Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
May 7, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #1,262 of 7,571
not with the phi but i did give the diana another listen today. my initial impression of it hasn't changed. i think that it's an exceptional transducer, but it is also one of the more uncomfortable headphones that i've worn, unfortunately.

May 7, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #1,263 of 7,571
Yea but we're taking about Diana Phi which has a different fit. Next month all Diana headphones will have the new spacious style ear pads.

Last edited:
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
May 7, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #1,264 of 7,571
not with the phi but i did give the diana another listen today. my initial impression of it hasn't changed. i think that it's an exceptional transducer, but it is also one of the more uncomfortable headphones that i've worn, unfortunately.
Same here , i thought the Diana will be better designed than the 1266 but still the comfort is the last thing you would look for in Abyss brand

May 7, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #1,265 of 7,571
Yea but we're taking about Diana Phi which has a different fi. Next month all Diana headphones will have the new spacious style ear pads.
i understand that and clarified it in my post. however, the pads weren't the issue, it was the pressure that was being exerted by the headphone just above my ears that continued to bother me this time around. if the new larger pads overcome that problem, then that would be a welcome improvement imo.

May 7, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #1,266 of 7,571
Same here , i thought the Diana will be better designed than the 1266 but still the comfort is the last thing you would look for in Abyss brand

I must disagree, it is true that the 1266 is difficult to get right but when you do it actually sits i n such a way as to reduce or eliminate the feeling of pressure and tightness on the head...they kind of float....finicky yes, uncomfortable no

May 7, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #1,267 of 7,571
I must disagree, it is true that the 1266 is difficult to get right but when you do it actually sits i n such a way as to reduce or eliminate the feeling of pressure and tightness on the head...they kind of float....finicky yes, uncomfortable no

hmm would you say the 1266 have the same comfort as the Susvara ?

its a relative thing between people , when i wear a headphone i like to move my head with the music and not stand still like a totem.

May 7, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #1,268 of 7,571
The susvara is a very comfortable conventional HP...it is easier to wear and it is lighter and requires far less work...that said what makes the 1266 a hassle also allows it to be perhaps the only HP that can be tuned to your liking, kind of like adjusting a loudspeaker position in your living room. personally I find the Susvara more comfortable but find the 1266 more adaptable....

May 8, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #1,270 of 7,571
I do not find that the Diana Phi is uncomfortable. It is a different fit than other headphones for sure and takes some getting used to. I am amazed by how light it is I had the LCD 4z and still have lcd x and clears. The diana phi is lighter than either of them. the only thing that I could want is a slightly deeper ear cup.

In terms of sound so far I would say that I like them more than i liked the 4z and I really liked that headphone. The treble on the Phi is much better than on any audeze i have ever heard. It is faster and more resolving to my ears. The mids are not as prominent as with the 4z which I think makes music sound more natural and not as warm. The sound of the Phi could be similar to my Dynaudio C1 driven by the Hegel H360. They are musical and resolving without being sibilant. In terms of bass the Phi goes deep but the bass is not boosted to me in the slightest. The sound stage of the Phi is amazing in depth and width for a headphone nevemind a headphone of its size. This is one area where the Phi is head and shoulders above the 4z in my opinion. The imaging is right there with the 4z and the 4z is excellent in regards to imaging you can clearly place instruments in an orchestra.

I am really enjoying the Phi it is incredible with jazz and orchestral music (rock and acoustic music are great too) I am listening to Kind of blue right now and you really get a sense of the space in the recording studio with these. If i was to sum them up so far they are like a cross between the best of the 4z and utopia with a better sound stage they have all of the resolution of utopia with better dynamics and macro details. I have listened for about 12 hours so after they are fully run in I will check back with an update.

May 9, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #1,271 of 7,571
@Joe Skubinski the Diana Phi are great headphones that only make me want to get the 1266 tc. I wish there was a way to get the ear-pads to seal less like on the 1266 when i pull the cups off my head slightly the bass is even better. Are there plans for an even deeper ear-pad for the Diana Phi?

May 9, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #1,272 of 7,571
@Joe Skubinski Do agree with CreditingKarma. I was slightly worried when I bought my Diana Phi that they would prove to be as uncomfortable and as I had experienced the first iteration of Diana. When the Phi arrived a month ago, I was quite astonished to realize how easy they are to wear and how well they fit. The actually feel as if they were almost floating. I sometimes forget that I still wear them after I've stopped listening to music. As CreditingKarma noticed, I've also found that the bass sounds slightly better when I loosen the pressure of the ear cups. Any thoughts on this, Joe?

May 10, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #1,273 of 7,571
Guys. I purchased a Kinki Studio EX-M1 amp, for use with my speakers, but also my Susvara and Diana Phi. I am listening with the Diana Phi right now, and I have never heard them produce bass, or sound like this in general, before. I mean, it was always good, but this is serious stuff.

I knew that the Susvara would probably light up from this amp, but wasn't sure about the Diana Phi. Damn, as long as you are careful with the volume knob (because yes, this is a powerful amp...) you are in for a treat. It is a completely different, complementary sound signature to something like the Wells Audio amps. I would love to compare it against the Headtrip Level 2.

At the price I picked this amp up for, for harder to drive planars, I honestly am not sure I could do better for the money. What I am hearing right now is serious business.

This amp + the AB-1266 TC might be a deadly combo. TBD. Hopefully soon : )

IMG_0435.jpeg

May 11, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #1,274 of 7,571
The drivers in Diana Phi being similar to the AB-1266 set damping in a big part by proximity/seal to the surface of your head.

As you found the low end response can be tailored by a break in seal. Just as with the AB-1266, Diana Phi does not require a seal to produce bass, a leak gives a nice bump in the 30-50 Hz range.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
May 11, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #1,275 of 7,571
The drivers in Diana Phi being similar to the AB-1266 set damping in a big part by proximity/seal to the surface of your head.

As you found the low end response can be tailored by a break in seal. Just as with the AB-1266, Diana Phi does not require a seal to produce bass, a leak gives a nice bump in the 30-50 Hz range.

@Joe Skubinski is there an easy way to attain a fit where the seal is broken with the diana phi? I love the sound with the seal broken slightly. Also this is a great headphone and is the gateway drug to the 1266 tc. Damn you guy my wallet is in a state of fear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back