Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
May 11, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #5,386 of 7,400
Speaking of tube amps, has anyone had good results running the DTC off a tube amp? It strikes me that one with enough power would be a nice complement.
Yes. Tubes were my preferred go to. Wa33, A&S Forge, Cavalli Liquid Crimson, and AIC-10 all worked excellently. WA8 also worked well enough but was lacking some technical performance compaired to straight out of my dap tbh

May 11, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #5,387 of 7,400
Speaking of tube amps, has anyone had good results running the DTC off a tube amp? It strikes me that one with enough power would be a nice complement.
I'd recommend going the tube pre route which you can cheat the power requirement. There are a few headamps that do well with both the 1266 and Diana although still limited.

May 11, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #5,388 of 7,400
I'd recommend going the tube pre route which you can cheat the power requirement. There are a few headamps that do well with both the 1266 and Diana although still limited.

Interesting. I'm running my DTC's through a very powerful speaker amp (Kinki EX-M1) -- I guess the tube preamp would add the fullness/warmth/holographic effect?

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #5,389 of 7,400
Interesting. I'm running my DTC's through a very powerful speaker amp (Kinki EX-M1) -- I guess the tube preamp would add the fullness/warmth/holographic effect?
It depends on the execution i.e. tubes, circuit, power supply. Ideally you implement a hybrid: no power cap, improved bloom, decay without a cost of commission.
This is difficult in any practice pre, or amp stage but careful considerations are key to achievement.

I'd only recommend the 300B with excellent trade. 2A3 for a more solid state. EL34 for a real middleground and then the 45 type as the very best resolution and spatial information. Caveats for a softer sound -- mates well with Abyss.

May 11, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #5,390 of 7,400
It depends on the execution i.e. tubes, circuit, power supply. Ideally you implement a hybrid: no power cap, improved bloom, decay without a cost of commission.
This is difficult in any practice pre, or amp stage but careful considerations are key to achievement.

I'd only recommend the 300B with excellent trade. 2A3 for a more solid state. EL34 for a real middleground and then the 45 type as the very best resolution and spatial information. Caveats for a softer sound -- mates well with Abyss.
I really appreciate this input, though I have to admit I'm having difficulty understanding some of the details of your post.

I guess if I'm adding a tube preamp to a speaker amp, I don't need to limit myself to tube amps designed for headphones. The world of non-headphone amps is totally new to me -- anyone have any product recommendations?

May 11, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #5,391 of 7,400
Mind explaining that last part? Im having trouble wrapping my head around it. Are you saying that 45s have the best resolution but are soft? Or are you saying all those tubes (300b, 2a3, el34, and 45) are all soft?

Yah. I think thats the easiest route. Tons of good tubes that will run DTC just fine but you do have to be a bit choosey.
I guess if I'm adding a tube preamp to a speaker amp, I don't need to limit myself to tube amps designed for headphones. The world of non-headphone amps is totally new to me -- anyone have any product recommendations?
just personally, if you dont use speakers, I would lean more twoards getting a headphone amp with a good pre as opposed to a dedicated pre. Just gives you a lot more versatility tbh, and I don't think finding pure tubes for DTC is all that hard in the first place. Im more than happy to give some reqs if you let us know your budget. Just on a personal level, I think the kind of 2-3.5k used range would be where I would put the general sweet spot for DTC price/performance. Below that range and vintage preamps may be a better bet overall.

May 11, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #5,392 of 7,400
I really appreciate this input, though I have to admit I'm having difficulty understanding some of the details of your post.

Get your feet wet doing some light reading and it won't be as difficult to understand. It's just one of few avenues you can explore.

May 11, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #5,393 of 7,400
Mind explaining that last part? Im having trouble wrapping my head around it. Are you saying that 45s have the best resolution but are soft? Or are you saying all those tubes (300b, 2a3, el34, and 45) are all soft?

Yah. I think thats the easiest route. Tons of good tubes that will run DTC just fine but you do have to be a bit choosey.

just personally, if you dont use speakers, I would lean more twoards getting a headphone amp with a good pre as opposed to a dedicated pre. Just gives you a lot more versatility tbh, and I don't think finding pure tubes for DTC is all that hard in the first place. Im more than happy to give some reqs if you let us know your budget. Just on a personal level, I think the kind of 2-3.5k used range would be where I would put the general sweet spot for DTC price/performance. Below that range and vintage preamps may be a better bet overall.
The 45 has better detail, resolution, and spatial presence. The 300B notably the WE300B has better weight, better definition. These are the top echelon.

EL34 and 2A3 split performance tier, the 2A3 is notably clean sounding but underwhelming in tube harmonics.

May 11, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #5,394 of 7,400

I just realized you are in toronto. Go hit up headphones.com. IIRC they have a showroom there. A&S forge was an awesome pairing with the DTC and they will likely have some other options on display as well

May 11, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #5,395 of 7,400
The 45 has better detail, resolution, and spatial presence. The 300B notably the WE300B has better weight, better definition. These are the top echelon.

EL34 and 2A3 split performance tier, the 2A3 is notably clean sounding but underwhelming in tube harmonics.
Got it. That makes sense. Ive only heard a single amp for each of these tubes (and none for the 45s) so I wasnt sure how well my impressions lined up with just their general sound. TBH from this description it seems like I need to look into 45s. Resolution and speed nearing SS but tube stage is my personal sweet spot for gear (hence the super linear and dry tubes I run in most of my gear)

May 11, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #5,396 of 7,400
Got it. That makes sense. Ive only heard a single amp for each of these tubes (and none for the 45s) so I wasnt sure how well my impressions lined up with just their general sound. TBH from this description it seems like I need to look into 45s. Resolution and speed nearing SS but tube stage is my personal sweet spot for gear (hence the super linear and dry tubes I run in most of my gear)
Just keep in mind 45 production is limited. The best 45 type aren't manufactured > the solid plates aren't at the level of mesh Globes.

What I would do is select a circuit with switchable output.

May 11, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #5,397 of 7,400
What's the best amp to drive this headphones?
When I switched from Yulong DA10+Topping A90 to Burson Conductor 3XR it was a wow, and my V2 blossomed!

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #5,398 of 7,400
What's the best amp to drive this headphones?
Any help will be appreciated.

My suggestion would to get an XI Broadway since it’s the “matching” amp as a reference.

If it’s good enough (I feel it is) for your ears then you can stay there.
If it’s not worth it then at least you can sell it and scale down to something better suited.

As far as tube amps go: the new Feliks Envy looks promising.

May 12, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #5,399 of 7,400
My suggestion would to get an XI Broadway since it’s the “matching” amp as a reference.

If it’s good enough (I feel it is) for your ears then you can stay there.
If it’s not worth it then at least you can sell it and scale down to something better suited.

As far as tube amps go: the new Feliks Envy looks promising.
I would think if you’re willing to spend that kind of coin on an amp, you should first consider upgrading the V2 to the TC.

May 12, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #5,400 of 7,400
I would think if you’re willing to spend that kind of coin on an amp, you should first consider upgrading the V2 to the TC.
True you can go for the better cans but you’ll need/want a better amp (I did) eventually.
I’ve noticed some people who keep chasing better headphones without establishing a solid source and amp then seem discontent with the sound they’re achieving.

It reminds me of my bass collecting days when I would always get a nicer bass but never upgraded my amp and cab. Then when I finally dropped money on a good source my tone finally shone thru.

I’m actually convinced I sold off some perfectly good instruments just cause I was gimping them with my practice combo amps. Lol. I’m trying to keep the same in mind when purchasing headphones so I personally found it worthwhile to drop money on my source and amp first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back