Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
May 12, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #5,401 of 7,397
I don’t disagree, but I maintain that, generally speaking, a dollar upgrade in headphones yields more improvement than a dollar upgrade in amp. For example, I’d bet that the DTC run through, say, a GS-X mini sounds a lot better than a Dv2 run through an XI Broadway.

May 12, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #5,402 of 7,397
I don’t disagree, but I maintain that, generally speaking, a dollar upgrade in headphones yields more improvement than a dollar upgrade in amp. For example, I’d bet that the DTC run through, say, a GS-X mini sounds a lot better than a Dv2 run through an XI Broadway.
Id love to compare the GSX mini vs the Broadway with my Phi's.

Ill admit that the XI Broadway didn't make the Diana V2 sound impressive to me. I guess I didn't love the V2's though because the Phi's on the other hand are much closer to what I expected out of the Diana. Im betting the TC is awesome.

May 12, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #5,403 of 7,397
I've found that the Diana TC sounds shockingly good even with portable sources. Can't imagine what a higher caliber front end would do.

May 12, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #5,405 of 7,397
I would think if you’re willing to spend that kind of coin on an amp, you should first consider upgrading the V2 to the TC.
Hard disagree here tbh. While I don't think going to Broadway is necessary, at least something like a mini is. Same deal with dacs. I don't think it makes a ton of sense to spend 2x the cost of v2 on sources bit equal amounts certainly does. Imo v2 need a shocking amount of quality source to shine. To the point where, imo, quality matters even more than power for v2. This is even mor3 true for VC
I second that. Both TC and V2s sound incredible with the Mojo 2 which is surprising since they love quite some power.
Imo the Diana series are one of the most graceful sets of can to being underpowered. While they obviously open up with good amounts of juice they can sound excellent even with tiny amounts of power

May 13, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #5,406 of 7,397
I second that. Both TC and V2s sound incredible with the Mojo 2 which is surprising since they love quite some power.
eskamobob1:
Imo the Diana series are one of the most graceful sets of can to being underpowered. While they obviously open up with good amounts of juice they can sound excellent even with tiny amounts of power
My point exactly. They already sound shockingly good on a good mobile source, especially for a planar magnetic design. By good source I mean that my ifi Go blu can drive them but it takes something like a Mojo for the bass to pump. For at-home listening of course there are better, more potent options.

May 13, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #5,407 of 7,397
And my Diana TCs aren't even remotely broken in yet. I was surprised and delighted to hear what they sounded like right out of the box.

May 13, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #5,409 of 7,397
Probably because break-in isn’t actually a thing.
Certainly a controversial topic. The smart folks at Audio 46 mentioned that the DTCs would take 50-60 hours to really blossom. To me, they were blossomed at first listen.

May 13, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #5,410 of 7,397
Probably because break-in isn’t actually a thing.

I don't understand people willing to die on this hill tbh. It has no cost and if it doesn't exist, it can't hurt. Why not just let people break crap in if they feel like it changes?

May 13, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #5,411 of 7,397
I’m not trying to stop anyone from doing
what they want to do, but I still maintain that headphone burn-in/break-in (other than brain burn-in) is not real. I think the empirical results are pretty clear on this.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #5,413 of 7,397
Its mostly leather Pads break-in to me, i was convinced DTC opened up so much after 50+ hours of looping color-of-the-month-noise-wave-flac, then i got the 1266 which was as good on the first listen as it is now 100+hours after.
Pad fitting/stiffness makes a lot of difference so i might give that more importance in the future :)

May 14, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #5,414 of 7,397
I had the opportunity to (very briefly) compare Diana TC, Diana Phi and 1266 TC today (both mine).

IMG-5141.jpg

Diana TC signature is definitely closer to the 1266. Bass is punchy and fast, mids might be a bit more forward on the DTC. I also found it quite hard to drive. Stage was more intimate than the 1266, in fact not too far from the Phi.

In my case I don't see a reason to own the Diana TC as the 1266 does everything it does better. So I am back to deciding whether I keep the 1266 or the Phi 😅.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #5,415 of 7,397
I've found that the Diana TC sounds shockingly good even with portable sources. Can't imagine what a higher caliber front end would do.
Agree . While my HyBy R6 Pro does a decent job my iFi iDSD Diablo will rock them and balanced out of it to my Liquid Carbon is definitely sweeter and still rearranging things so haven’t tried them on my Master 9 from my Yggy yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back