Dethonray Honey H1 - USB DAC/AMP
May 10, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #723 of 1,004
I have some issues with my H1,

- popping sound when I plug the usb and when turn on/off,
- slight crackling sound when I turn the volume knob

is this normal ?
You mean you can hear a popping sound through your headphones when you turn the amp on and off? That’s normal. However, a crackling sound when turning the volume knob isn’t normal.

May 16, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #726 of 1,004
Is the volume super inaccurate for folks? Sometimes I turn and there's no change. Sometimes it changes a lot.
your firmware ?
version 3.6 sensitive iem have a nice volume control,

May 16, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #729 of 1,004
3.3. Do you mean that 3.3 and others have jerky volume, except 3.6? I want to make sure I don't have faulty hardware.

How much output power does the sensitive IEM firmware have?
"3.6 sensitive IEM" has the best volume control but less power than the standard 3.3, 3.6 and Ultraman firmwares.

I've settled on the standard 3.3 for now as it has the best balance of features and performance for my use.

But if Dethonray is reading, it would be good to get firmware that maximises the power output in both 3.5 and 4.4 ports AND has a smooth volume control. I love the sound of the H1 but to pay nearly £700 and have these issues is unacceptable in my book, especially when compared with other similarly priced or cheaper competing products on the market.

May 16, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #730 of 1,004
"3.6 sensitive IEM" has the best volume control but less power than the standard 3.3, 3.6 and Ultraman firmwares.

I've settled on the standard 3.3 for now as it has the best balance of features and performance for my use.

But if Dethonray is reading, it would be good to get firmware that maximises the power output in both 3.5 and 4.4 ports AND has a smooth volume control. I love the sound of the H1 but to pay nearly £700 and have these issues is unacceptable in my book, especially when compared with other similarly priced or cheaper competing products on the market.
It’s probably a limitation of the design, hence the multiple firmwares. I use Ultraman and it suits well.
The only competing product with similar performance I can think of is the iFi Micro iDSD Signature and they have channel imbalance issues with their volume pots. The iFi is a better buy in any case. They sound very similar but the iFi has less etchy highs and much more versatile power settings + switches to play with. Of course the H1 has much better portability going for it.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #731 of 1,004
I have 3,6 and it’s still jumpy , but manageable.
not really acceptable I think.
Sound wise it’s good. Although For my IEM hyla sarda, it really shines on the q5s. Little less on the honey. Thinking of returning the honey actually as I only have it for less than a week now. For 700€ , no bluetooth, sounds less good than the q5s (that’s one iem I’m talking about, not a whole range of headphones). And jumpy volume control. Hmmm.
Just doubting to keep it as it has more power than the q5s and will drive some harder to drive headphones better as I’m still in the market for a good pair of over ears.

May 18, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #735 of 1,004
Not a problem here with ipad pro. Only the volume control that can be tricky to get just right. I wish the great reviewers would mention these things. People need to do a better job investigating a product and not only tell the positives. Tomorrow I’ve got the fostex th900’s coming in. Easy to drive, very curious to what difference fiio q5s vs honey will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back