Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jul 14, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #2,146 of 7,416
I'd say this is accurate. I've had both (kept the Phi, sold the V2).
The Phi is a hint brighter (but I wouldn't call it bright). For me, it was the definition of everything and the clarity that made me prefer it to the V2.

Thanks for your feedback. I know this is the wrong way to judge, but there's a guy on YouTube, setting up sound demonstrations using microphones. He demonstrated both of them. ( & other headphones. ) The Phi stood out more for me, just the sense of clarity & there didn't appear to be too much in the way of harshness, but i'm not sure if there is an headphone that doesn't show harshness, dependent on how far the treble is going ?

How do you personally find the comfort of the Phi ?

Jul 14, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #2,147 of 7,416
Hello,
in my experience, the DIANA PHI in particular scales extremely with the power of the corresponding headphone amplifier. Therefore only balanced DAPs with a stable (!) output power of at least 500 mW into 32 Ohm are IMO recommendable. So I have made good experiences with:

IBASSO DX220 MAX
LOTOO PAW TOUCH GOLD
FIIO M15
A&K KANN CUBE

However, the ABYSS is considerably more dynamic when using mobile headphone amplifiers with output powers of over 1 watt/channel. In my review on Musicalhead, for example, I combined the DIANA PHI with a WOO AUDIO WA11 - an extremely harmonious interplay with a distinctly musical note. But the small dimensions of the Lady should never hide her great sound - powerful stationary headphone amplifiers are still her first choice...:wink:
Fidelio

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #2,148 of 7,416
Thanks for your feedback. I know this is the wrong way to judge, but there's a guy on YouTube, setting up sound demonstrations using microphones. He demonstrated both of them. ( & other headphones. ) The Phi stood out more for me, just the sense of clarity & there didn't appear to be too much in the way of harshness, but i'm not sure if there is an headphone that doesn't show harshness, dependent on how far the treble is going ?

How do you personally find the comfort of the Phi ?
I don't think the Phi are harsh. But they walk the line for me. I have an album or 2 that I find them to be a hint sibilant, just on the edge, but that is in the recording. It's a specific finger with a hot 's' pronunciation.

As for comfort, I find the Diana's to be mostly comfortable. The clamping force is quite intense. I have the DMS pads which helps and I find if I use a headphone stand that keeps the headband "stretched" a bit it helps as well. But if you are sensitive to it, it might be a problem.
I've decided to deal with it. I know people who decided not to.

Jul 14, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #2,149 of 7,416
I don't think the Phi are harsh. But they walk the line for me. I have an album or 2 that I find them to be a hint sibilant, just on the edge, but that is in the recording. It's a specific finger with a hot 's' pronunciation.

As for comfort, I find the Diana's to be mostly comfortable. The clamping force is quite intense. I have the DMS pads which helps and I find if I use a headphone stand that keeps the headband "stretched" a bit it helps as well. But if you are sensitive to it, it might be a problem.
I've decided to deal with it. I know people who decided not to.

Thanks for your further feedback, regards the comfort, like the sound you're going to get different opinions of course, but when you're spending a lot of money on any flagship model you shouldn't really expect a fit issue like this & i think trying to be different & unique to other brands, they're missing the point.

You wouldn't replace new windows for £xxxx and expect the manufacturer to say, "There may be a problem with the fit"

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #2,150 of 7,416
I can't help but noticed that the Diana phi original cable have locking mechanism on it, and there's no third party that sell the cables with that lock on it. If it's just a normal 2.5mm cable will it properly lock on the headphone?
thanks

True about that. However, we can use eidolic 2.5mm for Senn HD700 to Diana too.

A little downside, with stiff cable like Kimber 4PR (19 awg x 4 braid), sometime the long 2.5mm pin + stiff cable could bother my upper shoulder a little bit. It's completely bearable though.

Jul 14, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #2,151 of 7,416
cool. I really want to get a Diana phi and wondering if just the sp1000 and amp is good enough for it or do I need an extra amp?

The Ifi xCAN will do. I am using the SP1000 + Ifi xCAN (balanced input and output) to drive the Diana V1, and I will tell you: what a magnificent combo!

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #2,152 of 7,416
I am also entertaining the idea of upgrading my Diana V1 to the Phi. If anyone has a Phi and is willing to let it go, feel free to reach me out.

Jul 16, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #2,153 of 7,416
Thanks for your further feedback, regards the comfort, like the sound you're going to get different opinions of course, but when you're spending a lot of money on any flagship model you shouldn't really expect a fit issue like this & i think trying to be different & unique to other brands, they're missing the point.

You wouldn't replace new windows for £xxxx and expect the manufacturer to say, "There may be a problem with the fit"
I agree. I just ended up commiting and it's fine.
I do enjoy them. But objectively, they are too expensive and not comfy enough.

Edit: phone partial post duplication :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #2,154 of 7,416

Not how it works in headfi mate. Ever worn a pair of LCDs? They are all 500g+ I believe. People still buy them for the sound.

Diana is probably the lightest and most comfortable high end headphone out there.

Jul 16, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #2,155 of 7,416
Is it just me or does anyone else think Diana is the best looking high end headphone?

Sleek, minimalistic, just absolutely beautiful :D

Jul 16, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #2,156 of 7,416
Not how it works in headfi mate. Ever worn a pair of LCDs? They are all 500g+ I believe. People still buy them for the sound.

Diana is probably the lightest and most comfortable high end headphone out there.

I haven't....but i wouldn't for that reason....because of personal physical circumstances, i.e. that i need headphones that i can lay down with......so it could suggest from what you say that the Diana's MAY suit that purpose ??

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #2,157 of 7,416

yes, it is light weight for a high-end can but it is not the most comfortable - at least not for me

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #2,158 of 7,416
Is it just me or does anyone else think Diana is the best looking high end headphone?

Sleek, minimalistic, just absolutely beautiful :D

For me it's sleek, minimalistic, sturdy, and highly functional.

Can not beat the artistic feel of wood though. I do realise I'm a sucker with wood in audio :o2smile:

Jul 16, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #2,159 of 7,416
For me it's sleek, minimalistic, sturdy, and highly functional.

Can not beat the artistic feel of wood though. I do realise I'm a sucker with wood in audio :o2smile:

On the comfort matter, this is a response I got from Abyss, because I am trying to make the Diana even more comfortable.

"Hi John,

As for possibilities with glasses, one might be the DMS moded ear pads, as they shave a tiny bit of foam off the top.

Other suggestions would be to try and adjust the headphone sliders for less clamping, a half step could be made by sliding one side lower than the other. Third, purchase one of these foam pads for the headband, will fit Diana perfectly, and by raising height you can extend the sides lowering clamp pressure even further.

The ABYSS Team"

I will give these headband foam pads a try because I don't gave much hair to soften it :wink:

Amazon US
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G4BQC1B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon Canada
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07G4BQC1B...olid=1HBPRDU10LVLN&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Jul 16, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #2,160 of 7,416
I use a ZMF Pilot Pad on my V2, tho it is a snug fit as the Velcro portion just clears the Diana headband without it touching the headband or padding. I know they have a co-pilot which is bigger, but I wanted to be low-profile.

1594925904129.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back