DEVA Pro with Bluemini R2R--Combining the Best of the HIFIMAN Latest Developments
Jun 4, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #226 of 354
OK , guys you should have a look here.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-deva-official-thread.928847/post-16991101
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-deva-official-thread.928847/post-16992402

It seems that comparability with dual 3.5mm plugs is not guaranteed.
@trellus it seems that there is the first time for everything!

After researching cables for the Deva Pro I ended up discovering that there are only a few options that work. I bought this one:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKO5srY

It works perfectly. The jacks seat firmly, the hardware matches the Deva Pro finish and I’ve had no other issues with it whatsoever.

Jun 4, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #227 of 354
I am relived I've returned mine few months ago.

Jun 4, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #229 of 354
Didn’t like the sound?
Sound was OK. My problem was that even in moderate volume the sound leakage was too much. Another important issue for me was that they were almost falling off my head. I bought them as a Bluetooth headset to be able to move around the house, do the chores, cook, etc. Not to sit down, listening. I had to hold them while going up/down the stairs. Also, no firmware updates...

Btw, is there any other good wireless headphone, besides the Mark Levinson № 5909?

Jun 4, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #230 of 354
OK , guys you should have a look here.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-deva-official-thread.928847/post-16991101
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-deva-official-thread.928847/post-16992402

It seems that comparability with dual 3.5mm plugs is not guaranteed.
@trellus it seems that there is the first time for everything!

IMG_20220605_001625.jpg
Thank you for the information, it answers my question. Now I am buying 4.4mm TRRRS to 3.5mm TRRS. Am I right? It is sooooo confusing for the beginner!

Jun 4, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #231 of 354
Apologies if this is a repeat topic, but I'm working on a Deva Pro review and came across an oddity in using aftermarket cables with the Deva Pro, HE-R9, and I assume any of these HiFiMans that can be used with the Bluemini R2R dongle AND also powered via wired connection. Long story short, most aftermarket dual-3.5mm cables will short out the right channel and only the left will play, although with some amps you might get some sound on the right with lots of distortion and popping/crackling to go with it. Details in video:

Jun 4, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #232 of 354
Sound was OK. My problem was that even in moderate volume the sound leakage was too much. Another important issue for me was that they were almost falling off my head. I bought them as a Bluetooth headset to be able to move around the house, do the chores, cook, etc. Not to sit down, listening. I had to hold them while going up/down the stairs. Also, no firmware updates...

Btw, is there any other good wireless headphone, besides the Mark Levinson № 5909?

Totally agree on both counts. They’re not isolating at all. They’re loud outside the cans. That isn’t an issue for my use case. But the loose fit is. They don’t clamp hard enough. You’re absolutely correct that they slip around. A lot.

Jun 5, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #233 of 354
So as @samandhi posted on the Deva thread it seems that according to HiFiMan we can't officially use a balanced cable with the dual 3.5mm plugs.
But I had some great results with a balanced dual 3.5mm plugs.
Anyway here is the information from HiFiMan website.

DevaProCopy.PNG

Jun 5, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #235 of 354
After researching cables for the Deva Pro I ended up discovering that there are only a few options that work. I bought this one:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKO5srY

It works perfectly. The jacks seat firmly, the hardware matches the Deva Pro finish and I’ve had no other issues with it whatsoever.
Is it with a single ended plug or balanced?

Jun 5, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #237 of 354
So as @samandhi posted on the Deva thread it seems that according to HiFiMan we can't officially use a balanced cable with the dual 3.5mm plugs.
But I had some great results with a balanced dual 3.5mm plugs.
Anyway here is the information from HiFiMan website.

For those that might not know what this means, if you are attempting to run your Deva Pro with a dual 3.5mm balanced cable (TRRS), you are shorting out ground at your source. Not only is this dangerous to your Deva Pro, but also to the source you are plugged in to. Do not run them this way unless you plan on getting rid of your equipment.. :)

Edit: This holds true for any connector you use that is balanced out of your source to both cups of the Deva Pro (or the right side). The only safe method of using a balanced connection is via a single cable into the left cup.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #238 of 354
For those that might not know what this means, if you are attempting to run your Deva Pro with a dual 3.5mm balanced cable (TRRS), you are shorting out ground at your source. Not only is this dangerous to your Deva Pro, but also to the source you are plugged in to. Do not run them this way unless you plan on getting rid of your equipment.. :)

Edit: This holds true for any connector you use that is balanced out of your source to both cups of the Deva Pro (or the right side). The only safe method of using a balanced connection is via a single cable into the left cup.

Well. So much for my cable. Off it comes and away I go to find a single cable balanced. Thank goodness I didn’t fry anything.

Jun 5, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #239 of 354
Well. So much for my cable. Off it comes and away I go to find a single cable balanced. Thank goodness I didn’t fry anything.
In all honesty, I don't know what Hifiman was thinking with this setup. It seems more a gimmick than practical; not to mention very confusing to the customer. You can use a single cable for both SE and balanced for these. There is no need to have 2 cables at all (one dual and one single)....

Glad you didn't fry anything either. Can you return the cable? This is what I use (with a 3.5mm SE, 4.4mm Bal, and 2.5mm Bal connector so I can use any connection I need).

Edit: You don't gain anything by having a dual cable over a single cable with the way the single (left) cup is wired on these. Because the dual cable is SE only, you are still sharing a ground between the two.

Hope everyone has a great rest of your weekend?!

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #240 of 354
In all honesty, I don't know what Hifiman was thinking with this setup. It seems more a gimmick than practical; not to mention very confusing to the customer. You can use a single cable for both SE and balanced for these. There is no need to have 2 cables at all (one dual and one single)....

Glad you didn't fry anything either. Can you return the cable? This is what I use (with a 3.5mm SE, 4.4mm Bal, and 2.5mm Bal connector so I can use any connection I need).

Okay, that’s clear and yes, weird. It’s too late to return the cable but I can stick it in my archive and at some point I’ll probably end up with a use for it. Maybe a Sundara? Regardless, it isn’t an expensive item so it isn’t really that big of a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back