Diablo's are Surfacing!
Oct 27, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #271 of 805
Skylab>> This goes down in Head-fi history.

I think you should contact Larry and let him know you are donating the amp to the Smithsonian Institute. It is a piece of history. (Not necessarily a great history but nonetheless it is a piece of history).

Can you imagine-- folks visiting the Smithsonian and coming across the amp enclosed in shining glass. "Why is this electronic device in the Smithsonian?" visitors will ask a guide. The guide will say, "Have you ever logged onto Head-fi? Check out thread #3390658..."

Oct 27, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #272 of 805
Couple updates:

1. The amp charged in a few hours, quite uneventfully.

2. It sounds excellent. It's not broken in at all, but it sounds very, very good.

3. I did send an email to Larry at Larocco Audio, no update from him.

I will be adding it to my portable amp review after all it appears. Crazy.

Oct 27, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #273 of 805
Some pics:

DSC01447.jpg

DSC01446.jpg

Oct 27, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #275 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The R10 & K1000 was made a while ago too.. & what dynamic cans made today can touch them.

For the K-1000 I have a few in mind right now, old and new designs, as for the R-10, well that is another issue, but even though Markl right now is selling one of his, if that tell you something...the keeper of the R-10 selling one in favor fo the Denon D5000 (a $500.00 heapdhone)

What I'm trying to say, is that original poster you was quoting was right, there is no such a thing of a holy grail in audio, as preference has a lot of impact, and new designs come into the ground, for good and bad, and what is good for ones will be not so good for others, and knowing Phil, I can tell you that the Lisa III is a hell of an amp. The PRII was, and is to me, regardless of the competition one of the best portable amps I have ever heard, the LISA according to him, is even better and the PORTACODE will be a killer amp...Diablo is a good amp, but honestly I strongly doubt in that league, let's see anyway while more and more members hear it what the general opinion will be...anyway it is not a massive production, either you ordered it, or you are out, unless used...

Oct 27, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #276 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab,
How does the Diablo power higher impedence headphones? How does the power of the Diablo compare the PRII? Did he accidently send you one of those, too? LOL!

All in good time, my friend. Breaking it in, now.

Oct 27, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #277 of 805
Wow. It looks as nice as its glossy photo shots. (You know some people consider themselves lucky and not subject to what happens to the masses.... so some will put in an order right now even after reading the thread. For them the sound, the newness, the unique look of the amp is sufficient for them to try-- and they will hope the amp will be delivered within a matter of weeks).

I am a little happy Larry has finally delivered the amp.

Oct 28, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #278 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All in good time, my friend. Breaking it in, now.

Sky are you having any moral dilema? (considering keeping the amp) Of course review the amp but will it stay in the stable and will you send money to Larry or return it as a matter of principal and setting the bar?

Oct 28, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #279 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sky are you having any moral dilema? (considering keeping the amp) Of course review the amp but will it stay in the stable and will you send money to Larry or return it as a matter of principal and setting the bar?

No moral dilemma whatsoever. I already emailed Larry telling him of his error. It's his fault I have it, but the amp isn't mine, it's his. He will either get it back, or I will buy it if I decide to for some reason (which I highly doubt I will).

That is, unless he never replies to my email, in which case I kind of have to keep it...and this is actually a possibility I suppose, given his track record in replying to emails...

But I am going to review it even if he wants is back right away, since the soonest it can get sent out would be Monday
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #280 of 805
Interesting enough he may not -- depending on how many emails he has.

He may offer to have you keep it for free for all your troubles.

From my direct conversations with Larry (pre-Diablo) he does not like making folks wait and wants to provide additional compensation/thanks for those who have waited so long.

I know this does nothing for those who are waiting right now but I am just responding to Skylab's post on whether he will keep the amp.

Oct 28, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #281 of 805
How heavy is the diablo? It looks like it could be quite heavy. With all the amp/dac combos out/coming out, It would take a mighty fine achievement to get me to go back to a single purpose portable.

david

Oct 28, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #282 of 805
Quote:

Some pics:

DSC01447.jpg

DSC01446.jpg

Holy *^&%....that thing is redicuously sexy. Even it sounded like crap, that design is sexy. Tempting...very tempting....but a company with that crappy of service...no thanks. Especially with teh issue that have arrisen thus far...hmm, maybe I'll keep an eye on the FS forum, lol.

Oct 28, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #283 of 805
Quote:

No moral dilemma whatsoever. I already emailed Larry telling him of his error. It's his fault I have it, but the amp isn't mine, it's his. He will either get it back, or I will buy it if I decide to for some reason (which I highly doubt I will).

That is, unless he never replies to my email, in which case I kind of have to keep it...and this is actually a possibility I suppose, given his track record in replying to emails...

But I am going to review it even if he wants is back right away, since the soonest it can get sent out would be Monday
smily_headphones1.gif

While I can understand the excitement of receiving a Diablo, in my opinion I think you should not touch the Diablo simply because this is something you haven't bought (since you've got a refund). You do not have the title or right to use it unless this is granted by original owner. This Diablo does not belongs to you.

If I were in your position I will return the package to the shipper.

While everyone here will be eager to learn about your expert view on how the Diablo sound, doing a review on something that you do not acquire legitimately is not the right thing to do.

Sorry for pouring cold water, but I am just speaking from my heart.

F. Lo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back