Diablo's are Surfacing!
Nov 27, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #631 of 805
I've been listening to the Diablo with my Vintage PCDP this morning and I have to say it's quite the little amp. I would classify it as a "mini-me" version of the PRII. What I like the most about this amp (as well as the PRII) is the bass contour. It doesn't distort or make the music sound bloated, it just hits a little lower. I really like it. I've been listening to a variety of music with it (Sinatra, Krauss, Tiesto, Crosby, Aguilera, King, and Spears) and haven't been disappointed with any of the genres. I just wished I had a pair of HD600's or 650's so I could test it with some higher impedence cans...to test it's power!
wink.gif

Too bad I don't plan on keeping it, I only bought it because I wanted to see it in person and see how it sounded. The more I listen to it, the harder it may be to do so.

Nov 27, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #632 of 805
Would you like to make a detailed comparison between the Larocco PRII and the Diablo? It would be really great! Even if the Diablo falls short short against the PRII, its size still makes it a good purchase.

Nov 27, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #634 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you like to do a detailed comparison between the Larocco PRII and the Diablo? It would be really great! Even if it fell short short against the PRII, it's size still makes it a good purchase.

I'd love to, but I don't have a PRII. From my experiences with the PRII, it's very comparable but with less power. The Diablo also has atleast twice the battery-life...probably closer to 3 times. There is no hiss with IEM's with the Diablo, the PRII has a wicked hiss with IEM's...even the mkII on low.

I do want to say that I suggest not buying directly from Larry....just read this thread and you'll get the idea
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #635 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup.

You are both lucky guys:
I don't have received my amp, and Larry hasn't answered my e-mails
frown.gif

I'm seeing how people is receiving their amps, but nothing in my mailbox yet.
I can't imagine what's the Larry Milligan's customer policy. The only thing I can do is to forget that I paid $535 for an amp that I probabily will never receive.
I'm desesperated.

Yes, you are lucky guys.

And I can't believe that there is people considering to buy this amp
confused.gif

Nov 27, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #637 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by truant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are both lucky guys:
I don't have received my amp, and Larry hasn't answered my e-mails
frown.gif

I'm seeing how people is receiving their amps, but nothing in my mailbox yet.
I can't imagine what's the Larry Milligan's customer policy. The only thing I can do is to forget that I paid $535 for an amp that I probabily will never receive.
I'm desesperated.

Yes, you are lucky guys.

And I can't believe that there is people considering to buy this amp
confused.gif

When did you pay?

Nov 27, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #642 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love to, but I don't have a PRII. From my experiences with the PRII, it's very comparable but with less power. The Diablo also has atleast twice the battery-life...probably closer to 3 times. There is no hiss with IEM's with the Diablo, the PRII has a wicked hiss with IEM's...even the mkII on low.

I do want to say that I suggest not buying directly from Larry....just read this thread and you'll get the idea
biggrin.gif

Right now, you can only buy direct from Larry as Duncan has wisely bowed out of any more dealings.

The battery life of the Diablo, in reality as opposed to advertised, is not even close to double, let alone more. The battery life and problems with servicing the battery, since Larry's customer service is non-existent and he glued on the top on so others can't get to it, is a serious and worrisome issue for me right now.

I have both the Diablo and a PRII (8620 version), and they do not sound the same. I'm not going to post impressions at this time as Larry hasn't even shipped amps to people who bought them over two years ago, yet sees fit to send to those who paid under two months ago (nothing personal, Nick, but this is the ultimate disrespect of customers).

Nov 27, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #644 of 805
Quote:

How small is the diablo compared to a Tomahawk or a Xin Supermini?

The Diablo is bigger than both. If you know Ray's amps as a reference, it's between the size of the Hornet, though a bit thinner, and an SR-71. As far as Xin amps go, it's closer in size to the Macros than any other.

Nov 27, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #645 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now, you can only buy direct from Larry as Duncan has wisely bowed out of any more dealings.

The battery life of the Diablo, in reality as opposed to advertised, is not even close to double, let alone more. The battery life and problems with servicing the battery, since Larry's customer service is non-existent and he glued on the top on so others can't get to it, is a serious and worrisome issue for me right now.

I have both the Diablo and a PRII (8620 version), and they do not sound the same. I'm not going to post impressions at this time as Larry hasn't even shipped amps to people who bought them over two years ago, yet sees fit to send to those who paid under two months ago (nothing personal, Nick, but this is the ultimate disrespect of customers).

Vicky,
I totally understand what you are saying. I'm not sure we had identical PRII (I don't know what opamp it had), I also had a PSR. True, the battery life isn't as advertised...but it's still better than the PRII by a wide margin, at least in my experiences with the PRII. I'm just posting some of my experiences...I know you're taking a stand and not posting impressions because of Larry business practices, but I'm not. If you have differing views, give your impressions.

I'm sorry if I'm ruffling your feathers with posting my thoughts.

Quote:

How small is the diablo compared to a Tomahawk or a Xin Supermini?

It's about as short as a TH, about as long as a Supermini, and a little wider than a Hornet...hope that helps
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back