Dethonray Honey H1 - USB DAC/AMP
Oct 19, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #106 of 1,004
After a few busy working days and a short business trip to Shanghai over the weekend, I am finally back home and can do a proper write-up to share my experience of the Dethonray Honey H1 with you.

Let me start by introducing some of my listening preferences and the gears that I have and can be used with the H1 or be used to compared with the H1. I mainly listen to a wide range of classical music (symphonies, orchestral works, operas, chamber music, piano/violin/cello solo works, etc.) with some classic rock and jazz thrown in occasionally. I only listen to high resolution (24/96, 24/192, DSD) and CD-quality lossless files purchased online or personally "ripped" from CDs and SACDs. In addition to listening to local files I also subscribe to high-rez streaming services like Qobuz so I can enjoy high quality music on the go. I own several standalone DAPs (HiFiMAN HM1000/901S/801, Cowon Plenue L, Lotoo PAW Gold, Shanling M6 Pro, Dethonray DTR1, etc.) and the DTR1 introduced me to the Dethonray brand and its founder Anson Tse. Anson has always been pleasant to deal with, listening to customer feedback and providing new features or bug fixes via firmware updates. Let me remind you that some of those new features or fixes were much more than just cosmetic changes. For example the additions of SACD ISO image file compatibility or near-perfect gapless playback were among the game changers for me since receiving the DTR1. Within a few months the DTR1 had become a much more capable DAP on top of its energetic sound signature and ample power. I was very impressed by the DTR1 and when I heard that Dethonray was working on a portable USB DAC / headphone amp, my reaction was an immediate "When I can listen to one of these?"

Fast forward many months and one pandemic later, just before the start of the October 1 National Day holidays, the retail version of the Dethonray Honey H1 arrived at my doorsteps. Over the past few weeks I have used the H1 as my main go-to DAC/amp after breaking it in for about 75-80 hours. The digital sources include my MacBook Pro running Audirvana 3.5, Shanling M6 Pro as a transport, Google Pixel 4 XL running USB Audio Player Pro. The only data cable I used was the very short USB C-to-C cable that came with the H1. I've paired the H1 (using both the 4.4mm balanced and the 3.5mm single-ended outputs) with almost every headphones and IEMs that I currently have. These include the Focal Utopia (with Stefan AudioArt Endorphin balanced cable), HiFiMAN Susvara & HE1000 V2, MrSpeakers Ether C Flow, Fostex TH900, AKG K872, Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless (in passive wired mode), Light Harmonic Oscar XXI, Dunu DK4001 & 17th Anniversary, HiFiMAN RE2000. I am glad to report that the H1 is able to drive all of the above beautifully with the only exception of the HiFiMAN Susvara whose power requirement clearly demands a desktop amp. Among headphones my personal favorite pairings with the H1 are the Utopia and the HE1000 V2. Some people might think pairing the H1 with the much more expensive Utopia would be a stretch (the H1 only costs slightly higher than what I paid for the Stefan AudioArt cable...) but in reality I love the sound of this combination. Thanks to Anson's expertise and attention to detail in the power supply department, the H1 delivers a sound that is full-bodied and authoritative which I think is not often seen even at two or three times its price range. If you compare with the H1 with the DTR1, the H1 sounds more resolving with better micro details and a bigger, more stable sound stage. The overall sound of the H1 is more refined than the DTR1 but the H1 doesn't sacrifice the ability to bring out the liveliness of the music. The H1 sounds every bit as energetic which often makes me want to tap my fingers along with the rhythm yet it does so with a kind of elegance and ease, never sounding rough, raw or being pushed. Further more, the H1 is better at deliver the nuances and emotions of the performance compared with the DTR1. I use classical music as the ultimate benchmark and the H1 delivers here. Instrument timbre is stop on when paired with great headphones or IEMs but for me it's the H1's delivery of the human voice ultimately has me pleasantly surprised. Listening to a recording by the great German lyric tenor Peter Schreier accompanied by a single classical guitar, the H1 delivered such stunning range of sheer power and outburst of emotion that almost brought me to tears. It was literally like the late Schreier showcasing his art in my living room within touching distance. So real and palpable. What more can I ask when a little piece of portable audio gear could bring such moving music to me in such a delicate yet powerful way? Don't hesitate to pair your best headphones and IEMs with the H1 as this would only bring the best out of the H1.

As always with one of the earliest units that came out of the retail batch, the H1 I received has some minor glitches or incompatibility issues. For me the most glaring issue is DSD playback at the moment. No matter what settings I tried to tweak, I couldn't get Audirvana to successfully output DSD signal to the H1. My Pixel phone running Android 11 and USB Audio Player Pro works using DSD-over-PCM (DoP) mode but not every time. Sometimes I would hear just white static sound but restarting either the phone or the H1 would then often make DSD work. Another issue is that it seems I need to plug in the headphone plug into either the 4.4mm or 3.5mm connector before turning the H1 on. It appears to be doing some kind of "scanning" the ports so whichever port that's plugged in will work properly when turned on. Another minor issue is that while the volume knob feels great physically, the actual volume change is currently not entirely linear. You can feel the "steps" when you turn up the volume . Anson told me the H1's firmware is upgradable using a Windows PC so I am quite confident that these minor issues will be resolved in the near future, perhaps even before most of you receive your retail units. Another minor gripe about the design from me: there are separate USB-C ports for data and charging the battery which means you cannot connect to a computer and charge it using the same cable while using it (you can plug in another cable to the charging port to charge it though). Anson told me he made his design choice for the sake of sound and I think I'll live with this if it means cleaner, better sound.

Overall, we have a winner here with the Dethonray Honey H1. Even without considering its surprisingly reasonable price point, the H1 is one of the most impressive portable DAC / Headphone amp out there today. Dethonray has hit another one out of the park and you won't be disappointed. For me it's always about forgetting spec wars and giving me the best damn sound, the H1 does that in spades.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #107 of 1,004
After a few busy working days and a short business trip to Shanghai over the weekend, I am finally back home and can do a proper write-up to share my experience of the Dethonray Honey H1 with you.

Let me start by introducing some of my listening preferences and the gears that I have and can be used with the H1 or be used to compared with the H1. I mainly listen to a wide range of classical music (symphonies, orchestral works, operas, chamber music, piano/violin/cello solo works, etc.) with some classic rock and jazz thrown in occasionally. I only listen to high resolution (24/96, 24/192, DSD) and CD-quality lossless files purchased online or personally "ripped" from CDs and SACDs. In addition to listening to local files I also subscribe to high-rez streaming services like Qobuz so I can enjoy high quality music on the go. I own several standalone DAPs (HiFiMAN HM1000/901S/801, Cowon Plenue L, Lotoo PAW Gold, Shanling M6 Pro, Dethonray DTR1, etc.) and the DTR1 introduced me to the Dethonray brand and its founder Anson Tse. Anson has always been pleasant to deal with, listening to customer feedback and providing new features or bug fixes via firmware updates. Let me remind you that some of those new features or fixes were much more than just cosmetic changes. For example the additions of SACD ISO image file compatibility or near-perfect gapless playback were among the game changers for me since receiving the DTR1. Within a few months the DTR1 had become a much more capable DAP on top of its energetic sound signature and ample power. I was very impressed by the DTR1 and when I heard that Dethonray was working on a portable USB DAC / headphone amp, my reaction was an immediate "When I can listen to one of these?"

Fast forward many months and one pandemic later, just before the start of the October 1 National Day holidays, the retail version of the Dethonray Honey H1 arrived at my doorsteps. Over the past few weeks I have used the H1 as my main go-to DAC/amp after breaking it in for about 75-80 hours. The digital sources include my MacBook Pro running Audirvana 3.5, Shanling M6 Pro as a transport, Google Pixel 4 XL running USB Audio Player Pro. The only data cable I used was the very short USB C-to-C cable that came with the H1. I've paired the H1 (using both the 4.4mm balanced and the 3.5mm single-ended outputs) with almost every headphones and IEMs that I currently have. These include the Focal Utopia (with Stefan AudioArt Endorphin balanced cable), HiFiMAN Susvara & HE1000 V2, MrSpeakers Ether C Flow, Fostex TH900, AKG K872, Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless (in passive wired mode), Light Harmonic Oscar XXI, Dunu DK4001 & 17th Anniversary, HiFiMAN RE2000. I am glad to report that the H1 is able to drive all of the above beautifully with the only exception of the HiFiMAN Susvara whose power requirement clearly demands a desktop amp. Among headphones my personal favorite pairings with the H1 are the Utopia and the HE1000 V2. Some people might think pairing the H1 with the much more expensive Utopia would be a stretch (the H1 only costs slightly higher than what I paid for the Stefan AudioArt cable...) but in reality I love the sound of this combination. Thanks to Anson's expertise and attention to detail in the power supply department, the H1 delivers a sound that is full-bodied and authoritative which I think is not often seen even at two or three times its price range. If you compare with the H1 with the DTR1, the H1 sounds more resolving with better micro details and a bigger, more stable sound stage. The overall sound of the H1 is more refined than the DTR1 but the H1 doesn't sacrifice the ability to bring out the liveliness of the music. The H1 sounds every bit as energetic which often makes me want to tap my fingers along with the rhythm yet it does so with a kind of elegance and ease, never sounding rough, raw or being pushed. Further more, the H1 is better at deliver the nuances and emotions of the performance compared with the DTR1. I use classical music as the ultimate benchmark and the H1 delivers here. Instrument timbre is stop on when paired with great headphones or IEMs but for me it's the H1's delivery of the human voice ultimately has me pleasantly surprised. Listening to a recording by the great German lyric tenor Peter Schreier accompanied by a single classical guitar, the H1 delivered such stunning range of sheer power and outburst of emotion that almost brought me to tears. It was literally like the late Schreier showcasing his art in my living room within touching distance. So real and palpable. What more can I ask when a little piece of portable audio gear could bring such moving music to me in such a delicate yet powerful way? Don't hesitate to pair your best headphones and IEMs with the H1 as this would only bring the best out of the H1.

As always with one of the earliest units that came out of the retail batch, the H1 I received has some minor glitches or incompatibility issues. For me the most glaring issue is DSD playback at the moment. No matter what settings I tried to tweak, I couldn't get Audirvana to successfully output DSD signal to the H1. My Pixel phone running Android 11 and USB Audio Player Pro works using DSD-over-PCM (DoP) mode but not every time. Sometimes I would hear just white static sound but restarting either the phone or the H1 would then makes DSD work. Another issue is that it seems I need to plug in the headphone plug into either the 4.4mm or 3.5mm connector before turning the H1 on. It appears to be doing some kind of "scanning" the ports so whichever port that's plugged in will work properly. Anson told me the H1's firmware is upgradable using a Windows PC so I am quite confident that these minor issues will be resolved in the near future, perhaps even before most of you receive your retail units. Another minor gripe about the design from me: there are separate USB-C ports for data and charging the battery which means you cannot connect to a computer and charge it using the same cable while using it (you can plug in another cable to the charging port to charge it though). Anson told me he made his design choice for the sake of ound and I think I'll live with this if it means cleaner, better sound.

Overall, we have a winner here with the Dethonray Honey H1. Even without considering its surprisingly reasonable price point, the H1 is one of the most impressive portable DAC / Headphone amp out there today. Dethonray has hit another one out of the park and you won't be disappointed. For me it's always about forgetting spec wars and giving me the damn best sound, the H1 does that in spades.
Thanks for your extensive impressions. Very helpful! Cannot wait to get mine within the next days.

Oct 19, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #108 of 1,004

As always with one of the earliest units that came out of the retail batch, the H1 I received has some minor glitches or incompatibility issues. For me the most glaring issue is DSD playback at the moment. No matter what settings I tried to tweak, I couldn't get Audirvana to successfully output DSD signal to the H1. My Pixel phone running Android 11 and USB Audio Player Pro works using DSD-over-PCM (DoP) mode but not every time. Sometimes I would hear just white static sound but restarting either the phone or the H1 would then often make DSD work. Another issue is that it seems I need to plug in the headphone plug into either the 4.4mm or 3.5mm connector before turning the H1 on. It appears to be doing some kind of "scanning" the ports so whichever port that's plugged in will work properly when turned on. Anson told me the H1's firmware is upgradable using a Windows PC so I am quite confident that these minor issues will be resolved in the near future, perhaps even before most of you receive your retail units. Another minor gripe about the design from me: there are separate USB-C ports for data and charging the battery which means you cannot connect to a computer and charge it using the same cable while using it (you can plug in another cable to the charging port to charge it though). Anson told me he made his design choice for the sake of sound and I think I'll live with this if it means cleaner, better sound.

Overall, we have a winner here with the Dethonray Honey H1. Even without considering its surprisingly reasonable price point, the H1 is one of the most impressive portable DAC / Headphone amp out there today. Dethonray has hit another one out of the park and you won't be disappointed. For me it's always about forgetting spec wars and giving me the best damn sound, the H1 does that in spades.
My mouth is watering now hahaha,thanks for the review Peter.

Glad to hear it is upgradeable f/w.

Oct 19, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #109 of 1,004
My experience with desktop dac /amp is a mix, both topping dx7s and dx7 pro has plus and minus, i.e only the dac are good via the LO while the amp section is weak or vice versa.

@Lunatic reading ur impression seems that both section are equaly good. Cant wait to receive mine end of oct hopefully

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #110 of 1,004
O1CN01zg0lNL1bqNBy21Oes_!!0-rate.jpg_400x400.jpg
O1CN01MpyfeC1bqNC890eV7_!!0-rate.jpg_400x400.jpg
O1CN015DXwvO1bqNCIiDRaA_!!0-rate.jpg_400x400.jpg
O1CN01lzWt4K1bqNCN3F0W7_!!0-rate.jpg_400x400.jpg

I have listened h1 for 2 weeks. I think it is the smallest and cheapest device that can drive hd650 well.
4.4 is powerful.

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #112 of 1,004
My experience with desktop dac /amp is a mix, both topping dx7s and dx7 pro has plus and minus, i.e only the dac are good via the LO while the amp section is weak or vice versa.

@Lunatic reading ur impression seems that both section are equaly good. Cant wait to receive mine end of oct hopefully

I will have to test the Line-Out later as I don't have a good 3.5mm -> RCA cable for my desktop amp. From my experience with the DTR1 I have confidence in the LO quality of the H1.

Oct 20, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #114 of 1,004
Any word on hiss with sensitive IEMs?
I have two sensitive BA-only IEMs that will be tested upon receival of my unit. I will report impressions asap.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #116 of 1,004
Just ordered mine from Hifigo! I had a DTR1 that recently suffered a tragic and fatal accident. Everything I've read so far makes me think I will like this more. I am more than willing to drop coin on audio gear, but it's completely fine not to have to. The DTR absolutely went toe to toe with $2K players. Design over components, I guess?

Oct 26, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #117 of 1,004
So from some reliable sources due to a fire in the AK factory the supply of chips to DAP DAC makers all over the world is impacted. So there will be a shortage of Honey H1 all over the world the near term and there could also be a possibility of H1 with a different chip in the near future. Keeping my fingers crossed

Oct 26, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #118 of 1,004
So from some reliable sources due to a fire in the AK factory the supply of chips to DAP DAC makers all over the world is impacted. So there will be a shortage of Honey H1 all over the world the near term and there could also be a possibility of H1 with a different chip in the near future. Keeping my fingers crossed
Unfortunately it's true that we'll be hit with a shortage of AKM chips. The Honey H1 uses the AK4497 DAC chip and its production will likely to be impacted. I hope this situation gets resolved in the near future or we would indeed be looking at the possibility of a version of the H1 using a different DAC chip supplier...

Update: It appears that some people misunderstood the "we" in the above paragraph thinking I work for Dethonray. By saying "we" I was referring to us as the general consumers that potentially want to buy products using AKM chips. I don't speak for Dethonray and I only speculate based on my information from the supply chain in China.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #119 of 1,004
Unfortunately it's true that we'll be hit with a shortage of AKM chips. The Honey H1 uses the AK4497 DAC chip and its production will likely to be impacted. I hope this situation gets resolved in the near future or we would indeed be looking at the possibility of a version of the H1 using a different DAC chip supplier...
Bad news regarding the fire... I hope no one got injured. About the DAC-chip, what about Sabre or Burr-Brown? At the end, even if it represents some adjustments, we know that Anson will implement it right.

Best wishes during these trouble times.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back