Diana Krall: The girl in the other room
Apr 27, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #16 of 70
Quote:

What a wonderful album! It is as if it is tailor made for the Grado signature sound. Even the instrumental "I Freak Out" (trk #14) is great! . . . . Give it a try!

What track #14?
confused.gif
Am I missing something here? I just picked up a copy of Diana Krall's The girl in the other room from local Bestbuy (it was only $9.95). There are only 12 tracks in this CD with no such title???

Apr 27, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #17 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by mkyy
Not sure if you guys know that Anthony Wilson released a solo album called "Our Gang" released by Groove Note. Damn good! If you like his style in "Live in Paris", chances are you'd like this album as well. Plus the quality of the recording is excellent. Check it out!

Might it be this disc that has the aforementioned track 14?
confused.gif
I'm puzzled too...

Apr 27, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #18 of 70
Well, here it is. Just so you don't think that I am making this up, here is a scan of the back cover.

- augustwest

(Rather I will attach it as soon as I re-size it, the one I just tried uploading was too large)

Apr 27, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #21 of 70
Well guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I just ordered my new Diana Krall cd in the SACD Hybrid version from music direct.It should be here on Friday. My modded Sony 555ES should be here by next week sometime. This should be a lot of fun!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #22 of 70
BONUS TRACKS!!! Dope! I hate when I jump the gun before fully checking available versions. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Oh well, I will just have to buy SACD version with bonus tracks later. Too bad, I'm as impatient as they come when it comes to new release
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #23 of 70
I believe I read that Elvis Costello helped write some of these songs, can someone who has the disc check the credits to verify, it would be appreciated. Maybe he'll add some extra bite to her music. Not a fan of hers or of this type of music generally, but I might check this one out.

People who like this might also want to check out Elvis Costello's recent "North" disc which is also a song cycle about his break-up/divorce from his ex-wife and finding new love with Krall. North is one of EC's "other" albums (non-rock), full of strings, old-school songwriting and semi-classical noodling that annoys many Costello fans, I haven't fully gotten into it yet I admit, though I have the SACD. From what I've read, this sounds like Krall's response to the exact same situation, so they might make good book-ends to listen to back to back, also given their stylistic similarities too.

Apr 27, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #24 of 70
Markl,

Yes, Costello had his hand in 6 of the 12 songs. They collaborated on the lyrics and Krall wrote the music. The other 6 songs are covers -- including a decent cover of "Almost Blue" (ironically, I’m listening to that right now). On the original numbers, one can hear Costello’s touch in some of the lyrics.

I bought the SACD today at Best Buy. I’m listening to it now on my Jecklin Floats
blinkJF.gif
. The sound quality is great (better than “When I Look In Your Eyes,” IMO), and the music is more soulful than much of her earlier work. The songs are set in an intimate setting with a small band backing her. No orchestra of any kind on this disc -- a very good thing, IMO. I highly recommend this SACD.

It’s the first digital audio disc I’ve bought since I got a hold of a turntable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #25 of 70
Thanks, arnett, I'll definitely have to check it out then. Probably save up for the SACD.
orphsmile.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #26 of 70
Quote:

People who like this might also want to check out Elvis Costello's recent "North" disc which is also a song cycle about his break-up/divorce from his ex-wife and finding new love with Krall.

LOL, I guess I went other way around. I got Costello's North little while ago. No wonder styles of two albums are very similar... not too bad! However, I still prefer Krall's earlier albums (All of you & Love Scenes).

Apr 28, 2004 at 12:00 PM Post #27 of 70
Well in Australia we may have got it a few day earlier but we get no bonus tracks. Humph! And really, the cover we get is another one of Diana pretending to be in ecstasy (not dissimilar to the expression she had to put on for the cover of the look of love)... my wife says she wants "whatever she's having".

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Apr 28, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #29 of 70
So nerdy Costello got the hottest chick in the music world huh? I didn't know that but it makes me feel all warm inside. I picked up The Look of Love not too long ago on SACD and the cheesy orchestrals made me dislike it, but I'll probably pick this up.

Apr 29, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #30 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime
So nerdy Costello got the hottest chick in the music world huh?

No dude, EC just looks nerdy. He's one of the coolest guys out there! He does such amazing, creative stuff, how could she resist him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back