Diana Krall: The girl in the other room
May 3, 2004 at 11:39 AM Post #46 of 70
genetic, thanks for the Shirley Horn tip. I've heard of her but have never heard her, so I just ordered the disc you recommneded.
cool.gif

May 3, 2004 at 1:50 PM Post #47 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
genetic, thanks for the Shirley Horn tip. I've heard of her but have never heard her, so I just ordered the disc you recommneded.
cool.gif

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I don't want to start anything here since the war between the Grado and the Sennheiser teams is pale in comparaison with the «tension» betwen the Horn team (read the «true» jazz connoisseurs) and the Krall team (read the younger generation with a taste for the pop version of jazz). In my opinion the true value of Krall, is that she can lead to amazing discoveries. Horn is one of them.

Amicalement

May 3, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #48 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by genetic
You could even make a better move and skipp the «Krall phase» and go direct to the original: Shirley Horn....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Amicalement

P.S. S. Horn: The Main Ingredient (Verve 314 529 555-2)

Is she the original that Diana kind of imitates, for lack of a better word? I'm intrigued, now it's time to see if I can find some info on her.

May 3, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #49 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
Is she the original that Diana kind of imitates, for lack of a better word? I'm intrigued, now it's time to see if I can find some info on her.

Yes indeed. It's why the european jazz scene was so hard on Krall at her beginning. European reviews were very cruel... but right. I read that the first encounter between the two ladies, during a Past edition of the Grammy, was not so friendly....
biggrin.gif

I'll give me permission to speak frankly: Krall is at jazz what Celine Dion is at pop music.

When you listen to S. Horne the emotion is so intense that you can't avoid the evidence: she realy feels what she sings and you are at another emotional level. Krall on the other hand is another, gifted lady no doubt about it, that the music industry is so eager to promote. A marketing dream come true...
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

May 3, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #50 of 70
Thanks genetic. Now I am interested and will see if I can find a copy of her music. Thanks for the heads-up.

May 3, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #51 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I listened to the whole album today and liked it quite a bit, and it is really freakin' well recorded, boy does it sound good! Considering I don't usually listen to this kind of music, I guess the fact that I like it a lot speaks volumes.

I'll say!!! I'm glad you like it.
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #52 of 70
OK, I've ordered the SACD from Amazon, should arrive tomorrrow!

I'm very skeptical about this, I will provide my fully unbiased non-soft-jazz-loving, p*ssy-rock-hating views on this CD ASAP.
orphsmile.gif

Prejudiced as I am, If I like it, anyone else should like it. We'll see...

Mark

May 7, 2004 at 9:31 PM Post #53 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
OK, I've ordered the SACD from Amazon, should arrive tomorrrow!

Mark

Hey Mark,

Don't worry. I have this cd in hybrid sacd version already. Hot Rod really does this one well. You may not be crazy about the tunes but the recording quality is 5 star.
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #54 of 70
meech,
Right on, I'm the world's biggest Elvis Costello fan, so I have no doubt that there is something here for me to love.
orphsmile.gif
I'll post my findings tomorrow!!!

Mark

May 8, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #55 of 70
Just bought the redbook...nice rendition of "Almost Blue". Very well done album IMHO...and very nice representation in redbook form. Will have to track down the SACD and do a comparison.

May 8, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #56 of 70
Bought sacd and was disappointed.

“When I look in your eyes” is still my favorite. Charming, warm, personal.
"Live in Paris" "Vince Benedetti meets Diana Krall" and "The Look of Love" are all better than this new one.

May 8, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #57 of 70
Here is my list of Diana Krall albums:

Red Book CD:
All for you
Live in Paris
The Look of Love
When I Look in Your Eyes

Hybrid SACD:
The Girl in the Other Room

I sort of agree with some of the initial comments made here. She is a "pop" jazz icon but she definitely has the talent and passionate fire to throw herself into her craft. I must cautiously say that this is her finest rate work thus far -- it is a significant departure from the established opinions about her artistic style. The Girl in the Other Room pretty much represents her best fusion between both pop and jazz genres without risking derision from her coterie for just plain old "singing for the money." She definitely took careful thought to be cautious and judicious over the songwriting and arrangements in this album; I think Krall pulled it off in her own style: she jams with the fire in her belly on one track (back channel cues and all) and she teases with her voice on the next track (her voice lends to her lyricism).

The Hybrid SACD Stereo layer is sublime. It sounds so smooth, warm, and natural to my ears. It all sonds so pure; it really is a remarkable improvement over the comparatively gritty and sterile sound of the Red Book CD format (my DV-59AVi can oversample and upconvert RB CD). Piano work, cymbals, electric guitar all sound true to the original and Krall's voice sounds luscious and seductive. Imaging is just spot on and the soundstage has a holographic, virtual dimension to the sound.

This is Krall at her best and the recording ain't too shabby neither...highly recommended!

May 8, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #58 of 70
I'm going to pass on this latest one for a while. I do like her trio work and despised all the poppy orchestra stuff she did.

One thing about her albums, especially Look of Love in my opinion: It's one of the worst CDs to bring with you for auditioning new gear. This cd makes every system sound wonderful. Hard to pick out faults.

May 8, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #59 of 70
ooheadsoo is absolutely right. This is the kind of CD that audio shops will use to play through their gear. Or something you can play as background music for a cocktail party. Typical contemporary, jazzy stuff. Nothing to offend. Worse though is that there is nothing ground breaking, nor compelling at all. I almost fell asleep. Too bad
frown.gif

She and her trio are amazing live. It's incredible the amount & quality of sound that come out of so few musicians. I'll see her in concert in a heartbeat, but this may be my last DK album.

May 9, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #60 of 70
I'd bet her future albums will continue down this path of "departure". I think she will establish set herself further apart from the crwod of female jazz vocalists in this way and it's fine with me. I like her latest, but my wife does not at all. Still, we're both looking forward to seeing her when she comes to Chicago in August.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back