Dethonray Listening M1 - Compact desktop DAC/Amp Discussion + Impression thread
Feb 16, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #16 of 103
This thing for real? Overall design screams it's a $45 knockoff chinese product (even that's an understatement) - for starters the shape of that volume knob... like seriously?? looks downright dreadful - also the colour on that volume knob needs to be matte black/silver - that gold colour had to be one of the worst options.. Also that logo thing on the top needs to be removed completely. These are just the most obvious flaws - not even going to mention the font for that "listening m1" inscription and the overall look of that gain knob. You can't seriously put out a design like this and then put 2.5k msrp on it
Have you seen it or just judging by the photos?

1. I respect your point but a housing design is a very subjective thing, even someone can hate Apple's design as well. In my experience, the machining quality is on the level of an Apple product (Taking that I own 3 Apple products right now). The volume knob is not new. Dethonray used the same knob design as the previous product Pegasus SG1.

-

Check the video for volume knob design emphasis (I've timestamped at the exact point)
For the colour scheme. It comes in different colours but we got the silver one.

2. Finally, how does the look of a housing matter in an audiophile product? The value should depend on how it sounds and it sounds incredible.

Feb 17, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #17 of 103
Here is a side by side comparison of the volume knob design between SG1 and M1
IMG_9372.jpeg
The craftsmanship is amazing with plenty of detail, not a lot of brand focus so much of the detail
IMG_9373.jpeg
Plenty of input on the rear, I am glad anson didn’t leave the usb type B behind and there are a few toggles to adjust for different set up.

Feb 17, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #18 of 103
Fun fact, the RCA ports can be used both ways. In terms of amplification, only RCA is used as input from standalone DACs or DAPs as source. Also, RCA is lineout when working in USB DAC/BT/COAX modes. So it is a multi-function design.

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-17 at 13.40.31_d1caeda2.jpg

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:23 AM Post #19 of 103
Fun fact, the RCA ports can be used both ways. In terms of amplification, only RCA is used as input from standalone DACs or DAPs as source. Also, RCA is lineout when working in USB DAC/BT/COAX modes. So it is a multi-function design.

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-17 at 13.40.31_d1caeda2.jpg
Thanks for the information, sounds like it will be pair great with my genelec speaker, can’t wait to get myself a unit to try out this set up

Feb 17, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #21 of 103
Hi any chance someone can share your impression of the M1 please? How does it sound in general.. thanks!
Hi, would love to give you a detail. But I'm testing with different equipment I have right now. From low to high sensitive IEMs and Planar, DDs, MLD driver full-size HPs. That's why it's taking time.

One thing I can say, it is bringing out so many technicalities from not so-technical LCD-2 Rosewood. I cannot believe

Feb 18, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #22 of 103
Hi, would love to give you a detail. But I'm testing with different equipment I have right now. From low to high sensitive IEMs and Planar, DDs, MLD driver full-size HPs. That's why it's taking time.

One thing I can say, it is bringing out so many technicalities from not so-technical LCD-2 Rosewood. I cannot believe
Nice.. Good to know

Feb 18, 2024 at 2:43 AM Post #24 of 103
I read somewhere M1 can be powered by power bank?
I have seen the power bank before, the black brick itself doesn’t look fancy and it looks more like a proof of concept. Looking forward to the actual final product and pray it will be the same size and look similar to the m1, in order to satisfy us who have serious OCD.
BTW, credit to 113usic for disclosing the details on YouTube

IMG_9665.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #25 of 103
1708287069023.png

Here is a closer look at the Battery. It's a 10000mAh Power Bank and runs around 8 to 10 hours with M1.

Feb 20, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #27 of 103
Here is a side by side comparison of the volume knob design between SG1 and M1
IMG_9372.jpeg
The craftsmanship is amazing with plenty of detail, not a lot of brand focus so much of the detail
IMG_9373.jpeg
Plenty of input on the rear, I am glad anson didn’t leave the usb type B behind and there are a few toggles to adjust for different set up.
The IEM/Headphone switch is great! It is so convenient to connect IEM and headphone simultaneously. If timbre could do so, it would be perfect!

Feb 20, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #28 of 103
7d1e27e3-b026-4396-ba60-4a74c006e204.jpeg
Finally received my set today, what a compact beast, the size is much smaller than my previous set up (yulong da11) and works well with my generic 8010. Time for run in and see how it will develop, simply cant wait.
Don't forget to burn in

Feb 20, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #29 of 103
The soundstage went crazy with HD6XX. I've never heard of this unreal big soundstage for this headphone before.

A&K SP1000m >>> Dethonray Listening M1 >>> Sennheiser HD6XX + Custom Made SPC balanced Cable + Dekoni Audio Valour

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-21 at 02.55.40_b586b626.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back