Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jan 11, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #3,197 of 7,405
From the review:

"I had to really floor my headphone amp to get it to sing"

Sure. Blast an amp well past its linear region and wonder you have crap coming out the other end. And who tf listens @94 - 114DB? This guy is a complete moron.
I noticed this part too... the fact that he did not see this as a potential issue behind the measurement result surprises me.

I bet he will get horrible result if he measures Hifiman Survana.

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #3,199 of 7,405
OK I am sending my Broadway AMP to him to be measured along with the V2. Let’s see how this will go. :)

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #3,201 of 7,405
The beauty of ASR is that it's all objective data at the end of the day. There is no element of Human Dilution if I may. Amir measures how the gear perform from an engineering point of view. As someone who has been burned many times following subjective analysis on Headfi and other places, with ASR, you are getting exactly what you see.

I'd rather take ASR than any one of these Headphone Review Websites(Headfonia, Headfonics etc) whose reviews read like ad pieces rather than provide any actual information.

I agree about the "ad pieces" reviews, but feel that the whole of ASR is an ad piece to Topping.
In one review, couldn't install a window driver - bad review. Most of early reviews of products are compared to Topping dacs, like it is some gold standard, may be it is, I'm just not aware of it. Looks like he is trying, but something is missing big time, as his reviews all over the place.
I do miss Tyll Hertsens.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #3,202 of 7,405
I agree about the "ad pieces" reviews, but feel that the whole of ASR is an ad piece to Topping.
In one review, couldn't install a window driver - bad review. Most of early reviews of products are compared to Topping dacs, like it is some gold standard, may be it is, I'm just not aware of it. Looks like he is trying, but something is missing big time, as his reviews all over the place.
I do miss Tyl Hertsens.
It is objective performance though. All he is doing is measuring Objective Performance of the DACs, there's no subjectivity involved. Topping actually takes his reviews into account and integrates them into their engineering, probably why they measure so good.

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #3,203 of 7,405
Now we gotta see the PHI !

I was dissapointed with the lack of detail I was expecting when I got my V2. I know its supposed to be less than the PHI, but even still I assumed it wouldn't be so subdued. My reference is HD800S with and without EQ.

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #3,204 of 7,405
Someone send a Phi to him for measurement! LOL

No I am not serious. He seems to be quite knowledgeable in measuring DACs and AMPs. For headphones I am really not so sure.

Also I just learned from him that he used Topping A90 for the measurement.

I am also sending a bunch of other gears in one package for him to review: LPG, LPS1, and JPS’s superconductor XLR interconnects.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #3,205 of 7,405
I'm usually 12 o'clock for "modern" recordings and classical type stuff I can be from 75 to 100% volume on medium gain. Usually its just loud enough to prevent the high gain option. I try not to listen too loud either.

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #3,206 of 7,405

Having to "floor it" means you're stressing it. Regardless of the device. And again, who listens to music at 94-115db?

It's like saying "this car is unable to turn down a small street while going 90 so it's crap. Look I just did it and it crashed. This car is crap".

I'd also love to see the amp measurements while under the stress/load he's putting it under. Probably not too good.

These measurements are idiotic. It's why no one outside of his little cult takes him seriously.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #3,208 of 7,405
Someone send a Phi to him for measurement! LOL

No I am not serious. He seems to be quite knowledgeable in measuring DACs and AMPs. For headphones I am really not so sure.

I am also sending a bunch of other gears in one package for him to review: LPG, LPS1, and JPS’s superconductor XLR interconnects.
Very nice!
I'm Betting the cables will measure exactly the same. Putting it on the record.

Jan 12, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #3,209 of 7,405
Very nice!
I'm Betting the cables will measure exactly the same. Putting it on the record.
I am thinking the same thing! But still will be interested to get it measured and compared against some Amazon basic cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back