Dethonray Honey H1 - USB DAC/AMP
May 18, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #736 of 1,004
Not a problem here with ipad pro. Only the volume control that can be tricky to get just right. I wish the great reviewers would mention these things. People need to do a better job investigating a product and not only tell the positives. Tomorrow I’ve got the fostex th900’s coming in. Easy to drive, very curious to what difference fiio q5s vs honey will be.
Working on a review at the moment and agree that the volume control is quite tricky. I am also stuck with the firmware because I use Mac and don't have bootcamp or such. I have been using the Empire Ears Wraith as really challenging IEMs because those require a lot of power to engage the e-stat drivers and yet are extremely sensitive. That gives barely any room to work with on high gain from balanced and if the volume jumps, it jumps a lot. I can make it work, but does seem to be at the limit of what is possible. Otherwise I am very impressed that the Honey H1 is so clean with such sensitive IEMs.

May 18, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #737 of 1,004
Working on a review at the moment and agree that the volume control is quite tricky. I am also stuck with the firmware because I use Mac and don't have bootcamp or such. I have been using the Empire Ears Wraith as really challenging IEMs because those require a lot of power to engage the e-stat drivers and yet are extremely sensitive. That gives barely any room to work with on high gain from balanced and if the volume jumps, it jumps a lot. I can make it work, but does seem to be at the limit of what is possible. Otherwise I am very impressed that the Honey H1 is so clean with such sensitive IEMs.
I usually decrease the volume of the source a bit (iPhone in my case) to work around the volume jump on high gain.

May 18, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #739 of 1,004
I usually decrease the volume of the source a bit (iPhone in my case) to work around the volume jump on high gain.
Yes, I do the same thing. With the Wraith though I have both set to pretty much the minimum volume because those are 4 Ohms and 117 dB/mW. So I have Qobuz's volume set to almost minimum on my MacBook Pro and the Honey H1 at the point where it just starts to produce volume. It is a bit of a balancing act. 😅

May 20, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #740 of 1,004
New H1 owner here and I love it. It sounds significantly better than my Qudelix and all previous solutions. The 64audio U12t can sound a little lean on cheaper equipment and exhibit some of the BA - timbre but with the H1 the sound is full, organic, natural. I have no complaints at all - soundwise it is kind of endgame. Only when I received the unit it did not work at all. I had to update the firmware of the USB receiver and the main firmware to get it to play. Still it would be nice to have something like the Honey with a bluetooth receiver built in for increased portability. Having the Smartphone tied to the H1 works well at home in bed but not so much on the go.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #742 of 1,004
I returned mine. Lovely sound, but at this price it's not acceptable to have so much user inconvenince in such a simple device IMO. It's 2021, not 2011 where chifi was understandably just figuring things out.

May 20, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #744 of 1,004
May 20, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #745 of 1,004
I'm a little confused with the firmware,
which one have smoothest volume ?
the Ultraman just improve the power right?
no sound different?
because sometimes more power reserve could improve sound quality,
I only use iems, some headphone like HD650 & HE4xx,

is there a sound different if I use a phone or PC/desktop ?

thank you, 🙏
I have tested the firmware Honey 0.1/1.0/3.0/3.6 and all the version with HD580/650. There isn't SQ difference between 3.5 and 4.4, 4.4 is more powerful than 3.5.
Utra-man version is more clear and aggressive than normal version, so the SQ is better with HD580 when listening Rock or classical album. There are volume jump issue when using normal version, especially some low impedance, high sensitivity IEM, like W60,UMPRO30, so I tested Sensitive IEM version firmware, it is smooth for my IEM and some earbuds. So I asked the version difference via email, Anson told me the version was just for different earphone. Normal version is too powerful to high sensitivity , so they redesigned the volume curve and make a special version for IEM. For me, Ultra-man is so good and I will not back to normal version when using HD580 and HD650.:)

May 21, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #746 of 1,004
New H1 owner here and I love it. It sounds significantly better than my Qudelix and all previous solutions. The 64audio U12t can sound a little lean on cheaper equipment and exhibit some of the BA - timbre but with the H1 the sound is full, organic, natural. I have no complaints at all - soundwise it is kind of endgame. Only when I received the unit it did not work at all. I had to update the firmware of the USB receiver and the main firmware to get it to play. Still it would be nice to have something like the Honey with a bluetooth receiver built in for increased portability. Having the Smartphone tied to the H1 works well at home in bed but not so much on the go.

I say we should all write to Dethonray and ask them to release a Bluetooth module (like the BL-05 BT that attaches to the Xduoo Xd05 plus).

I wrote them a week or so but no reply.... Wonder if they would do it if enough people ask.

We've spent a large enough amount of money on the H1 to not have to spend again on a whole new device

May 21, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #747 of 1,004
Have you tried the Q5s?
I returned my honey h1 because my Hyla Sarda sounded good on it, but not as great as on the Q5s, and it has all the features like optical and bluetooth.

May 21, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #748 of 1,004
Have you tried the Q5s?
I returned my honey h1 because my Hyla Sarda sounded good on it, but not as great as on the Q5s, and it has all the features like optical and bluetooth.
No, because the reviews were not as promising. What I like most about the H1 is that it sounds colorful and warm with natural timbre. Not sure if the Q5s does the same thing.

May 21, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #749 of 1,004
No, because the reviews were not as promising. What I like most about the H1 is that it sounds colorful and warm with natural timbre. Not sure if the Q5s does the same thing.
If you get the chance to compare both I’d be curious to hear your thoughts.
For me, the Q5s with my Sarda is constantly stopping what I’m doing to think what the ****, this music sounds insane! With the honey it was good as well but not what the ****, getting distracted all the time good. I have way better highs on the Q5s and better bass punch. I’m curious if people when comparing side by side agree with me or not.

May 21, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #750 of 1,004
I say we should all write to Dethonray and ask them to release a Bluetooth module (like the BL-05 BT that attaches to the Xduoo Xd05 plus).

I wrote them a week or so but no reply.... Wonder if they would do it if enough people ask.

We've spent a large enough amount of money on the H1 to not have to spend again on a whole new device
Wireless lossless, better quality than bluetooth,

Android Phone - Wireless DLNA - Flac/DSD - H1,
Tidal/Qobuz lossless is great too,

ofcourse it can also do a LDAC bluetooth,

Attachments

• P_20210509_130549.jpg
    P_20210509_130549.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back