Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jan 12, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #3,211 of 7,405
I'm not hating on the FR measurement though although I don't know how much to trust it. Seal and positioning makes such a big difference in tonality I don't know how you would even go about getting an accurate measurement. Everyone probably wears them a bit different.
it's a data point, which is welcome. these are the first measurements of the diana v2 that i've seen, and i've been keeping an eye out for them for quite some time.

Jan 12, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #3,212 of 7,405
Very nice!
I'm Betting the cables will measure exactly the same. Putting it on the record.
Ditto. I am down to sending him my Superconductor 4.4mm for Diana. For the record, I bought them for looks and not really for the sound. I will def fail a blind test with them vs the stock cable.

Jan 12, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #3,213 of 7,405
He specifies the power needed to reach 94db (the minimum level he does measurements at) as 631mV (the highest of any can he's measured).

In the A90 measurements he specified 4.8 Watts of power before hitting a wall of distortion (using the balanced out). Does anyone know the voltage and/or current the A90 is doing at that power? It should be relevant given that Diana is 46 Ohms (his measurement) and the A90 power was measured at 50 Ohms.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #3,214 of 7,405
Having to "floor it" means you're stressing it. Regardless of the device. And again, who listens to music at 94-115db?

It's like saying "this car is unable to turn down a small street while going 90 so it's crap. Look I just did it and it crashed. This car is crap".

I'd also love to see the amp measurements while under the stress/load he's putting it under. Probably not too good.

These measurements are idiotic. It's why no one outside of his little cult takes him seriously.
Calm down lol. It's just a measurement objective review. I prefer his objective approach rather than a bunch of strangers shouting this is the best thing since sliced bread.

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #3,215 of 7,405
The ASR review actually confirms a lot of things for me especially why I thought LCD 4's mids were much better than the Diana V2's. I wish Audeze would come up with a LCD 4 that is similar in size and weight to the Diana V2.

PS: LCD i4 is not it since I want a proper headphone.

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #3,217 of 7,405
If it’s better when you rotate them then do it, they only fit my partner when she puts the thickest part on the front. Otherwise there is a huge gap at the bottom of the pads.
Seems like it relates to the shape of the head.

Sure - was just interested if there was a recommended position. It seems they are shaped to fit a certain way. Are we meant to leave a big gap / get a good seal all around for example?

I tried turning them now so seam / thickest part is at the back at the top - and it leaves a gap at the back at the bottom

Definitely increases the bass quantity / weight - but but sure if prefer or it’s more “boomy”.

I hate having options - they confuse me!! :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #3,218 of 7,405
From the review:

"I had to really floor my headphone amp to get it to sing"

Sure. Blast an amp well past its linear region and wonder you have crap coming out the other end.
i compared the diana v2 to the empyrean and utopia using the burson conductor v2, and it was apparent that the diana v2 required a noticeably bigger turn of the volume dial to approximately match its output level with both the empyrean and utopia
I'm quite calm thank you very much. I'm trying to understand what exactly was measured and how. I own the HD650 that he measured as being really good yet with all that supposed distortion of the Diana I still hear plenty of musical info that I don't hear in the 650.
it should go without saying but you are comparing your aural perception, which is subjective, to objective measurements

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #3,219 of 7,405
Hi everybody

I'm in the market for open hp , portable / best sound possible .

I am a little concerned by a light bass section ( already read about DMS pads or similar , ok ) or by any mids' prominence as I am fan of live music but not overly for voices if they are much upfront from rest .

Jan 12, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #3,220 of 7,405
It’’s obvious that ASR’s measurements are flawed. Publishing inaccurate results using [admittedly] poor test methods and protocols shows a lack of integrity, definitely makes objectivists look bad. IMO he needs training and a lot more experience in measuring headphones, it’s not as straightforward as measuring amps.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Jan 12, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #3,221 of 7,405
It’’s obvious that ASR’s measurements are flawed. Publishing inaccurate results using [admittedly] poor test methods and protocols shows a lack of integrity, definitely makes objectivists look bad. IMO he needs training and a lot more experience in measuring headphones, it’s not as straightforward as measuring amps.
Thanks for the clarification! Maybe it is a bad idea to send gears to him then. Will withhold the Broadway AMP from sending to him.

Jan 12, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #3,223 of 7,405
Thanks for the clarification! Maybe it is a bad idea to send gears to him then. Will withhold the Broadway AMP from sending to him.
the 'clarification' as you describe it, consists of unsubstantiated assertions, including an attack on an individual's integrity

Jan 12, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #3,224 of 7,405
We can leave "an attack" out of it and compare some of the reviews and conclusions, for example:
One from ASR: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-chord-mojo-dac-and-amp.5120/
One from Stereophile: https://www.stereophile.com/content/chord-electronics-mojo-da-headphone-amplifier-measurements

Now that we have one for Diana from ASR, we need another one from a reputable source, to actually see if it is matches our experience with the product in question.
From the above two reviews, I know which one matches my experience and that's how I decide which one I trust more.

Jan 12, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #3,225 of 7,405
Hi everybody

I'm in the market for open hp , portable / best sound possible .

I am a little concerned by a light bass section ( already read about DMS pads or similar , ok ) or by any mids' prominence as I am fan of live music but not overly for voices if they are much upfront from rest .
I guess it’s all relative - but no way I would cal these bass light with the Woo WA8 or the Hugo 2. Pretty neutral to my ears. And as I just discovered - almost on the bassier side of neutral when you rotate the pads to leave a bass port! :)

And also on the bassier side with Woo WA8 in 3 tube mode, even with the pads sealed.

I think it’s too much for me either way and I prefer the ear pads sealed, and the Woo in 2 tube mode. Or maybe the Hugo 2 with the ear pads opened is ok and emphasises the bass just enough.

It’s a bit like big speakers in a small room for me with the pads opened - more “boomy” and less controlled

(NB I am definitely not a bass head :) and always liked neutral speakers and hated bass boom in my room, using room correction to reduce peaks, which some would have said then sounded bass light)

As for the mids - hard to say. They definitely aren’t recessed, but I like them to be forward and attacking anyway. Which to me happens naturally when the bass isn’t overpowering.

All of this in IMHO not sure it helps being such a subjective matter :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back