Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
Jul 9, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #2,266 of 2,316
A state-of-the-art DAP with an unmatched depth of soundstage.

DTR1+ is a true delight to listen to on a rainy day. Many try to judge the quality of an IEM system by comparing it to headphones or 2-channels systems. While there is nothing wrong with doing so, I strongly encourage my peers to discover the uniqueness of IEM systems. High-end IEM system thrives on the accuracy of sound positioning, often demonstrated by small, detailed and high-density sound imaging. To be able to feel musical notes bouncing in such orderly harmony within a clearly defined 3D space is such an unforgettable experience.

The competitive advantage of DTR 1+ is the depth of soundstage it offers. A common indicator of a high-quality IEM system is the wide soundstage it offers. The wide 2D area allows different musical instruments to separate and perform clearly at their own space. Building on top of that, the next level is a deep soundstage, which is extremely rare. A deep soundstage adds a third dimension to the complicated music reproduced through your IEM. If a wide sound stage is good, a deep sound stage multiplies it. More space means gentle instruments are less likely to be overwhelmed by powerful ones. The depth of the soundstage offered by DTR1+ is one of a kind. It trumps all flagship DAPs in this aspect, by all I mean literally all, I have tried them all and own a couple. While I still occasionally go to my Sony wm1zm2 for its sweet & warm tonality and rich emotion in vocal, and sometimes my Chord Qutest + Ifi ICAN Pro for the power and tube sound, I still found the greatest enjoyment in going back to my DTR1+ for a stereoscopic listening session. It’s like having a jazz bar all to yourself with the performer playing at a reasonably far distance singing towards you with immense details and clarity.

All good devices require good pairing to realize their full potential, just like red wine. My personal favorite is the Fitear Silver, or anything that has fine sound imaging and a reasonably deep sound stage, so as to accentuate the beauty of DTR1+. In any case, avoid pairing with IEM that requires monstrous power to drive. It is not a DAP for heavy bass lovers.

Well said on your review
I would encourage you to try out hum MA-1s amp to pair with DTR1+, its a great combo with the player.
There is a great improvement in terms of sound quality and u can ditch the 4.4-3.5 converter.
I can let you try it out if u are located in HK.
IMG20230709154354.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #2,267 of 2,316
A state-of-the-art DAP with an unmatched depth of soundstage.

DTR1+ is a true delight to listen to on a rainy day. Many try to judge the quality of an IEM system by comparing it to headphones or 2-channels systems. While there is nothing wrong with doing so, I strongly encourage my peers to discover the uniqueness of IEM systems. High-end IEM system thrives on the accuracy of sound positioning, often demonstrated by small, detailed and high-density sound imaging. To be able to feel musical notes bouncing in such orderly harmony within a clearly defined 3D space is such an unforgettable experience.

The competitive advantage of DTR 1+ is the depth of soundstage it offers. A common indicator of a high-quality IEM system is the wide soundstage it offers. The wide 2D area allows different musical instruments to separate and perform clearly at their own space. Building on top of that, the next level is a deep soundstage, which is extremely rare. A deep soundstage adds a third dimension to the complicated music reproduced through your IEM. If a wide sound stage is good, a deep sound stage multiplies it. More space means gentle instruments are less likely to be overwhelmed by powerful ones. The depth of the soundstage offered by DTR1+ is one of a kind. It trumps all flagship DAPs in this aspect, by all I mean literally all, I have tried them all and own a couple. While I still occasionally go to my Sony wm1zm2 for its sweet & warm tonality and rich emotion in vocal, and sometimes my Chord Qutest + Ifi ICAN Pro for the power and tube sound, I still found the greatest enjoyment in going back to my DTR1+ for a stereoscopic listening session. It’s like having a jazz bar all to yourself with the performer playing at a reasonably far distance singing towards you with immense details and clarity.

All good devices require good pairing to realize their full potential, just like red wine. My personal favorite is the Fitear Silver, or anything that has fine sound imaging and a reasonably deep sound stage, so as to accentuate the beauty of DTR1+. In any case, avoid pairing with IEM that requires monstrous power to drive. It is not a DAP for heavy bass lovers.

Screenshot 2023-07-09 134037.png
wonderful review!

vs Sony WM1ZM2 which one has bigger power?

Jul 9, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #2,268 of 2,316
Well said on your review
I would encourage you to try out hum MA-1s amp to pair with DTR1+, its a great combo with the player.
There is a great improvement in terms of sound quality and u can ditch the 4.4-3.5 converter.
IMG20230709154354.jpg
looks good amp! I turn my self to Astell & Kern PA10 since HUM is hard to find in Indonesia.
But hey, the hum MA-1s input is 3.5 ?

Jul 10, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #2,269 of 2,316
wonderful review!

vs Sony WM1ZM2 which one has bigger power?
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it.

From the listening perspective, I think the WM1ZM2 (Asia version) has bigger power with its 4.4 output but it's still rather weak compared to what the market has to offer now. However, the quality of WM1ZM2 bass and lower mids are very high. It gives you a very immersive, grand and lush sound which is unique; For the European version of Wm1ZM2, I remember the power is even weaker because of some environmental regulations.

Compared with the DTR1+, the WM1ZM2 has a much slower bass, which allows for the feeling of drum sound to ripple; while the DTR1+produces a speedy bass sound that allows a greater number of instruments to better distinguish from one another, especially when listening to crowded stuff like ACG.

Jul 10, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #2,270 of 2,316
Well said on your review
IMG20230709154354.jpg
I have owned DTR1 for four years and have used many DAPs in these years. So far, I still think DTR1 is the best! lol

Jul 10, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #2,271 of 2,316
A brief and accurate review!
The IEMs from Fitear are hard bones, and DTR1+ has sharp and powerful teeth. ^!^

Jul 17, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #2,272 of 2,316
I have owned DTR1 for four years and have used many DAPs in these years. So far, I still think DTR1 is the best! lol
same here.
i tired the DTR1+ alongside the DTR1 for an AB comparison
Despite the DTR1+ sounds more clean and refine, i still prefer the DTR1+ for its old analog feel similar to older player
which is rare in the modern day era imo.
BTW, the best feature of the DTR1 series is the reading speed, it read them 256GB worth of music files within seconds
whereas the sony Zx300 took around 2-4 mins to accomplish.

Aug 9, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #2,273 of 2,316
Does anyone have a reliable link to purchase the charger for the DTR1? I tried emailing anson/dethonray last mont, but never received a reply. I found the charger on their aliexpress store (Here - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004858868763.html), but have just had an auto refund from them due to a timeout.

Aug 10, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #2,274 of 2,316
Does anyone have a reliable link to purchase the charger for the DTR1? I tried emailing anson/dethonray last mont, but never received a reply. I found the charger on their aliexpress store (Here - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004858868763.html), but have just had an auto refund from them due to a timeout.
Are you sure that the address and post code is correct?
Anson usually provide quick respond, never miss a beat for my multiple request and order, this doesn't sound like what the dethonray is well known of.
Perhaps it's better to order directly from dethonray, skipping the AliExpress all together

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #2,275 of 2,316
Are you sure that the address and post code is correct?
Anson usually provide quick respond, never miss a beat for my multiple request and order, this doesn't sound like what the dethonray is well known of.
Perhaps it's better to order directly from dethonray, skipping the AliExpress all together
Replied via PM, thanks :)

Aug 13, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #2,277 of 2,316
Aug 22, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #2,278 of 2,316
My DTR1 has just developed some issues and there is no output sound. I tried changing IEM and Hard-Reset the device as well but no luck so far. Please help me troubleshoot further.

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #2,279 of 2,316
I've been chatting with some people in the DX320 thread and had some useful feedback, but thought I'd see if any of you guys had any thoughts.

I decided on the DTR1+ as a likely replacement for my Cowon J3 last year. I liked the description of the sound, and don't really use streaming, just FLACs, so it seemed to make sense. I never went through with it though. A year later my other half has just bought me an iBasso DX320. I've spent the last couple of weeks dithering over whether to send it back and get the Dethonray, or just keep it. Reasons for keeping it are that it also supposedly has amazing sound, its battery is slightly better than the Dethonray's, and I can use it over the holidays rather than wait for the new year. Plus easier to charge and swap files. A lesser factor is that the streaming and USB DAC functions might be desirable in future, though this is much more tenuous.

Reasons for switching are the smaller form factor (I like to take my player on walks), no worries about the OS becoming outdated and a security risk, and maybe the sound? but both sound like they sound fantastic from reviews.

Just wondering if any of you had also heard the DX320 and could compare them, and how you are getting on with your DTR1+. Sounds like they can develop issues going by a few posts in this thread, but most people also seem to love the sound.

FWIW, my main IEMs right now are Moondrop Aria and HiFiMan RE600s, though I'm looking to get some new ones soon.

Listen to a lot of prog rock, also other forms of rock, plus classical, jazz, blues and musical theatre.

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #2,280 of 2,316
I've been chatting with some people in the DX320 thread and had some useful feedback, but thought I'd see if any of you guys had any thoughts.

I decided on the DTR1+ as a likely replacement for my Cowon J3 last year. I liked the description of the sound, and don't really use streaming, just FLACs, so it seemed to make sense. I never went through with it though. A year later my other half has just bought me an iBasso DX320. I've spent the last couple of weeks dithering over whether to send it back and get the Dethonray, or just keep it. Reasons for keeping it are that it also supposedly has amazing sound, its battery is slightly better than the Dethonray's, and I can use it over the holidays rather than wait for the new year. Plus easier to charge and swap files. A lesser factor is that the streaming and USB DAC functions might be desirable in future, though this is much more tenuous.

Reasons for switching are the smaller form factor (I like to take my player on walks), no worries about the OS becoming outdated and a security risk, and maybe the sound? but both sound like they sound fantastic from reviews.

Just wondering if any of you had also heard the DX320 and could compare them, and how you are getting on with your DTR1+. Sounds like they can develop issues going by a few posts in this thread, but most people also seem to love the sound.

FWIW, my main IEMs right now are Moondrop Aria and HiFiMan RE600s, though I'm looking to get some new ones soon.

Listen to a lot of prog rock, also other forms of rock, plus classical, jazz, blues and musical theatre.
I am previous owner of the dx320 and still owner of the dtr1 Prelude not the plus version.

In terms of Sound, thats up to your ears but dx320 has a wider stage but I find both models to be dynamic as far overall presentation. Dtr1 + is strictly 3.5mm as opposed to the dx320

I'm aware that dtr1+ you can replace the battery by yourself as the dx320 maybe not so much

Dtr1+ is custom OS vs android
Dtr1+ can be damaged easily from a drop on hard floor vs dx320 depending on how it falls or how high

Both sound great and both are powerful

If you are about full presentation of song information dx320 is better with full display of artwork

Dx320 has better lighting to see screen in the daylight

Dtr1 definitely smaller in size and the sound is amazing for a single ended jack

If you roll with just local files and have no plans on moving over to stream until absolutely sold on it you can't go wrong with dtr1+

Dx320 has two batteries that need charging and can take a while to fully charge but not sure how much difference in dtr1 series

Users who are viewing this thread

Back