Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Aug 18, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #993 of 7,358
I have a loser pair of Dianas coming in this week to compare to the Utopia and 1266 Original, looking forward to trying these out. My main amps currently are the VT200 and Lyr 3, with a wide variety of portables amps.

Aug 19, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #994 of 7,358
To clarify, the Diana's mentioned above are mine. They worked perfectly for two weeks. Absolutely love this phone. So much so I ordered a Phi CC straight away. Two days ago the right side stopped producing sound. Switched the cable inputs to the drivers, right side still no sound. Same with different source. Contacted Abyss and they were very prompt. I will be sending them back for service even though the right side is now working. Quite possibly a connection issue and not a driver problem. Either way I am more than satisfied with Abyss' service and thoroughly enthralled with their sound.

Aug 20, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #995 of 7,358
What I’ve found is Diana has poor fit for ppl with glasses. Also I tried the old 1266 pads on my Diana and they hugely improved the sound stage and bass.

I wear glasses and I've never had an issue with fit/comfort with the Diana headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #996 of 7,358
Diana fits about 85% of heads well, certainly a majority of people and moreso than most.
For those who are outliers to her shapely design, or who are simply accustomed to really large bulky ear pads that stick out like a sore thumb, a second ear pad option is upcoming.

Trying anything new is a challenge ! It takes time ! In time we get used to most things ! Whether it's shape or weight! I recently auditioned the HD800S having had a 'break' from the HD800.At one time the HD800 was easy to like (on the head) but during my audition time,I just couldn't get used to the 'feel' of the HD800S, even though they are the same! I recently auditioned the new Spirit Ragnar. Liked everything about them except that awful course foam pad! Auditioning them in the recent hot period didn't help but I'm sure I would have got used to them! Makes me think of the time I returned from holiday to put on a Uniform for work. Seemed like a straight jacket for a few hours until you noticed it no more! I guess the same would go for the Abyss??

Aug 28, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #1,001 of 7,358
The Loaner Pair arrived today, just came home from work, won’t get to serious comparisons till tomorrow.

Aug 31, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #1,003 of 7,358
I don't remember this being posted here before, and I thought it was kinda neat.

kd5fKg4.jpg

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #1,004 of 7,358
So far liking the headphone, got a great deal from a fellow Head Fier. Just a few comments, interestingly that while this headphone has the appearance of a portable headphone, it feels like a high end solid build headphone with good weight. Careful in how you handle these headphones, because the grill have that ceramic coating or whatever its called, I can easily scratch. My pair already have a couple of minor scratches, so if you are planning to take them around be super careful.

The cable looks kind of generic nothing fancy, but I know it is not, 500 bones for a new one (are you kidding?). Love that the cable does not have a any micro-phonics whatsoever. I have own multiple custom cables that I can't stand because you can hear even your fingers rubbing the cable, so good on them. However I noticed the cup end of the cable does not have some type of strain relief, looks like that cable is welded into the connector. I think this could be an issue of durability, but i guess time will tell.

Sound-wise, well this is my first really expensive high end open headphones. For a brief time I owned the HIFIMAN Edition X V2, which I loved for the warmer and relaxed sound sig with good lows. I currently own the the Z1Rs and the Senn HD-58X (150 dollars great value). But now i understand when people talk about sophisticated high end sound. These definitely sound dont sound cheap, the thing that comes to mind is how balanced they sound across the freq range, and I mean it in a good way. Usually, when I hear people say that, I think oh no they mean no BASS. But this babies have very good solid bass and sub bass, but it just does not really overdone. I would say they sound very detailed but not clinical, with great mids and detailed highs but not overdone. I can't say they sound thin nor too warm, but just very just down the middle. All i can think is sophisticated LOL.

Now, my personal opinion, I think these are super expensive, even at the discounted price i got them, I still feel guilty about owning them LOL but I guess if you are used to expensive cans these should not be a problem.

Lastly, I don't talk about soundstage nor separation, because for me tonality is probably the most important for me, so I dont think I am the right person to talk about soundstage.

I am powering them with a PS Stellar Gain Cell DAC around 25-30 volume compared to the Z1R that only need from 8-15 , so these definitely need some juice. With my Dragonfly Red connected to the iPhone, I have to go almost all the way up.

Overall, great headphone, great all rounder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back