Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jan 6, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #3,151 of 7,405
Thanks good to hear :)

I do read sometimes the talk of needing high power / expensive amps for hard to drive headphones is not always as important as we are led to believe. I don’t listen at extremely loud volumes - although I know there is talk of peak power needed and voltage swings!

Jan 6, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #3,152 of 7,405
Great thanks. Did you try Hugo in “line out mode”?

Will probably try the XI Broadway S if my conclusions are the same as yours !
The Broadway S still doesn’t have enough power though according to Abyss - you will need the balanced version. However, the balanced version doesn’t take RCA input...

Jan 6, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #3,154 of 7,405
I did have a Bryston BHA-1 for a bit. Way more power than my Diana Phi's needed. I may eventually get another amplifier for home use, although the T+A DAC has plenty of power. I am considering the Headamp GS-X Mini. Looks to be the perfect combination of features and quality!

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #3,155 of 7,405
Really? Interesting - I thought it was designed for the Diana? They also say the Ifi XCAN was specially chosen for the Diana and that is only 1watt?
Yes, but only the balanced version is designed for Diana. You can check this on Abyss’s Broadway (balanced) sales page.

Jan 6, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #3,156 of 7,405
Yes I see that now - weird that Abyss are only selling the electronics to go with their headphones. They highly recommend the Broadway balanced version for Diana Series.
So what is the Broadway S recommended for?

Jan 6, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #3,157 of 7,405
Yes I see that now - weird that Abyss are only selling the electronics to go with their headphones. They highly recommend the Broadway balanced version for Diana Series.
So what is the Broadway S recommended for?
IEMs and other more sensitive/less power hungry headphones, which are generally not their products.

Jan 6, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #3,158 of 7,405
Weird they would even list it then as it’s the only thing on their site not suitable for their products.

The S version power is quoted at 800mw into 16 ohms. The Balanced version 1600 into 32 ohms.

Can anyone tell me the difference?

Jan 6, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #3,159 of 7,405
I have to be honest and say I spent a good few hours with mine testing the Hugo2, ifi Xcan, ifi Black Label, the Burson Conductor 3XR, Benchmark etc and within 2 minutes the Hugo2 was back in the box.
It was miles behind for me and didn’t have anywhere near the grunt to drive them.
It might not have the tonality or whatever else you like, but stating it doesn't have enough power, doesn't sound right.
Even a Mojo is enough - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dia...abyss-headphones.777618/page-24#post-13615498 - this is from Abyss itself.

When I got the Diana V2, my second desktop amp to plug them to, was Lake People G105. I immediately(15 min) jumped to the conclusion it doesn't have enough power, I was wrong, because I had tested them with old classical/opera recordings that are recorded at lower volumes and I had to go almost all the way to MAX for them to sound good. When I retested it a week latter, with other, more recent recordings and genres, I rarely have to go past 12 o'clock on the amp's dial to get great sound.
I had tested them with my Mojo and it has more than enough and then some to drive them with the same classical/opera. While I do not own a Hugo 2, I cannot imagine it doesn't have enough power.

Jan 6, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #3,160 of 7,405
I did have a Bryston BHA-1 for a bit. Way more power than my Diana Phi's needed. I may eventually get another amplifier for home use, although the T+A DAC has plenty of power. I am considering the Headamp GS-X Mini. Looks to be the perfect combination of features and quality!
I can wholeheartedly recommend the BHA-1 as I am using it for my Phi as I write this.

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #3,161 of 7,405
Hi just picked up a pair of Diana Phi.

Are the Hugo 2 or Woo W8 that I already own a good match / enough power?

If not - any alternatives to the XI Broadway S battery powered amp?

Really want battery so I can move rooms with ease :)

Kind regards
Jamie
I think the WA8 is one of the best matches for the Diana Phi, definitely give it a try since you have it.

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #3,162 of 7,405
I am liking these posts :) Especially about Woo WA8 as I was hoping that would sound nice! But it’s only rated at 350mw I think?

Thoroughly confused with some people saying they need loads of power as others not - I guess I will have to use my ears - but that will confuse me too as I won’t know what I am missing?! :)

Like I said I don’t want super loud but do listen to EDM.

And about 800mw into 16ohm on the Broadway S.... is this not the same as 1600mw into 32 ohm on the balanced version?

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #3,164 of 7,405

Users who are viewing this thread

Back