DEVA Pro with Bluemini R2R--Combining the Best of the HIFIMAN Latest Developments
Feb 24, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #181 of 354
Hello again, I've received these today. Just out of curiosity, how many hours do they need to burn in? @Ichos , what do you think?
While I never monitor the burning progress I always burn my equipment for 100 hours minimum.
The new Bluemini is R2R so it definitely needs some burn in time.
I reviewed the Deva Pro with the Bluemini after 100+ of playing music.

Feb 24, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #182 of 354
While I never monitor the burning progress I always burn my equipment for 100 hours minimum.
The new Bluemini is R2R so it definitely needs some burn in time.
I reviewed the Deva Pro with the Bluemini after 100+ of playing music.
Thanks man :)

Does the R2R accept firmware updates? If so, how can I check this?

Feb 26, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #184 of 354
I've packed them and prepared them for return on Monday. I've listening from Amazon HD and Qobuz. They sounded OK, good base I'd say. The deal breaker for me was that my neighbors, next door, could listen to my music, as well. I was obliged to listen to moderate to low volumes simply because they sound like a little loudspeaker.

Mar 3, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #185 of 354
I've packed them and prepared them for return on Monday. I've listening from Amazon HD and Qobuz. They sounded OK, good base I'd say. The deal breaker for me was that my neighbors, next door, could listen to my music, as well. I was obliged to listen to moderate to low volumes simply because they sound like a little loudspeaker.
Where is your neighbor? Next apartment, or next seat in the same room? Do you listen at high volume level?
I can't imagine anyone more than a couple of feet away from me hearing sound from the Deva Pro's.
Perhaps you just have a neighbor with hyperacusis. https://www.webmd.com/brain/sound-sensitivity-hyperacusis

Mar 3, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #186 of 354
One thing that peeves me about the Bluemini is its extremely slow charging rate.
When plugged into a powered USB hub, it takes all night to recharge the battery from the point where I heard the low-battery chime.
Another pair of BT cans I own (JBL/UA Wireless Sport Train) will fully recharge from low-battery alarm in about 2 hours.

Mar 13, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #187 of 354
Have you tried connecting it to an Android phone with a USB cable?
When I do it I get a nasty volume limit.
I can't raise the volume higher than a given limit and it is very lower than the Bluetooth connection.
The volume is low on USB and this is annoying as there's no hardware volume controls. However, i found a work around. I noticed that the Windows USB implementation allows a very high volume so therefore this is something that can be controlled externally from the input device. On Android, my strategy is to open UAPP first and adjusting the volume upward. Closing UAPP and going to another app (in my case Deezer or BBC Sounds) seems to maintain the increase the volume for that session. It appears that UAPP can control the volume in the DAC and once it's increased it stays there until disconnected from the phone.

That said, I find the Deva Pro and Bluemini R2R sound considerably better from windows than Android (noting that this is wired rather than comparing Aptx vs LDAC and also not using a bit perfect chain). This could be down to a number of things, such as APO Equalizer vs Wavelet (same equilisation ported between them but implemented in different code).

Mar 17, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #188 of 354
I've been enjoying my Deva Pro via LDAC from a Sony phone and USB from my Microsoft Surface Pro 6. Always via the Bluemini R2R as I don't have a separate headphone DAC/Amp.

My question is: Will I get a noticeable improvement above the bluemini R2R using something along the lines of a Fiio K5 Pro as a desktop Amp?

Or, seeing as I have a Topping E30 DAC on my hifi using an amp like the L30 or Sabaj A10h along with the DAC?

I would favour a single box set up for practical reasons and don't want to spend a huge amount for marginal gains.

Thanks

Mar 18, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #189 of 354
I got the Deva Pro this week. I prefer open headphones and wanted to have a Bluetooth option, for convenience.

What I love about the Deva Pro

- very good, balanced sound. So much unlike the bass-heavy sound of most (closed) Bluetooth headphones. It's very detailed but non-fatiguing. I would like a bit more pronounced treble (around 5k) though.
- very comfortable, no excessive pressure, roomy earcups. Not suitable for exercising though, as it moves too easily
- pairing and connection is very easy and reliable
- the option to use it with a USB cable and analogue cable. It has now replaced my AKG K712, which has a similar sound.

What I like less:
- no volume buttons. It's less convenient to have to adjust the volume on the source device
- the Bluetooth range is quite limited, compared to other large headphones. Maybe because the antenna is just the size of the Bluemini
- the size of the Bluemini device. It sometimes touches the collar of my sweater, which creates some noise
- some slight static audible in the right ear between tracks or when paused

What I hate
- the LED on the Bluemini. It is much too bright, and it flashes up in green every 10 seconds during playback, to show a working connection (who needs that?). I like to listen to music in the dark in bed. I even notice the reflection of the LED flashes in the room with closed eyes. I'll need to cover the LED with duct tape.

On the other hand, I don't find the status voice to be excessively loud.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #193 of 354
Second this. Add to duct tape to and I was even a little upset by this blinking light :wink:

I put duct tape on the LED to cover it completely and to see it's status there is still enough light visible through the USB-C plug hole next to the LED.

Apr 19, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #194 of 354
Good people of this thread, I need a word of advice.

Weird use case here: the Deva Pro for walking my dog. A Siberian Husky. In Paris. I guess it’s not my use case that’s weird - I’m just a weirdo. Anyway.

I tried out the Deva Pro at a show a few months ago and found it very impressive, if a bit laidback. Which is exactly what I’m looking for, something to soothe my soul in a dense, hostile environment. I am specifically looking for an open-back solution because I need to hear everything that’s going on around me, the crazed bike riders, the approaching cars, the buses. Not so much the stupid comments people make - the unpleasant bastards I’d love to just drown out so I go - less - crazy.

Is it really loose on the head though? My pup can be a rowdy little fur ball closing on 50 pounds. Cables are an absolute no-go. But I wouldn’t want these to just fly around when I’m grabbing my dog and carrying him a little distance to escape a snarling dog their owner isn’t protecting properly (you see, that would require letting go of their phone for a second - now there’s an impossible ask). I like that I can easily put them down around my neck though.

Also how fragile is the Deva Pro?

Apr 19, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #195 of 354
Est-ce que tu ne serais pas plus en sécurité avec des intras comme les Final ZE3000 (je vois que tu les as dans ta signature)
Tu aurais une qualité d'écoute, tu entendrais ton environnement et ca ne serait pas pousse au crime comme un Deva que je possède d'ailleurs mais qui est immanquable par ses dimensions ...
Ou sinon un UX3000 que je te conseilles tout autant par son agréable signature même si fermé tu ne serais pas complètement déconnecté.
Sinon le Deva n'est pas un casque fragile mais je parle des parties plastiques, pour le simili-cuir il faut faire attention.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back