Dethonray Honey H1 - USB DAC/AMP
Oct 6, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #77 of 1,004
images

Oct 6, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #78 of 1,004
Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #83 of 1,004
Yes, the DAC chip being implemented is the AKM4497.

You can pretty much look at Dethonray's naming convention and work out where their releases are aimed at (which is a welcome change from the coded gibberish naming conventions from other manufacturers).
I've owned the DTR1 and HA2 as a combo. Where the DTR1 (Prelude) was a neutrally tuned introductory player with (for me) a slight roll-off in the lowest frequencies but a beautifully detailed presentation, the Honey is almost the opposite in tonality.
The H1 (Honey) sounds SWEET, rich with a much warmer presentation, more low end emphasis and that richness is also in the mids with a far more emotional, lush vocal presentation than the DTR1. Still retains the detail retrieval of the DTR1 but is a noticeably less aggressive sounding device. The H1 also sounded wider in my brief audition with slightly better layering capabilities... but then I don't find the DTR1's soundstaging abilities to be much above average.
Power wise, the H1 via 4.4mm has around as much power as the DTR1 and HA2 amplifier combined.

4.4mm balanced, 3.5mm, line-out and optical out (which I find odd) on one side and a USB-C data input AND a separate USB-C power on the other.
I would have liked to have seen some sort of digital input for use with a digital transport but for mobile, tablet and laptop users, this is a great portable device.
Build quality is top notch and solid. Nice satin blue finish, solid weight. At least as good as other devices in the $500 mark and above.

Tonally the H1 balanced out had a lot in common with the more laid back, thicker presentation of my Sony WM1Z while the DTR1's is closer to the performance of the raw, neutral performance of my Hifiman R2R2000 (Black). I'm talking tonally here, not resolution or detail retrieval because we're talking show conditions and about half an hour's audition and it would be unfair to say I could pick up on the nuances, but detail retrieval SEEMS to be at least as good as the DTR1.
An additional thing to note is due to the different tonal presentations, as I do with my WM1Z and R2R2000, I found better synergies with different earphones between the DTR1 and H1, the former performing better with neutral to warmer headphones/earphones (Campfire Audio Cascade, Metal Magic Research Thummim and JH Audio Layla with dials at 12 O'Clock) while the H1 sounded far better with more neutral to bright headphones/earphones (Focal Utopia, Rhapsodio Solar 2 and JH Audio Layla with dials at 7 O'Clock).

The tuning may surprise those who have grown to enjoy the DTR1's presentation and I think it may attract new fans while dividing those who are accustomed to the DTR1's sonic performance. If I didn't know these were from the same manufacturer, I would never have guessed it and it's highly unusual (and also refreshing) to see a manufacturer trying something different with different models instead of going down the route of adopting a house sound.

I own quite a few portable devices and I can tell you now there is very little in the totally portable audio segment with this level power type, resolving sound but an extremely warm and musical tonal presentation, especially at this price point. For fans of warm, dynamic, analogue presentations. As with the DTR1, the Honey H1 punches WAY above its price band.

Are you excited yet? Because I think you should be.

Thank you! Anson claims surpass desktop dac amp, I am half convinced but looking back how the DTR1 + HA2 performs I am really curious about H1

Oct 8, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #84 of 1,004
Hi Pete, do you own H1 already? mind to share the pict from all side please?
Yes I received it right before our week-long National Day holidays. I will try to post more images later over the weekend. We just got back to work today and tomorrow is a workday as well. I will definitely share detailed sound impressions in the coming week or so. Stay tuned. :)

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #86 of 1,004
Thank you! Anson claims surpass desktop dac amp, I am half convinced but looking back how the DTR1 + HA2 performs I am really curious about H1
I don’t like such claims. I like Dethonray but claiming that the H1 will surpass desktop DACs is a bit too bold IMO. Maybe he meant the cheaper ones?

Oct 9, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #87 of 1,004
I don’t like such claims. I like Dethonray but claiming that the H1 will surpass desktop DACs is a bit too bold IMO. Maybe he meant the cheaper ones?
Let's gather impressions from different owners first. Also outside HF. I used to own (quite) potent separate desktop amp and dac units back in the days, and I am not sure I want to go back in time. It is very personal, though. I have high expectations about the H1, but expectations also are personal and based on previous experiences. We all have followed a different path in the audio realm.

The DTR1 and HA-2 are music companions of choice in tonight's listening session and this pairing is no joke with the "modest" Sony N3. Special mention to the natural tone of the sound, the impressive layering and depth performance and also detail retrieval. The N3's bass is tight yet powerful with the JVC Spiral Dots, crazy! Dethonray's fan boy? Yes, but I really am enthusiastic about the combo as a whole and as a music lover in the first place.

No need to say I am very excited to get the H1, so that I can compare the aforementioned combo with the new-kid-in-town-all-in-one-solution ... (Anson, "magicman", read your mailbox please, I am waiting for my unit :wink:)

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #88 of 1,004
Let's gather impressions from different owners first. Also outside HF. I used to own (quite) potent separate desktop amp and dac units back in the days, and I am not sure I want to go back in time. It is very personal, though. I have high expectations about the H1, but expectations also are personal and based on previous experiences. We all have followed a different path in the audio realm.

The DTR1 and HA-2 are music companions of choice in tonight's listening session and this pairing is no joke with the "modest" Sony N3. Special mention to the natural tone of the sound, the impressive layering and depth performance and also detail retrieval. The N3's bass is tight yet powerful with the JVC Spiral Dots, crazy! Dethonray's fan boy? Yes, but I really am enthusiastic about the combo as a whole and as a music lover in the first place.

No need to say I am very excited to get the H1, so that I can compare the aforementioned combo with the new-kid-in-town-all-in-one-solution ... (Anson, "magicman", read your mailbox please, I am waiting for my unit :wink:)
of course, let’s wait and see (and hear). It’s just that I read those claims too often in different headfi threads :wink:

Oct 10, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #90 of 1,004
As soon as we all have received our unit, this thread will go crazy... oh, it’s just a feeling :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back