Diana Krall: The girl in the other room
Apr 21, 2004 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

MTL

100+ Head-Fier
So at last: Ms. Krall is back with some music (seems her marriage with Elvis Costello has achieved quite something here...
wink.gif
) After her shallower last studio recordings, “The Girl in the other room” really is more than just a pleasant surprise. It’s among her best albums yet, and it’s certainly her most mature work. It isn’t as laid back as “Look of love” (luckily
rolleyes.gif
) or “When I look in your eyes” (in fact some tunes are rather up-beat and groovy! ), it does not feature any strings
eek.gif
, and it shows Krall in a different musical context, which counts for both, repertoire and musicians involved. Anthony Wilson on guitar alone would be worth listening to this CD. From the 12 songs recorded here, indeed none is from the “Great American Songbook”. We have songs by Tom Waits (“Temptation” in a not so sensual mood as on Holly Cole’s Waits tribute of the same title), Elvis Costello (
wink.gif
), Joni Mitchell (“Black Crow”) and others, and we have 6 songs by Krall herself with lyrics co-written with Elvis Costello. And these songs really are fine examples of what modern song writing can be all about. Krall’s singing is equally fine as is her piano playing that is featured far more prominently than on almost any of her earlier albums. One tends to forget, that she was and is an excellent jazz pianist in the first place...
So, highly recommended, all the more as the sound engineering for once got it right.
rs1smile.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 70
I know what my evening will consist of
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the recommendation.

Apr 22, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 70
Thanks Jasper994,

Unfortunately I read your response a little too late. I spent a good ten minutes at J & R music world looking for this new release. I finally asked one of the sales guys who gave me that 'calm down jackass' look and said to me in a very cold tone "NEXT WEEK PAL". I didn't know whether I was more angry at him or Diana for not releasing her disc yet.
confused.gif

Oh well, gotta wait
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by MTL
So, highly recommended, all the more as the sound engineering for once got it right.
rs1smile.gif

Do you have the SACD or Redbook? Wondering how the SACD sounds.

Apr 22, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #8 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman
Do you have the SACD or Redbook? Wondering how the SACD sounds.

I got the normal Redbook version. Sorry for you in the US that it hasn't been released yet...
Just gave it another listen - it's really great!
Funny though that Verve, being American, does release its CDs earlier in Europe than in the US. But if we do have to pay more for Grados over here there must be some advantage for us too
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 7:17 AM Post #9 of 70
Not sure if you guys know that Anthony Wilson released a solo album called "Our Gang" released by Groove Note. Damn good! If you like his style in "Live in Paris", chances are you'd like this album as well. Plus the quality of the recording is excellent. Check it out!

Apr 24, 2004 at 10:55 AM Post #10 of 70
Thanks for the Anthony Wilson tip... I'll be looking for it.

And yes, I can confirm that the new "Girl in the next room" is a step up for Diana (and she was already on a pedestal at my place anyhow). I think some of the piano stands out for me... much nicer than the live in Paris album. Funny, I know its been bashed a bit but "look of love" is so different it will still have a place near the top of my CD pile.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Apr 24, 2004 at 1:21 PM Post #11 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
The Girl in the Other Room
AMG Rating:
Release Date: 4/27/2004

It hasn't released here yet!!! GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's interesting, it's already couple of weeks here in HK. I listened to this album last time in CD Warehouse ..... http://www.umg.com.hk/minisite/girl_.../index_umg.htm (switch to EN)

Apr 24, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 70
My hybrid SACD is still underway grrrrr..... 5-10 days delivery unfortunately.

Apr 26, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #14 of 70
Count me in on getting a copy of this CD and SACD. I just love Norah Jones and am really curious about all the hype about Diana Krall now. Thanks for the info guys. you just cost me another $25.
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 2:47 PM Post #15 of 70
What a wonderful album! It is as if it is tailor made for the Grado signature sound. Even the instrumental "I Freak Out" (trk #14) is great! . . . . Give it a try!

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back