Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
May 4, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #1,261 of 2,323
Well had mine a few days now and very impressed with its technical ability, spacial queues, panning and transients are probably the best i have heard. I'm using andro s and there is slight hiss but hey its sensitive andro......i agree with twisters evaluation of this pairing but it still sound's very good , have ifi iematch arriving today can't wait to try it together.
Don't have too much criticism of the dethonray, its a very basic build player but solid, UI is again very basic but apart from my problems with 3.8 its very smooth on 3.2, no issues whatsoever.
Like it's size a lot! First truly pocketable player with this level of audio ,also love the little flip case its perfectly designed for its use.

What else would I like to see?
well maybe stage could be a tad wider, maybe EQ or some kind of sound adjustments ( thinking out loud here because i love the r6pro 8 ball dsp) maybe a bit more premium build.......maybe a pro version with all these little features and more besides! :gs1000smile:

Nothing wrong with the dtr1 though .

May 4, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #1,263 of 2,323
Thanks F700, I am not trying to make a big 'case', but I was hoping that other users might think similarly about this useful function. I can totally accept the 'simple' user interface, but this function is about music replay and enjoyment.

This is the first 'device' ever, that I have used permanently on full database 'shuffle'; the DTR1 decides what I listen to and I am really enjoying the 'unknown' and lack of control. But sometimes, I want to hear a beautiful, exciting track again, before the next 'shuffle'.

That's my 'musical' reason for the 1-click function :smile_phones:
Makes sense. I have folders and I don't mind taking time to find what I want to listen to...and yes, it would be good to have this 1-click fonction.

Personally, I don't think I will "upgrade" to fw 4.0 as 3.8 suits my needs (almost) perfectly.

May Anson hear our request :)

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #1,264 of 2,323
Makes sense. I have folders and I don't mind taking time to find what I want to listen to...and yes, it would be good to have this 1-click fonction.

Personally, I don't think I will "upgrade" to fw 4.0 as 3.8 suits my needs (almost) perfectly.

May Anson hear our request :)
wish you could make play list on the player , as far as im aware you can only add to favourites and that just ends up with loads of tracks in no piticular order. or can you and i dont just dont know how to do it?

May 4, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #1,265 of 2,323
wish you could make play list on the player , as far as im aware you can only add to favourites and that just ends up with loads of tracks in no piticular order. or can you and i dont just dont know how to do it?
Create folders on your SD-card, by genres, artists or albums, you will then will be able to see your folders and navigate through them. I have 5000 tracks perfectly organized.

In my case, I have created a folder with single tracks that I like named "_various songs", so that it comes on top. Within this folder, I have organized songs in an alphabetical order. Then, next folder is named "_mixes", with all the mixes (electronics and tech). Finally, one folder by artists -> albums -> songs. It takes times, yes, a lot of folders to create, but then you are done. I also have a SD-card backup in any case.

I hope it helps

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #1,266 of 2,323
Create folders on your SD-card, by genres, artists or albums, you will then will be able to see your folders and navigate through them. I have 5000 tracks perfectly organized.

In my case, I have created a folder with single tracks that I like named "_various songs", so that it comes on top. Within this folder, I have organized songs in an alphabetical order. Then, next folder is named "_mixes", with all the mixes (electronics and tech). Finally, one folder by artists -> albums -> songs. It takes times, yes, a lot of folders to create, but then you are done. I also have a SD-card backup in any case.

I hope it helps
yes thanks.

May 6, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #1,267 of 2,323
I guess Pono is too old, nobody hear has heard it to compare...

May 6, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #1,268 of 2,323
May 7, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #1,269 of 2,323
I had Pono, bought second hand for around 300 EUR. I still think it's the best DAP price/sound ratio. Sold it long time ago though. From memory I would say that Pono is lush sounding with liquid mids, DTR1 is more neutral sounding.

May 7, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #1,270 of 2,323
I have 2 Ponos, bought one when it was originally crowdfunded, then got a second when I thought the battery on the 1st might be going (it's still working OK, though both need recharging fairly often. Not sure if that's because I mostly use it balanced (which does drain the battery more quickly), or just the battery eventually going bad. The second I got as a discontinued model for $200. Just wondering if the DTR-1 is an upgrade or a side-grade. Likely I will just have to jump in (which is mostly what happens anyway). Thanks.

May 7, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #1,272 of 2,323
I have 2 Ponos, bought one when it was originally crowdfunded, then got a second when I thought the battery on the 1st might be going (it's still working OK, though both need recharging fairly often. Not sure if that's because I mostly use it balanced (which does drain the battery more quickly), or just the battery eventually going bad. The second I got as a discontinued model for $200. Just wondering if the DTR-1 is an upgrade or a side-grade. Likely I will just have to jump in (which is mostly what happens anyway). Thanks.
Do you still write reviews for THL? If I‘m not mistaken, they haven’t reviewed the DTR1 (and HA-2 amp) from Dethonray, so you could just ask Anson for a review unit! :wink:

May 7, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #1,273 of 2,323
Haven't been writing for them for quite a while now-I don't know how to get that heading off my heading, though.

May 7, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #1,274 of 2,323
I don’t know what you mean with „heading off my heading“ but it sounds great :wink:
Anyway, it doesn’t matter. Maybe you should just get the DTR1 hehehe.
(Though I should mention that I sold mine again because I found my Calyx M superior in sound quality.)

May 7, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #1,275 of 2,323
I don’t know what you mean with „heading off my heading“ but it sounds great :wink:
Anyway, it doesn’t matter. Maybe you should just get the DTR1 hehehe.
(Though I should mention that I sold mine again because I found my Calyx M superior in sound quality.)
Calyx M remains the king of DAP in my book also, by a very small margin though :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back