Dethonray Listening M1 - Compact desktop DAC/Amp Discussion + Impression thread
Feb 21, 2024 at 1:58 AM Post #32 of 103
I don't think there is a balanced LO.

Feb 22, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #34 of 103
A quick impression! Windows laptop, ASIO dirver, my favourite HD800 and albums. 6.35 to 3.5 cable. The vocal of HD800 is charming. I always thought HD800 was known for its top instruments preformance, and M1 changed everything and now HD800 like an all-rounder. 30 hours burn in,to feel the changes in details...

20240222153835.jpg

Feb 22, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #35 of 103
A quick impression! Windows laptop, ASIO dirver, my favourite HD800 and albums. 6.35 to 3.5 cable. The vocal of HD800 is charming. I always thought HD800 was known for its top instruments preformance, and M1 changed everything and now HD800 like an all-rounder. 30 hours burn in,to feel the changes in details...

20240222153835.jpg
Lovely. I'm also finding an 800 to test it with M1.

Feb 23, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #36 of 103
Impeccable pairing.
AK SP1000m >>> Dethonray Listening M1 >>> Audeze LCD-2 (Pre-Fazor) + ZMF Lambskin + Custom 4.4mm SPC Cable

20240223_183241_001.jpg

Feb 27, 2024 at 1:09 AM Post #39 of 103
During these days of burn-in, I have been doing a detailed comparison between the M1 and RME ADI2. First of all, both of them perform very well in terms of soundstage, but there are some differences in details. The RME ADI2 has a bit more mid-bass frequencies, slightly thinner mid part,vocals placed a bit backward.While M1 has a simple and powerful bass, full mid frequencies, and vocals that are more real and lush. Overall, the sound of the M1 is more delicate, warm, and smooth. The biggest highlight of the M1 is the timbre setting switch. When listening to albums by B.B. King or Eric Clapton, setting it to Reference mode, the boundaries and layers of the guitar and vocals are simple and clear, while the RME has more bass reverberation. For albums with vocals as the focus, such as Bob Dylan or Aretha Franklin, Direct mode is a better choice. The vocal details are very beautiful, the vocals are slightly forward, and it gives a sense of listening to acapella, which is quite wonderful and completely different from most V-shaped tunings nowadays.

20240227134714.jpg

In terms of functions, the RME ADI2 has many functions and software settings. I mainly use the USBDAC to drive my headphones. In terms of sound, I think they both have their own characteristics and are excellent. However, in terms of design and craftsmanship, M1 is more aesthetically pleasing. In terms of size, the M1 looks more like a portable device and is very compact. At first, I couldn't imagine that such a small box could compare to the RME, but I actually discovered that the M1 has a powerful output that is unmatched by its size. In a comparison of more than an hour, after half an hour of operation, the surface temperature of the M1 did not rise too high, while under the same conditions, the temperature of the RME quickly rose and was almost too hot to touch directly. This shows that the power design of the M1 definitely has its own unique ideas, but DETHONRAY has not provided more technical details, only mentioning that different parts of the circuit have been further subdivided to ensure higher efficiency.

Because I don't have a 3.5mm to RCA cable, I haven't used the AUX function yet, so I don't know how the M1 performs as a AMP.However, the USB output has already performed well. As an analog input, the signal path is simpler and more direct, so I have higher expectations! I will share more after I get the cable.

Feb 27, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #41 of 103
During these days of burn-in, I have been doing a detailed comparison between the M1 and RME ADI2. First of all, both of them perform very well in terms of soundstage, but there are some differences in details. The RME ADI2 has a bit more mid-bass frequencies, slightly thinner mid part,vocals placed a bit backward.While M1 has a simple and powerful bass, full mid frequencies, and vocals that are more real and lush. Overall, the sound of the M1 is more delicate, warm, and smooth. The biggest highlight of the M1 is the timbre setting switch. When listening to albums by B.B. King or Eric Clapton, setting it to Reference mode, the boundaries and layers of the guitar and vocals are simple and clear, while the RME has more bass reverberation. For albums with vocals as the focus, such as Bob Dylan or Aretha Franklin, Direct mode is a better choice. The vocal details are very beautiful, the vocals are slightly forward, and it gives a sense of listening to acapella, which is quite wonderful and completely different from most V-shaped tunings nowadays.

20240227134714.jpg
In terms of functions, the RME ADI2 has many functions and software settings. I mainly use the USBDAC to drive my headphones. In terms of sound, I think they both have their own characteristics and are excellent. However, in terms of design and craftsmanship, M1 is more aesthetically pleasing. In terms of size, the M1 looks more like a portable device and is very compact. At first, I couldn't imagine that such a small box could compare to the RME, but I actually discovered that the M1 has a powerful output that is unmatched by its size. In a comparison of more than an hour, after half an hour of operation, the surface temperature of the M1 did not rise too high, while under the same conditions, the temperature of the RME quickly rose and was almost too hot to touch directly. This shows that the power design of the M1 definitely has its own unique ideas, but DETHONRAY has not provided more technical details, only mentioning that different parts of the circuit have been further subdivided to ensure higher efficiency.

Because I don't have a 3.5mm to RCA cable, I haven't used the AUX function yet, so I don't know how the M1 performs as a AMP.However, the USB output has already performed well. As an analog input, the signal path is simpler and more direct, so I have higher expectations! I will share more after I get the cable.
Very nice detailed analysis. Waiting for your full review

Feb 27, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #42 of 103
I haven't tried any more sources yet, just using my laptop and iPhone. Is there a more significant improvement in SPK compared to mobile phones?
I hadn't expected this but when I compared my phone (S22 in this case) connected to SPK, for SPK the sound instantly made a difference. The lows went deeper than the phone and overall there is an uplift in energy in the entire freq. range. The only thing was when I turned on Dolby Atmos, with Apple Music Atmos tracks the imaging felt a bit better on the Phone. Tested A/B.

Connected HP- HD6XX

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:25 AM Post #43 of 103
Last night again with the same pairing.

20240223_183436.jpg

Mar 6, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #44 of 103
With little brother.

In the process of review.

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-05 at 23.49.51_1164888f.jpg

Mar 9, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #45 of 103
Just received it, a brief audition. The bass is excellent and the high frequency extension is better than the DTR1+. The overall soundstage is wider than the DTR1+. However, the timbre still maintains the DTR1+'s framework of power, layering, and perfect details. Paired with the Fitear TITAN, just setting it at 3.5, Headphone mode, low gain can make the Fitear sound as sweet as a nightingale. The TITAN's sound is more comprehensive, but it is more picky about the AMP, and it is prone to poor low-frequency performance. However, when paired with the M1, this issue completely disappears, especially the ability to capture details is fascinating, which should be credited to the AK4499 flagship DAC and outstanding tuning ability. I also tested several high sensitive IEM, and the background is clean without noise. Because of its excellent detail performance, some old albums have easily revealed background details, such as creaking chairs and singer's breath.:relaxed: Although it has only been listened to for less than an hour, I can already feel the power of the M1.

Attachments

• 1710006959839.png
    1710006959839.png
    886.7 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back