Diablo's are Surfacing!
Nov 26, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #616 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I thought I could get a better battery by sending it back, I would. I'm now nervous that it will die, and sending it back is an undesirable option for many reasons. Because the top's been glued on I'm not sure I know any one who would be able to replace it for me, even if they knew how to work with that kind of battery. I like how the amp sounds, but this is yet another problem.

Sorry to hear about your problem. It sounds like an opportunity to improve the DIY skills if you are that concerned about sending it back. The cover can't be glued on that securely or it could never be fixed. I'd imagine once cracked you'd be able to glean a battery part number/manufacturer and google for a replacement. Drain the battery/circuit completely if you are going to go that route. Best of luck either way.

Nov 27, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #617 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, if the battery is Lithium Ion, you don't want to keep doing full cycles. Discharging all the way shortens the life of Li-Ion batteries. They do not suffer the memory effect like NiCads and NiMH batteries.

If you really really want to extend your battery life, Li-Ions typically like to be recharged at around the 60% mark.

But yeah, I wouldn't let my wallet touch the Diablo, or any Laracoo product with a ten foot pole.

You know, I searched around a bit on this and as far as I can tell if you read 5 different opinions on how to care of a battery you'll get just that, 5 different opinions.
confused.gif
And FWIW most sites that I found didn't seem to think that deep discharging Li-ions was any big deal.

Nov 27, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #618 of 805
Discharging lithium ions/polymer below 3.0volts per cell PERMANENTLY DAMAGES IT! It's a FACT, not myth. All it takes is ONE time, but since these devices are low current so the effects might be delayed.

there are protection circuits designed to prevent recharging of a overly discharged cell. I don't know if these are built into the amp, but they could be built into the battery itself. They are certainly built into cell phones and laptops that use lithium battery power.

Damaged lithiums PUFF up like a balloon (examine yours if possible) and they lose a LOT of capacity. Pumping current into a puffed lithium might cause it to explode. I've done it before, it made good fireworks and a lot of nasty fumes...i do not recommend. Also heard about them in the news with recalled Dell, Sony, etc laptops.

High/moderate temperatures also degrades lithiums quite rapidly when they are charged. Lithiums like to be stored below full charge and below room temperature, but safely above 3.0v/cell.

For high performance/ high current discharge uses, lithiums DO have a "break in" period. For audio purpose, they should not be cycled.

I work with lithiums since i work with high powered electric r/c stuff. I even power some of my audio components with my extra lithiums. People return these things all the time as defective because they treat these things like NiMH or NiCD.

I think audio devices would probably use some sort of 3 cell lipo (11.1v average, 12.6v fully charged, RECHARGE WAY BEFORE it even gets close to 9.0v). Cells can get out of balance and that condition is devastating to these types of batteries in a short period of time. Usually the charging circuits have access to each individual cell to make sure they are topped off equally (not if cells are damaged and lost capacity though)

Lithiums have a SERVICE life. Well taken care, of a high quality one could last 400 recharges. They don't last 'forever' like the older/more refined technology. Replacement or upgrading is QUITE easy if you know where to buy lithium packs (they come in all a HUGE assortment of sizes, shapes, cells, capacities).

Nov 27, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #619 of 805
Thanks for the info. My amp and others arrived with dead batteries. The manual reported up to 50hrs battery life. As I was not expecting mine to go dead at 15ish, or even less (not sure the second time as I fell asleep), it has gone dead twice since. So this, at least for mine, makes three full discharges as far as I can tell. Assuming you were in the same boat as I, with an amp you do not want to return to the man who made it, mostly due to not expecting another with any improvements, what would you do? I've read that the three hour cycles (not full) can help. Is that myth? Should I start looking for some one who can help if nothing can be done with the current battery?

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #622 of 805
nytryder7, maybe it's time to turn up the heat. You've been waiting over...what...two years? Nick got his through being the squeaky wheel, and he only waited maybe a month.

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #623 of 805
That Larry Milligan sure is a question-mark. By choosing to mill his own cases, he can only come up with one that has to be cracked in order to get to the innards of the amp. Couldn't he have made some sort of slot wherein the battery could be gotten to without ruining the casing? If I were an owner, I'd be asking him serious questions about how he intends to service these amps when the battery goes.
Congrats to all (?) who have finally received their Diablos, but I suppose it still ain't "all good". Personally, I would've preferred a good old-fashioned Hammond case if it meant being able to change the battery. I'd be afraid of using it without the wall wart, for fear of the battery going and having to send it in to him.

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #624 of 805
Quote:

Nick got his through being the squeaky wheel, and he only waited maybe a month.

That's just not right no matter how I look at it.

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #627 of 805
On L-ion batteries i have had mixed results. I have a couple of X-1 amps with one charging after having the charger on for 24 hours and the other not taking a charge at all (they were left uncharged for about 5 months but were not discharged). I had purchased a spare battery in China and replaced the battery in the unit that would not take a charge. This battery had a good charge already, after sitting for over a year, and took a good charge and works fine.

I have a Tungsten T2 that I have used for over 5 years and have accidently totally discharged a number of times, over and over and it still takes a full charge and works great holding a charge after all this time as long as it did originally.

Nov 27, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #628 of 805
Quote:

nytryder7, maybe it's time to turn up the heat. You've been waiting over...what...two years? Nick got his through being the squeaky wheel, and he only waited maybe a month.

I wasn't a squeaky wheel, I threw down an ultimatum. I told him to refund my money or ship me my amp (proving it by sending me a tracking number, which he did) by last Wednesday or I'd file a dispute with Duncan's Paypal account...the person I sent my money to. As we saw with Flashbak's refund process, Duncan gets very mad when that happens.

Throwing Larry in an arm-bar would be a better term
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back