Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jan 6, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #3,167 of 7,405
Yes very good thanks. Although I guess to be taken with a pinch of salt as they sell half of them :)
I think this also somewhat works the other way around - they like some of the gears so much that they include them on their website. You can easily buy any of these products from other stores, for example, Audio 46 or Woo's own website.

Funny enough, I bought my Diana V2 from Woo Audio because I was first interested in the WA11, and only found out about the Diana V2 afterwards as they recommended it. Now, I have sold the WA11 but has been a huge fan of Abyss. :)

Jan 6, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #3,168 of 7,405
If you listen to the conversation it sounds to me like they are really trying hard to be fair and honest. Obviously leaning towards ones that work best with their headphones. If you are watching the video I would think this is to be expected.

If I do purchase the HeadAmp GS-X Mini I would probably purchase it from HeadAmp, not Abyss. I personally think they are offering it for convenience and not because they are making a ton of money. It is the same price but HeadAmp can provide it faster. I do like and appreciate that Abyss recommends the standard volume control and not paying for the upgraded one that is offered.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #3,169 of 7,405
Yeah was just adding a touch of skepticism :wink:

Also difficult to know really what the ratings really mean. Is the difference between C and A really just that 1% of magic that you only hear when you are lying down late at night in the music zone..... or means C is only just useable, and A is truly night and day difference.

Jan 6, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #3,170 of 7,405

Also difficult to know really what the ratings really mean. Is the difference between C and A really just that 1% of magic that you only hear when you are lying down late at night in the music zone..... or means C is only just useable, and A is truly night and day difference.

Since I used to own WA11 and is now a happy owner of Broadway (balanced), the difference to me in performance is quite significant. So I would say you should expect a big difference between A and C. I am less sure about between A and B.

Jan 6, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #3,171 of 7,405

Have you watched the video? The three gentleman actually discussing the pros and cons and come to an agreement on which level each of the amplifiers should be in. There were times that one person felt one amp was higher or lower than the others felt and he would make his point and reason why. Sometimes they agreed with the point and moved the level.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #3,172 of 7,405
Yes of course I watched it.
OK OK - I take back my light hearted sceptical comment :)
I am sure they do indeed only stock products they love and believe in. And indeed they rated some they don’t stock highly, and even some they recommend / bundle for portable use (like Diana and Ifi XCAN) quite low.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #3,175 of 7,405
I am liking these posts :) Especially about Woo WA8 as I was hoping that would sound nice! But it’s only rated at 350mw I think?

Thoroughly confused with some people saying they need loads of power as others not - I guess I will have to use my ears - but that will confuse me too as I won’t know what I am missing?! :)

Like I said I don’t want super loud but do listen to EDM.

And about 800mw into 16ohm on the Broadway S.... is this not the same as 1600mw into 32 ohm on the balanced version?

DMS said in one of the videos they recommend 1500mw at 50 ohm to drive the V2 properly. I guess in the case of xCAN, the standard is a bit lower for a portable amp 🤷‍♂️

Jan 8, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #3,176 of 7,405
Right then - they arrived a couple of hours ago, so some real world feedback from a non expert real world user who isn’t too obsessive about instrument placement or soundstage depth and the likes.

1) Hugo 2 sounds great. As someone said earlier the power doesn’t seem to be an issue I barely need to go past light blue on the volume so loads of volume left but it would be unbearably loud.
Bass is present and tight - but I wouldn’t say it’s really plentiful. But coming from RAAL SR1a I quote like this presentation - if it a little on the “bright / sharp” side.

2) Woo WA8.... or WOW WA8 when I switched over. Every just got smoother, and the bass got more plentiful and beefier but still clean and tight and textured.

Whoever said it was a good match was spot on!!! And once again I can’t go past 5 on the dial without it being too loud.

So I am sure I will get more of something with more power - but I think it’s misleading to say you “need” lots of power to drive these properly (woo is 350mw?)

I was worried I wouldn’t be able to hear them at full volume, or the bass would be non existent - but definitely not the case IMHO :)

I’ve since heard from other happy users with the Broadway S, WOO WA11..... so I am sure bigger more expensive amps will add something, but maybe no more than any other equipment where the law of diminishing returns comes into play once you get past a certain point.

Anyway - I am sure curiosity will get the better of me, but if I could go no further than the WOO / Hugo then I would be very happy and satisfied with an amazing sounding pair of phones!

And such a brilliant simple design - understated :) And no wasted “treasure chest” of a presentation box that would just sit in a cupboard, which I like.

:)

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #3,177 of 7,405
Totally respect this post and if the Hugo2 worked for you it’s great.
I can only go by my own testing, which was hours plugging in and plugging out the headphones to the same songs and the Hugo2 just lacked to me compared to the Burson, there was no slam on tight bass, it was a thud and it always felt like it never had the oomph to get that sound as it should be. I gave up on it very very quickly because if that. No issues with treble and being bright, but when comparing these side by side (alongside others) the Hugo2 to me absolutely lacked what others gave.
But we all have different ears, and maybe I’m too analytical on comparing a single song and hearing differences that to some won’t matter, the Hugo2 and Burson Conductor 3XR are around the same cost and it just totally lacked for me...
Am I alone here, has anyone else found the Hugo2 to just not deliver the best portrayal with these headphones?

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #3,178 of 7,405
I have never tried the Hugo... I have tried the Bryston BHA-1, my Astell&Kern portable (I had an AK240 now I have a SE200, both worked great), and my T+A DAC. All worked beautifully with my Abyss Diana Phi. I have a 789 coming (purchased cheaply pre-owned) just to play around with and I am hoping to eventually pick up a HeadAmp GS-X Mini.

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #3,179 of 7,405
I actually spoke to Chord as I live in their home town alongside KEF also and offered to lend them my phi for their thoughts. But they declined and just stated they were unsure. Don’t get me wrong, even my ifi Xcan sounds great, but even the ifi Black Label I had with me and also trialed alongside the Hugo2 just gave such better bass slam.
By the way I’m not a Hugo2 hater here :)
I was desperate for it, it ticked all my boxes and I can get a huge discount on it, but it just simply didn’t work for me and many people advised me against it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back