Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Mar 14, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #5,161 of 7,355
Any non-tube AMP recommendations for the Diana TC appreciated. I was thinking about a GSX Mini.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #5,162 of 7,355
Any non-tube AMP recommendations for the Diana TC appreciated. I was thinking about a GSX Mini.

GSX-Mini is a good match but will not drive the Diana TC at its fullest. Pretty solid choice if not the best for the price nonetheless.
When i was looking out for under $4k SS amps i had my eyes on the Liquid Gold from Cavalli (9W @ 50 ohm i believe) : https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cavalli-audio-liquid-gold.19883/

There was a used model on ebay a few days ago that went for roughly the price of the gsx mini.
Powerman + Formula S or any XI Audio seem like a good pairing too, but you're already in a $5/6k figure

Mar 14, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #5,164 of 7,355
Does anyone know what material does the Diana Phi headband made of? Is it a metal, carbon fire, or some sort of hybrid?
I recall they said glass fiber in one of their YouTube videos!?
In some older YT Video they said it...

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #5,166 of 7,355
This is a great idea to use custom ear pads on Diana, where you the one who created these plastic inserts, are assume they are 3-d printed? Are they available as STL files, for sale of otherwise?
Yes, these are made for Sundara pads.
I'm still modifying them a bit because i did not anticipate the angle bend in the Diana chassis, hence the manual cut that i made on the one you see on my desk.
I can share the stl if you'd like

Mar 14, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #5,167 of 7,355
Finally able to try Diana TC, and also got home audition for the next few days.

First impression, I think all Diana headphones are about being intimate, neutral tilt to mid-centric character. Same goes to Diana TC, but it's the least mid-centric compared to any other Dianas. Vocal is a little more laidback, make the overall spectrum more balance, open, and spacious.

Cleaner black background, more detail, and better separation than Diana Phi. Treble quantity is about the same, Vocal is a little airier in DTC. Bass punch has a little more impact, with bigger sub bass rumble in Diana TC. Wide soundstage is only slight better, but depth 3D imaging is noticeably deeper and more structured with DTC.

i think for Diana Phi user, move up to DTC is the logical way.

DTC is another technical monster, along with LCD-5, but I think DTC do things a little better, especially in term of tonality (more balance).

Mar 14, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #5,170 of 7,355
Couldn't disagree more across the board than with this review. So goes his perceptive discourse. Good review.

Mar 14, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #5,172 of 7,355
Couldn't disagree more across the board than with this review. So goes his perceptive discourse. Good review.
Could it be that this guy didn't break in the DTCs enough? I heard they can change A LOT... but I am still watching his review, but I've seen mixed reviews of the DTCs so far thou. What's your take on them?

UPDATE: Hmm... he just said it's a loaner and broken in.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #5,173 of 7,355
Could it be that this guy didn't break in the DTCs enough? I heard they can change A LOT... but I am still watching his review, but I've seen mixed reviews of the DTCs so far thou. What's your take on them?

UPDATE: Hmm... he just said it's a loaner and broken in.
I'd skew more blame towards his gear and referential comparative context. You can perfect the TC drivers with tubes but he's very generally lukewarm overall.
I've already provided my thoughts on the DTC previous in the thread.

Mar 14, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #5,175 of 7,355
Watched the whole review and was really intrigued so I powered up the amp and went in for a real A/B testing with DTC and 1266, both of them powered at the same time on my audiovalve.
I stand by my thoughts : powered properly, DTC has the same sound signature and resolution capabilities as 1266 but with less bass impact and a bit less staging.
So in that regard I'm leaning to think there is something flawed in the reviewer's chain, whether DAC or Amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back