Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Feb 18, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #3,797 of 7,405
The V2 lacks a bit in dynamics and bass is lackluster when powered by the Hugo2. I just got an A&K Kann Alpha which seems to be working quite nicely but the DAC section is a step down from the Hugo2.

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #3,798 of 7,405
Sure the Diana/Phi will make noise with almost anything !
However personal experience has borne out that none of the Chord gear, nor any of the iFi products of which I have tried (most every model) are of a calibre and/or synergistic tonality to fully reveal the true extent of gravitas and sonic corporality of which the ABYSS can elicit.
YMMV :)

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #3,800 of 7,405
Thanks everyone for chiming in. @coolhand, what is your recommended amp then? Anything battery powered and portable? (apart from XIAudio Broadway that can run on battery for a while). Thanks!

If you really need something portable, Romi Audio BX-2 Plus is excellent to drive Diana V2. However it’s a pure power amp, so no DAC inside. You will need to connect a DAP or DAC to it.

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #3,801 of 7,405
Thank you, @normie610 will look into it. Plan to audition Hugo 2 and ifi Diablo next week and see for myself if it is better to have 2 devices (Hugo 2 as a DAC and possibly getting Romi Audio BX-2 Plus for better amplification, or ifi Diablo is good enough DAC and has enough power for my music). If anyone is interested, I can share my impressions with you later.

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #3,802 of 7,405
Thank you, @normie610 will look into it. Plan to audition Hugo 2 and ifi Diablo next week and see for myself if it is better to have 2 devices (Hugo 2 as a DAC and possibly getting Romi Audio BX-2 Plus for better amplification, or ifi Diablo is good enough DAC and has enough power for my music). If anyone is interested, I can share my impressions with you later.
You can also check out Cayin’s new portable amp C9. I wrote a review of it which you can find through the front page of headfi or here. :)

I also wrote more specifically about its pairing with V2 in a separate post, which I reproduce below.

Yes C9 has no problem in driving V2 properly. I am not sure whether you have experienced a headphone that is “not driven properly”. I have tried V2 with some DAPs and some desktop gears, and sometimes the music is apparently plain, lacking dynamics, and no full body of the music. C9, on the other hand, has no such problem. With it, V2 is dynamic and pleasant.

However, I do want to say that there is room for improvement. When compared with Diana’s default Amp the Xiaudio Broadway (balanced), the Broadway has better overall presentation. With C9 SS, the sound from V2 is a bit too harsh and too intimate. With C9 Tube, the sound becomes too soft. With the Broadway Amp. You get the full dynamics and a wider soundstage. Feels like the perfect balance between C9’s SS and tube mode, with the addition of a wider sound stage.

Still, I give C9 enough credit for its performance in driving V2. I feel like you can get a very good idea of Diana V2’s performance with it.

Diana V2 is a very insensitive headphone, so given that C9 can drive it properly, it should have no problem in driving most Planars, unless we go to Abyss 1266 or Hifiman Susvara. Also, the Broadway Amp I mention here is the default pairing of Diana V2 - its tuning is done with the Diana. Therefore, it sets a really high bar in terms of driving V2. I am quite happy that C9 + V2 approaches the "default pairing" really close. Note also that the Broadway Amp is an even more expensive Amp (MSRP $2299).

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #3,803 of 7,405
Thanks everyone for chiming in. @coolhand, what is your recommended amp then? Anything battery powered and portable? (apart from XIAudio Broadway that can run on battery for a while). Thanks!
In the context of my personal opinion and limited experience of the
vast number of products on offer, what I can recommend is that you consider ignoring everybody, including myself (!) and try to narrow down your own very specific usage, cost etc.. scenario via a process of elimination!

I might have mentioned the XI Broadway, but you've already weeded that off your list... So continue on that path and you'll likely find a much slimmer field of viable contenders which should make your choice much easier :)

Ideally at that point you'll then be able to arrange some means to audition the remaining potential candidates in order to make a qualified purchase without regrets.

I've ended up using the 'transportable' Sony DMP-Z1 for the majority of my Diana Phi listening time (as well as also driving room audio speaker systems at other times).

So whilst I also have some very significantly higher power & cost amps and dacs at my disposal, the comprehensively featured ultra-ergonomic DMP-Z1 just synergises so incredibly well with the Diana and gets everything balanced so damn right for my sonic preferences and practical requirements that it's ultimately worth it's weight in gold, to me!!

Good luck, I can appreciate that it ain't easy being so spoilt for choices as we are these days 😎

Feb 18, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #3,804 of 7,405
Thank you, @coolhand for words of encouragement! Sony DMP-Z1 is definitely out of my price range, but excited to hear others are enjoying it. Based on Abyss's video comparing AMPs I would have bought either GSX Mini or XI Broadway, the issue is that my use case has recently changed (hence selling desktop gear) and needing something more transportable. XI Broadway is battery powered, but unsure if the battery charge would be enough and wouldn't get worse over time. Another concern I had with that amp was its input being only balanced, what if I decide to buy Hugo 2, will it work together (or do I need an adapter). Thoughts, like that, you know.

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #3,806 of 7,405
So I have been going back and forth between Hugo 2 and ifi Diablo now for the last 4 hours, and here are my impressions. Since Hugo 2 is single ended only, I have been listening to ifi Diablo that way too (if I decide to buy one, I would go balanced most likely for more power headroom).

Two things stood out to me: Hugo had much better soundstage, "Diana Ross - Upside Down" song sounded so much wider. I feel that Hugo 2 is much better dac, if you pair it with a power amp (like Romi Audio BX-2 Plus I keep hearing on the forums). Now for ifi Diablo, every single song sounded better to my ears, more "musical" and enjoyable. Bass felt more controlled, slamming harder when asked for. The whole thing sounds a tiny bit warmer and maybe less resolving (again, most likely due to the DAC differences). But overall, if I only could select one component to pair my Diana V2, it would be ifi Diablo. Unfortunately, the build quality isn't as solid as Hugo, and the demo unit I am auditioning with has a small channel imbalance on super low volume levels (starts left, before the right channel kicks in).

I don't know, I feel like I am starting to believe in the Diana's power requirements. Don't take me wrong, Hugo 2 can sound very loud (have it on blue and if I go louder it hurts my ears). Single ended on Diablo I am at 11 o'clock and I am worried that with balanced cable, it would be at 9, where there is a channel imbalance. Maybe this demonstrates (at least to me) that Diana V2 can benefit from a power amp (like ifi Diablo or Romi Audio BX-2 Plus). Unfortunately, ifi Diablo does not have analog in, so cannot test it with Hugo 2 as the dac.

Now the real question is, Hugo 2 + Romi Audio BX-2 Plus would cost like 3k, where as ifi Diablo is "only" 1k. For those interested where I am coming from, I bought DanClark's Ether CX, just to realise I want something better, so auditioned Focal Clear and Hifiman Arya (while getting Diana V2 just to prove to myself that it does not make sense to go any higher). After auditioning these 3 headphones, I just couldn't use anything else than Diana V2. This is kinda how I feel about Hugo 2 and ifi Diablo. I want to like Hugo 2 so much (build quality, better detail retrieval/soundstage), but I feel like its amplification properties are holding it back. Also with ifi Diablo, when using Eco mode, it is not as good as Normal, which is subpar to Turbo (all of these on Single ended cable).

I honestly don't know what to do here.

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #3,807 of 7,405
So I have been going back and forth between Hugo 2 and ifi Diablo now for the last 4 hours, and here are my impressions. Since Hugo 2 is single ended only, I have been listening to ifi Diablo that way too (if I decide to buy one, I would go balanced most likely for more power headroom).

Two things stood out to me: Hugo had much better soundstage, "Diana Ross - Upside Down" song sounded so much wider. I feel that Hugo 2 is much better dac, if you pair it with a power amp (like Romi Audio BX-2 Plus I keep hearing on the forums). Now for ifi Diablo, every single song sounded better to my ears, more "musical" and enjoyable. Bass felt more controlled, slamming harder when asked for. The whole thing sounds a tiny bit warmer and maybe less resolving (again, most likely due to the DAC differences). But overall, if I only could select one component to pair my Diana V2, it would be ifi Diablo. Unfortunately, the build quality isn't as solid as Hugo, and the demo unit I am auditioning with has a small channel imbalance on super low volume levels (starts left, before the right channel kicks in).

I don't know, I feel like I am starting to believe in the Diana's power requirements. Don't take me wrong, Hugo 2 can sound very loud (have it on blue and if I go louder it hurts my ears). Single ended on Diablo I am at 11 o'clock and I am worried that with balanced cable, it would be at 9, where there is a channel imbalance. Maybe this demonstrates (at least to me) that Diana V2 can benefit from a power amp (like ifi Diablo or Romi Audio BX-2 Plus). Unfortunately, ifi Diablo does not have analog in, so cannot test it with Hugo 2 as the dac.

Now the real question is, Hugo 2 + Romi Audio BX-2 Plus would cost like 3k, where as ifi Diablo is "only" 1k. For those interested where I am coming from, I bought DanClark's Ether CX, just to realise I want something better, so auditioned Focal Clear and Hifiman Arya (while getting Diana V2 just to prove to myself that it does not make sense to go any higher). After auditioning these 3 headphones, I just couldn't use anything else than Diana V2. This is kinda how I feel about Hugo 2 and ifi Diablo. I want to like Hugo 2 so much (build quality, better detail retrieval/soundstage), but I feel like its amplification properties are holding it back. Also with ifi Diablo, when using Eco mode, it is not as good as Normal, which is subpar to Turbo (all of these on Single ended cable).

I honestly don't know what to do here.

What digital transport you’re using to feed both Hugo 2 and Diablo? If you’re not using a computer, then I’d suggest a DAP + BX-2 Plus pairing.

You can look at iBasso DX300 (around $1.1k) or Hiby R8 ($1.8k) to be paired with BX-2 Plus. Also, you should try balanced out from Diablo, I believe you will hear some improvement with Diana V2.

Feb 19, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #3,808 of 7,405
Transport will be something that is Roon ready (testing things today with my Macbook, tried iPad and worked too). If 2go did not have so many bad reviews, would consider it. Else, might build myself a RPi4 with Roon bridge. I hear DAPs do not have good Roon endpoint support (since they will use Android's mixer and downsample).

I like ifi Diablo's sound power more, but Hugo's DAC better. Unfortunately, I won't be able to audition BX-2 Plus without first buying it, and in order to listen to Hugo 2 + BX-2 Plus, it's a blind risk of 3k, rather than 1k ifi Diablo. If my understanding is correct, what I am liking about ifi Diablo is its power. So pairing Hugo 2 with BX-2 Plus should give me superior DAC + superior power, right?

Also, @normie610, are you using high or low gain on BX-2 Plus with Diana V2? And at what o'clock is your volume nob? I am guessing you are using its balanced out with a balanced 4.4mm cable, any issues with channel imbalance on lower o'clock volume positions?

Feb 19, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #3,809 of 7,405
Transport will be something that is Roon ready (testing things today with my Macbook, tried iPad and worked too). If 2go did not have so many bad reviews, would consider it. Else, might build myself a RPi4 with Roon bridge. I hear DAPs do not have good Roon endpoint support (since they will use Android's mixer and downsample).

I like ifi Diablo's sound power more, but Hugo's DAC better. Unfortunately, I won't be able to audition BX-2 Plus without first buying it, and in order to listen to Hugo 2 + BX-2 Plus, it's a blind risk of 3k, rather than 1k ifi Diablo. If my understanding is correct, what I am liking about ifi Diablo is its power. So pairing Hugo 2 with BX-2 Plus should give me superior DAC + superior power, right?

Also, @normie610, are you using high or low gain on BX-2 Plus with Diana V2? And at what o'clock is your volume nob? I am guessing you are using its balanced out with a balanced 4.4mm cable, any issues with channel imbalance on lower o'clock volume positions?

I haven’t heard Hugo 2 & BX-2+ combo so I don’t know whether it will be superior against Diablo. BX-2+ is a really clean and transparent sounding amp, so it will amplify the sound characteristics of the source (in your case Hugo 2).

I’m using high gain with Diana V2 from 4.4mm balanced out, and no channel imbalance with lower volume. My usual listening volume is between 9-11 o’clock position, depending on the recording.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #3,810 of 7,405
I haven’t heard Hugo 2 & BX-2+ combo so I don’t know whether it will be superior against Diablo. BX-2+ is a really clean and transparent sounding amp, so it will amplify the sound characteristics of the source (in your case Hugo 2).

I’m using high gain with Diana V2 from 4.4mm balanced out, and no channel imbalance with lower volume. My usual listening volume is between 9-11 o’clock position, depending on the recording.

I want to hear that sexy Diana out of my Sp2k cu 😛😎 must be heaven 😃🤪🙀

Attachments

• PXL_20210220_033821828.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210220_033821828.MP.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back