Dethonray Listening M1 - Compact desktop DAC/Amp Discussion + Impression thread
Mar 9, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #46 of 103
During these days of burn-in, I have been doing a detailed comparison between the M1 and RME ADI2. First of all, both of them perform very well in terms of soundstage, but there are some differences in details. The RME ADI2 has a bit more mid-bass frequencies, slightly thinner mid part,vocals placed a bit backward.While M1 has a simple and powerful bass, full mid frequencies, and vocals that are more real and lush. Overall, the sound of the M1 is more delicate, warm, and smooth. The biggest highlight of the M1 is the timbre setting switch. When listening to albums by B.B. King or Eric Clapton, setting it to Reference mode, the boundaries and layers of the guitar and vocals are simple and clear, while the RME has more bass reverberation. For albums with vocals as the focus, such as Bob Dylan or Aretha Franklin, Direct mode is a better choice. The vocal details are very beautiful, the vocals are slightly forward, and it gives a sense of listening to acapella, which is quite wonderful and completely different from most V-shaped tunings nowadays.

In terms of functions, the RME ADI2 has many functions and software settings. I mainly use the USBDAC to drive my headphones. In terms of sound, I think they both have their own characteristics and are excellent. However, in terms of design and craftsmanship, M1 is more aesthetically pleasing. In terms of size, the M1 looks more like a portable device and is very compact. At first, I couldn't imagine that such a small box could compare to the RME, but I actually discovered that the M1 has a powerful output that is unmatched by its size. In a comparison of more than an hour, after half an hour of operation, the surface temperature of the M1 did not rise too high, while under the same conditions, the temperature of the RME quickly rose and was almost too hot to touch directly. This shows that the power design of the M1 definitely has its own unique ideas, but DETHONRAY has not provided more technical details, only mentioning that different parts of the circuit have been further subdivided to ensure higher efficiency.

Because I don't have a 3.5mm to RCA cable, I haven't used the AUX function yet, so I don't know how the M1 performs as a AMP.However, the USB output has already performed well. As an analog input, the signal path is simpler and more direct, so I have higher expectations! I will share more after I get the cable.
Good review! Eric Clapton is my favorite guitarist!

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #47 of 103
Just received it, a brief audition. The bass is excellent and the high frequency extension is better than the DTR1+. The overall soundstage is wider than the DTR1+. However, the timbre still maintains the DTR1+'s framework of power, layering, and perfect details. Paired with the Fitear TITAN, just setting it at 3.5, Headphone mode, low gain can make the Fitear sound as sweet as a nightingale. The TITAN's sound is more comprehensive, but it is more picky about the AMP, and it is prone to poor low-frequency performance. However, when paired with the M1, this issue completely disappears, especially the ability to capture details is fascinating, which should be credited to the AK4499 flagship DAC and outstanding tuning ability. I also tested several high sensitive IEM, and the background is clean without noise. Because of its excellent detail performance, some old albums have easily revealed background details, such as creaking chairs and singer's breath.:relaxed: Although it has only been listened to for less than an hour, I can already feel the power of the M1.
Congrats on receiving the unit. I am jealous of the black one haha..!! (Got the Silver one, always wanted black)

Nice brief impression. Indeed one of the most transparent sources I've ever heard, if not the most. I talked with Anson, so can you compare the IEM mode in High Gain vs. HP Mode in Low gain with your sensitive IEMs?? If there are any differences in sound. Also, try the direct sound mode (3rd back Switch)

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #48 of 103
Congrats on receiving the unit. I am jealous of the black one haha..!! (Got the Silver one, always wanted black)

Nice brief impression. Indeed one of the most transparent sources I've ever heard, if not the most. I talked with Anson, so can you compare the IEM mode in High Gain vs. HP Mode in Low gain with your sensitive IEMs?? If there are any differences in sound. Also, try the direct sound mode (3rd back Switch)
I originally wanted to choose silver, but when I made the order, only black was in stock. Black and gold is also a classic color combination, and not having a choice is still the best choice!lol
I personally find that the IEM/HP mode has differences in volume, but the SQ should be consistent. The fact that there is a timbre switch on the back panel proves that the designer has already considered this issue. However, due to the different characteristics of headphones and IEM, there may be differences at different volume. Therefore, I personally think that the IEM/HP mode is designed to better accommodate different gears in terms of volume expansion, rather than being related to SQ. For the timbre setting on the back panel, I choose UP, as it provides a very good extension of the high frequencies. And for the albums I like, there are many guitars, violins, and pianos. In UP mode, the sound has a better metallic texture.

Mar 11, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #51 of 103
Bro, do you really want to know the result? If I show you the comparison result, you'll have to sell some bitcoins for this damn hobby just like me! :ksc75smile:
:sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: So true

Mar 11, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #52 of 103
Photoshoot is going on now. lol

ARP_6182.jpg

Mar 15, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #54 of 103
I must say the listening m1 form factor is a big plus in my opinion, saved up so much space when comparing to my last set up, while enhancing my overall audio experience, both with headphone and speaker.
IMG_9860.jpeg
After following with the instruction regarding the set up, especially adjusting the buffer size at the ASIO software, the sound is more energetic and crisp. I strongly advice all M1 to check with their setting and follow the instruction found at the official website.
The listening M1 is able to drive any headphone with ease, even the hd800 and T1 2nd gen.
I am currently using the Harmonicdyne G200, the large size planar magnetic headphone is not easy to drive well, but the listening M1 is doing a fine job, giving out lots of power, vocal slightly forward with a hint of warmth and sweetness.
Not fatigue to listen, feeling round and polish indeed.
IMG_9862.jpeg
But my biggest complaint is the lack of rubber feet, despite there is a slight edge on the side which also function as a feet, but this design is giving me OCD and I placed some 3M rubber feet at the bottom to ensure the perfect finish on the M1 will remain intact.
IMG_9863.jpeg
IMG_9864.jpeg

Mar 15, 2024 at 2:55 AM Post #55 of 103
especially adjusting the buffer size at the ASIO software, the sound is more energetic and crisp.
Lovely overall impression. Can you please enlighten us about how can we do that? Willing to explore this area.

Mar 15, 2024 at 3:10 AM Post #57 of 103
Okay. Checking

Mar 16, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #58 of 103
Testing such a complex DAC/Amps is hectic and tough compared to Headphones and IEMs. In fact when you can not find when it sounds bad
😅

Welcome to weekends.

1710605769799.png

Mar 17, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #60 of 103
any metal head here how is the M1 treats metal tracks :jecklinsmile:
I'm the metalhead here lol

Powerful man. Bass Guitar felt so lively. I love how Tool (Happens to be my top 2 Metal Bands) sounds in this DAC/Amp. Very clean. Chef's kiss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back