Dethonray Honey H1 - USB DAC/AMP
Sep 1, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #46 of 1,004
I hear the DAC chip will be the AK4497.

Yes, the DAC chip being implemented is the AKM4497.

You can pretty much look at Dethonray's naming convention and work out where their releases are aimed at (which is a welcome change from the coded gibberish naming conventions from other manufacturers).
I've owned the DTR1 and HA2 as a combo. Where the DTR1 (Prelude) was a neutrally tuned introductory player with (for me) a slight roll-off in the lowest frequencies but a beautifully detailed presentation, the Honey is almost the opposite in tonality.
The H1 (Honey) sounds SWEET, rich with a much warmer presentation, more low end emphasis and that richness is also in the mids with a far more emotional, lush vocal presentation than the DTR1. Still retains the detail retrieval of the DTR1 but is a noticeably less aggressive sounding device. The H1 also sounded wider in my brief audition with slightly better layering capabilities... but then I don't find the DTR1's soundstaging abilities to be much above average.
Power wise, the H1 via 4.4mm has around as much power as the DTR1 and HA2 amplifier combined.

4.4mm balanced, 3.5mm, line-out and optical out (which I find odd) on one side and a USB-C data input AND a separate USB-C power on the other.
I would have liked to have seen some sort of digital input for use with a digital transport but for mobile, tablet and laptop users, this is a great portable device.
Build quality is top notch and solid. Nice satin blue finish, solid weight. At least as good as other devices in the $500 mark and above.

Tonally the H1 balanced out had a lot in common with the more laid back, thicker presentation of my Sony WM1Z while the DTR1's is closer to the performance of the raw, neutral performance of my Hifiman R2R2000 (Black). I'm talking tonally here, not resolution or detail retrieval because we're talking show conditions and about half an hour's audition and it would be unfair to say I could pick up on the nuances, but detail retrieval SEEMS to be at least as good as the DTR1.
An additional thing to note is due to the different tonal presentations, as I do with my WM1Z and R2R2000, I found better synergies with different earphones between the DTR1 and H1, the former performing better with neutral to warmer headphones/earphones (Campfire Audio Cascade, Metal Magic Research Thummim and JH Audio Layla with dials at 12 O'Clock) while the H1 sounded far better with more neutral to bright headphones/earphones (Focal Utopia, Rhapsodio Solar 2 and JH Audio Layla with dials at 7 O'Clock).

The tuning may surprise those who have grown to enjoy the DTR1's presentation and I think it may attract new fans while dividing those who are accustomed to the DTR1's sonic performance. If I didn't know these were from the same manufacturer, I would never have guessed it and it's highly unusual (and also refreshing) to see a manufacturer trying something different with different models instead of going down the route of adopting a house sound.

I own quite a few portable devices and I can tell you now there is very little in the totally portable audio segment with this level power type, resolving sound but an extremely warm and musical tonal presentation, especially at this price point. For fans of warm, dynamic, analogue presentations. As with the DTR1, the Honey H1 punches WAY above its price band.

Are you excited yet? Because I think you should be.

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #47 of 1,004

You can pretty much look at Dethonray's naming convention and work out where their releases are aimed at (which is a welcome change from the coded gibberish naming conventions from other manufacturers).
I've owned the DTR1 and HA2 as a combo. Where the DTR1 (Prelude) was a neutrally tuned introductory player with (for me) a slight roll-off in the lowest frequencies but a beautifully detailed presentation, the Honey is almost the opposite in tonality.
The H1 (Honey) sounds SWEET, rich with a much warmer presentation, more low end emphasis and that richness is also in the mids with a far more emotional, lush vocal presentation than the DTR1. Still retains the detail retrieval of the DTR1 but is a noticeably less aggressive sounding device. The H1 also sounded wider in my brief audition with slightly better layering capabilities... but then I don't find the DTR1's soundstaging abilities to be much above average.
Power wise, the H1 via 4.4mm has around as much power as the DTR1 and HA2 amplifier combined.

4.4mm balanced, 3.5mm, line-out and optical out (which I find odd) on one side and a USB-C data input AND a separate USB-C power on the other.
I would have liked to have seen some sort of digital input for use with a digital transport but for mobile, tablet and laptop users, this is a great portable device.
Build quality is top notch and solid. Nice satin blue finish, solid weight. At least as good as other devices in the $500 mark and above.

Tonally the H1 balanced out had a lot in common with the more laid back, thicker presentation of my Sony WM1Z while the DTR1's is closer to the performance of the raw, neutral performance of my Hifiman R2R2000 (Black). I'm talking tonally here, not resolution or detail retrieval because we're talking show conditions and about half an hour's audition and it would be unfair to say I could pick up on the nuances, but detail retrieval SEEMS to be at least as good as the DTR1.
An additional thing to note is due to the different tonal presentations, as I do with my WM1Z and R2R2000, I found better synergies with different earphones between the DTR1 and H1, the former performing better with neutral to warmer headphones/earphones (Campfire Audio Cascade, Metal Magic Research Thummim and JH Audio Layla with dials at 12 O'Clock) while the H1 sounded far better with more neutral to bright headphones/earphones (Focal Utopia, Rhapsodio Solar 2 and JH Audio Layla with dials at 7 O'Clock).

The tuning may surprise those who have grown to enjoy the DTR1's presentation and I think it may attract new fans while dividing those who are accustomed to the DTR1's sonic performance. If I didn't know these were from the same manufacturer, I would never have guessed it and it's highly unusual (and also refreshing) to see a manufacturer trying something different with different models instead of going down the route of adopting a house sound.

I own quite a few portable devices and I can tell you now there is very little in the totally portable audio segment with this level power type, resolving sound but an extremely warm and musical tonal presentation, especially at this price point. For fans of warm, dynamic, analogue presentations. As with the DTR1, the Honey H1 punches WAY above its price band.

Thank you very much for your impressions! You make us even more impatient :)

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #48 of 1,004
Thank you very much for your impressions! You make us even more impatient :)

You're more than welcome.
Anson is releasing a very limited batch in China this month and looking to make later batches available abroad a month later (though that's subject to change due to current shipping issues from China).

Reading your signiature reminded me; if there is another player (aside from WM1Z) whose tonality I would say closest matches what I heard the Honey H1, it is the Calyx M. Unreliable audio memory aside, I remember well it giving the same feeling of a warm, lush presentation but with the resolving power of the DTR1.
You're clearly a fan of both devices and I suspect you may well fall in love with the Honey H1.

Sep 2, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #49 of 1,004
You're more than welcome.
Anson is releasing a very limited batch in China this month and looking to make later batches available abroad a month later (though that's subject to change due to current shipping issues from China).

Reading your signiature reminded me; if there is another player (aside from WM1Z) whose tonality I would say closest matches what I heard the Honey H1, it is the Calyx M. Unreliable audio memory aside, I remember well it giving the same feeling of a warm, lush presentation but with the resolving power of the DTR1.
You're clearly a fan of both devices and I suspect you may well fall in love with the Honey H1.
As a hardcore Dethonray fanboy, the question is not if I will get the H1 or not, but when. I might buy an unexpensive and modern DAP with a touchscreen as a « transport » and use it via LO through H1.

Dumb question: using this potential new DAP via LO will allow me to only benefit from the amplification stage of the H1 or also from its DAC-Chip? I never owned an usb dac/amp before...

Regarding the optical out, in which scenario could it be used? I don’t see...

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #50 of 1,004
Isn't the only input on H1 the USB? I really don't see what use the optical out would be.

Sep 2, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #51 of 1,004

Now ... THIS is what we've been waiting for! Thanks for what is perhaps the very first impressions of the H1 Honey and it's better than what we could have hoped for. :L3000:

Can't wait to get our hands on them when they're finally out. My DTR1 and HA2 will have a new sibling in the family... yea.

Sep 2, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #52 of 1,004
As a hardcore Dethonray fanboy, the question is not if I will get the H1 or not, but when. I might buy an unexpensive and modern DAP with a touchscreen as a « transport » and use it via LO through H1.

Dumb question: using this potential new DAP via LO will allow me to only benefit from the amplification stage of the H1 or also from its DAC-Chip? I never owned an usb dac/amp before...

Regarding the optical out, in which scenario could it be used? I don’t see...

Only via USB-C input, so an OTG cable or maybe a bluetooth attachment to the USB input.

Design and input wise, i'd think it's more for the portable desktop or tablet companion more than a smartphone (although still possible), cos otherwise the DTR1 would make a more portable companion.

Sep 2, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #53 of 1,004
Only via USB-C input, so an OTG cable or maybe a bluetooth attachment to the USB input.

Design and input wise, i'd think it's more for the portable desktop or tablet companion more than a smartphone (although still possible), cos otherwise the DTR1 would make a more portable companion.
I think that a lot of people will use their smartphone to stream their music via the H1. In my case, it will be for my Macbook Pro.

Sep 2, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #56 of 1,004
pairing the DTR1 as a Dac and the H1 as an amplifier, would that be far fetched? but the curiosity remains there
My plan as well, as soon as the H1 has arrived.

Sep 3, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #57 of 1,004
Well being a big Dethonray Fan, I have pre ordered the Honey H1 in India as probably my end game dac amp. Does any know if it's a dual dac implementation for the balanced out and any info on output impedance as I would like to use my CA Andromeda with the Honey.

Sep 6, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #58 of 1,004
@mayurs afaik, it is a single dac implementation.

Sep 6, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #59 of 1,004
Different ports for data and charge might be increasing the sound quality but it’s a little annoying while using laptop. It’s connected to a power source but it doesn’t charge. one more cable is needed for long listening sessions. Another scenario is using as a dac over LO with a desktop amp. It’s better experience using just a cable for data and charging but I’m not sure how it effects noise level and sound quality.

Sep 7, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #60 of 1,004
Different ports for data and charge might be increasing the sound quality but it’s a little annoying while using laptop. It’s connected to a power source but it doesn’t charge. one more cable is needed for long listening sessions. Another scenario is using as a dac over LO with a desktop amp. It’s better experience using just a cable for data and charging but I’m not sure how it effects noise level and sound quality.
Chord Hugo 2 has an elegant solution to the desktop use case: If it's been connected to the power supply for over 24 hours it will automatically enter something called intelligent desktop mode where the power source would only provide power to the operation but not charge the built-in battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back