Diablo's are Surfacing!
Nov 30, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #736 of 805
Can it be used while charging.

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #737 of 805
Mine had a pretty bad hum the one time I tried, so I'm going to say no. I'm curious if anyone else has had this experience. For awhile I had the only working amp, so I don't know what's the norm.

My low gain is pretty low, but is fine for Etys. The high gain, though, is more like medium gain on most amps, but that works for me.

Glad to know others are finally getting their amps.

Nov 30, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #738 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that vette doesnt have an LS7
frown.gif

DSC02111.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, is that wire going to that yellow car a charger? Cool, a battery operated P car. I bet with some research and after market beefed up charger could work wonders!

No, that's a wire that goes to the heated rack for the eight helmets and six Hein Gericke jackets.

Nov 30, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #739 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, that's a wire that goes to the heated rack for the eight helmets and six Hein Gericke jackets.

nothing quite like a heated rack to jump-start your day
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #740 of 805
I sure would have never thought a Porsche was charged off a wall wart:)

I can't stand this thread being anywhere but on the first page:wink:

Nice cars immibk & Miguel:)

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #741 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice cars immibk & Miguel:)

They're not mine. Aside from owning a Katana 1100 that does 0-60 in 2.71 seconds, my 4 wheel vehicle is a 2005 Town and Country mini-van. A symptom of getting old, but in this case, a company car to carry tools and parts
redface.gif

Wait, isn't this a Diablo thread? How the heck did we get here?
They told me that the things that I did in the '70's would eventually affect me.

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #743 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're not mine. Aside from owning a Katana 1100 that does 0-60 in 2.71 seconds, my 4 wheel vehicle is a 2005 Town and Country mini-van. A symptom of getting old, but in this case, a company car to carry tools and parts
redface.gif

Wait, isn't this a Diablo thread? How the heck did we get here?
They told me that the things that I did in the '70's would eventually affect me.

LOL, I'm with ya! Driving my 1995 Golf with 1570000 on it
wink.gif

I'm pretty sure this thread is going to be good for any topic especially those that get ones dander up
eek.gif

p.s. Suzuki's are my favorite, never had a Katana but I once had a very nice 850 Ram Air. Raced 250 class on my RM in the Astrodome back in the mid 70's! Guess I gave my age away on that one
tongue.gif

p.ss. Diablo, Diablo, Diablo! OK, back on track
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #744 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think Nick has a malicious bone in his body, nor do I think he's a liar. That doesn't mean he can't cause harm. Let's say Larry takes him up on the deal to refund $450 and Nick sends his amp onto someone who's been waiting. Would that person perceive it as being lied to if he were to received a used and possibly damaged amp (due Nick's purposeful discharging of the batteries) after waiting over two years for a new one? Lied to and screwed over is my guess. Did Nick mean well? Even though he's got some pretty strong self-interest going, I think he did. Does meaning well matter if his actions harm another? Meaning well without thinking well doesn't cut it.

Sorry but for some reason I do not understand (call me stupid if you want to) you are coming way to hard on Nick. He is not the one who took the money from people, he is not the one that is late in shipping the amps, he is not the one who glued the top, he is not the one who is shipping amps to individuals who paid two months ago, he is not the one sending the returned amp out as a new amp, etc. All of those actions are atributable to Larry.

Nov 30, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #745 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry but for some reason I do not understand (call me stupid if you want to) you are coming way to hard on Nick. He is not the one who took the money from people, he is not the one that is late in shipping the amps, he is not the one who glued the top, he is not the one who is shipping amps to individuals who paid two months ago, he is not the one sending the returned amp out as a new amp, etc. All of those actions are atributable to Larry.

No. He wants to sell his amp so he has asked Larry to buy it back from him at a reduced rate ($450), but rather than sending the amp back to Larry, he would send his used amp to someone who has been waiting for one rather than Larry sending that person a new one. It's a win-win for Nick and Larry, but not so much for the other person unless he or she were in agreement with the plan.

Larry is the main culprit here, but when you knowingly buy into a mess, it becomes your mess. You can add to it or not. I'm glad at least some people are starting to get their amps and they all appear to be working.

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #746 of 805
mrarroyo;3444738 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that vette doesnt have an LS7
frown.gif

...QUOTE]

You do realize that would only be another way of getting more speeding tickets! I think next year I may get the new 6.2 liter V8 Vette. I figure 436 hp would be enough. Of course I may go crazier and ...

Why not get a suspension kit and up the engine to 600 horse?

Ok, on the Diablow, but when are we going to read some impressions? I would at least like to know how it feels to move the volume control and contour. What does the case actually feel like? Im a visceral kind of guy.

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #747 of 805
dsc01660smallev1.jpg

dsc01659smallrg7.jpg

Figured this would be one of those first good posts....
biggrin.gif

---------Summery Thus Far------------
Once I received the Diablo it took 3 Hours to charge the battery to full. During the charging process the red light, located next to the DC jack, stayed solidly light for 3 hours then turned off (this is the only and last time I ever saw this charging light work).
Powered on the amp @ low gain using my Yuin PK1 earbuds and a iModed 60gb Photo /w Duel OS (Rockbox & Apple). A light background white-crackling noise is slightly audible and easily heard above volume levels of 6-7. The noise went away after about 10 minutes of playing music or leaving the amp turned on. Once the noise went away, it did not come back for the remainder of the current listening session.
** Best sound I’ve ever experienced with PK-1s. Bass @ 4, Volume @ 8-9, Panorama @ ½ of a notch.****
I would hear the background noise every time I turned the amp on for about the first 10minutes of being on. The amp exhibited this behavior for the first few power cycles.

Tried plugging in power supply again to charge battery and test standby mode. No red light at all. Unable to confirm it was charging at all.
Plugged in Ultrasone Proline 650 into Amp. Gain @ Low. -crackling noise is heard above volume level 7 again for 15min. Noise went away for rest of use period. Volume @ 9-10. PERFECT SOUND for the 1 hour of use before I shut amp down. Changed gain to High. Started amp back up, noise heard again for 15min again at any volume level. After 15min the noise ceased. Listened @ volume level 4-5 with PERFECT SOUND for 4 hours.
Tried plugging in power supply again to charge battery and test standby mode. No red light at all. Unable to confirm charge.
So far, it’s at 12 hours of run time and it’s the best sounding amp I’ve ever used. I think either the power supply maybe bad or the charging circuit, or simply the charging LED (so far it looks like just the LED).

---------
One week latter: Red Charging light doesn’t work at all (no solid or blinking status) but unit still charges. Battery life after a few full drains and charges is about 31h 46minutes with HD-650 powered at High Gain on volume level 4. No bass boost. No panorama. The blue power light works at normal. ** As for the white noise. There is no more noise heard when starting or warming up the amp. All startup noise cleared after about 4 full charging cycles. (aprox. 150h of use).
-------------------------------------

After 7 charging cycles, amp still works good. No I don't hear start up noise anymore. Amp last for aprox 32hours now. Still no charging LED.

Thanks Larry! Keep kicking ass, this amp is tight!

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #748 of 805
32 hours, that is great! It is nice to read that it produces good sound. What a joy it must be after all this time. I have to admit it is a pretty cool looking amp and I am glad the sound goes with the looks.

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #749 of 805
Panorama doesn't do much for me with the Senn 650's but it helps the little phones out like the PK1s and it's a trip to mess with on the ES2s when you're listening to psybient stuff like Shpongle.....

Bass boost is a very clean hardware low shelf eq. I'm in the process of comparing it to the software low shelf eq in rockbox...

Gain... Like ALO said, High gain = no gain / no attenuation ; Low gain = input signal attenuation. High works perfectly for my Senn 650's and PK1s. Low Gain works with ES2s, Proline 650s, PK1s and also the 650s if the volume is at 8-max.

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #750 of 805
I think the panorama was poorly conceived. It's supposed to be a replacement for crossfeed, but all it does is allow a continuum from stereo to mono. That is NOT the same as crossfeed. All the panorama control did for me was collapse the soundstage toward the middle.

The incredibly well-conceived bass boost is the one thing I miss since I currently don't have any Phil Larocco designed amps in house (I am waiting for the Lisa III XP to become available again so I can get one of those).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back