Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
Aug 28, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #661 of 2,316
I was not questioning your integrity. Getting free stuff for reviews is not a debate we want to start here. It is all about music at the end, doesn't it? I have the same way of life as yours, excepting the intense time you are spending for your extended reviews. That gives more time to enjoy music, I guess. Don't get me wrong, your reviews are very helpful and they are informative. Thanks for that, I enjoy reading them. With so many great gears around you, it's almost a shame you cannot spend more time with your music.

I dare asking again: what about the N6II vs. DTR1?

On a sound alone, using IE800S, volume matched, and compared from 3.5mm HO, DTR1 has a more expanded wider/taller soundstage, a little more revealing/transparent mids, and slightly less low end slam, while N6ii soundstage is narrower and more intimate, mid-bass slams a little harder, and mids have a little more body and more musical warmth. Also, I hear DTR1 sound being a little more layered, but that could also be an artifact of more transparency (less coloring in mids). Also, they both can drive demanding headphones, though you need to use 4.4mm BAL output in N6ii and I still think DTR1 might have a slight advantage when it comes to driving something like Empyrean or ATH-R70x. But to compare N6ii vs DTR1 is beyond apples to oranges since N6ii is open Android based dap with a fast performance/interface, Google Play, access to usb DAC, bi-dir BT, wifi, streaming, etc. Also, factor in N6ii pricing which is more than double of DTR1. As I mentioned in my review, if you are looking for bells'n'whistles, DTR1 is not it, but can make a damn good companion to your other jack-of-all-trades DAP, especially if you want some freedom from your desktop setup, or want to take your demanding cans outside.

Sep 1, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #663 of 2,316
Just finished a week with this DAP and
have done a lot of listening over last week
I compare to my other DAPs I still have on hand

Calyx M
Cowon plenue 1, M, M2, R
Astell&Kern Kann, ak240
Acoustic Research AR-M2, AR-M20, AR-M200
Ibasso dx80, dx150
Shanling m5, m5s

While I have had many newer DAPs come and go I still rate my Calyx m and AR-M2 and plenue M as my favourite
I think it sits between the calyx m and ar-m2 in terms of sound signature
I am definitely adding this DAP to this group
I have found my ie800 has great synergy
The line out to a burson soloist sounds very good - it really goes well with a valve headphone amp to ultrasone signature pro headphone
As a small powerful and fantastic sounding player it really compliments other players with more features
I sold a fiio m11 to get this player - no regrets - I joined the hype train for the m11 but for me personally it sounded clinical and not as good as other players in my collection.
Ideal player for those that use shuffle all for majority of listening.

Sep 1, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #664 of 2,316
Just finished a week with this DAP and
have done a lot of listening over last week
I compare to my other DAPs I still have on hand

Calyx M
Cowon plenue 1, M, M2, R
Astell&Kern Kann, ak240
Acoustic Research AR-M2, AR-M20, AR-M200
Ibasso dx80, dx150
Shanling m5, m5s

While I have had many newer DAPs come and go I still rate my Calyx m and AR-M2 and plenue M as my favourite
I think it sits between the calyx m and ar-m2 in terms of sound signature
I am definitely adding this DAP to this group
I have found my ie800 has great synergy
The line out to a burson soloist sounds very good - it really goes well with a valve headphone amp to ultrasone signature pro headphone
As a small powerful and fantastic sounding player it really compliments other players with more features
I sold a fiio m11 to get this player - no regrets - I joined the hype train for the m11 but for me personally it sounded clinical and not as good as other players in my collection.
Ideal player for those that use shuffle all for majority of listening.
Thanks for the comparison. The LO indeed is impressive, I share that impression, via portable (FiiO A5) or desktop (Violectric V280) amp.
Owning the Calyx myself, I think DTR1 extracts more details from the digital files, but the Calyx is able to add a little something into play, some extra "soul" to the music. The DTR1 is a real "tour de force": small device, clean and powerful power, impressive sound quality, decent playback time with one charge, intuitive yet simplistic IU. This is the portable audio device "par excellence" at USD 500.

PS: get the case for your DTR1 if not already ordered. It's a big confort added to the device.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #665 of 2,316
For the EDM and Electronic bass-based listeners, the DTR1 paired with Sony N3 and the JVC Spiral Dots will give you some "rave party" feeling. I highly recommend that combo for the Electronic music enthusiasts. Sound is energetic and the stage very wide. The DD from the N3 gives the fundament for the low end and the BA takes care of the details. The Spiral Dots tips open the stage a bit more compared my to-go Final type-E tips.

Tracks recommandations (old and new):
E-Sagilla - Glass Wing
Alva Noto - Xerrox 1, 2, 3
Thomas Schumacher - The Fortunates Ones
Donato Dozzy - Untitled 1 and 2
Mika Vaino - all his stuff
British Murder Boys - Fire In The Still Air
Cosmin Nicolae - his last album
Kas_st: - Hell On Earth / Lost Souls

Beware, this set-up might sound too bright with vocals, classic rock or classical.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #668 of 2,316
DTR1 + mdr ex1000 anyone? Thanks
I use the combination of ex800st and DTR1 quite often and am very pleased. The very dynamic DTR1 matches really well to the Sony.

Sep 5, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #673 of 2,316
Does the Dethonray have any sound sculpting features? Like an EQ or bass boost or anything like that? Just wondering, as I really like what the Cowon Plenue D2 can do. Anyone can compare these two players?
No, it dosn't. There are filter settings but the impact is very very subtle.

Sep 6, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #674 of 2,316
Well, I just ordered one of these. Will post a few impressions in a couple of weeks, although there's already plenty on this thread and head-fi reviews now. I have the Plenue M2 and D2 at the moment to compare to, and B&W P7, Momentum 2 and oBravo Cupid head/earphones.

I didn't particularly like the look of the official case available via Penon. But I searched around and found that the Fiio X3 2nd gen has almost the same dimensions:

Fiio X3II: 96.7 mm×57.7 mm×16.1 mm
DTR1: 100 x 56 x 16.4

So I ordered a refurbished Fiio X3II case from Dignis as well, available in a nice leather option. There's also Fiio leather cases available too. DTR1 is fractionally longer and skinnier but within 2-3mm, the thickness difference of 0.3mm hopefully shouldn't be too much. I figure I'll try the case and then if the DTR1 fits in, I'll make a few extra holes or adjustments for the headphone jack, volume/power/play buttons etc. Might need to change the size of the screen hole. Will post an update on how well that works - the X3II cases are pretty cheap and could be an option for other users if they're after something different too.

Sep 7, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #675 of 2,316
Dethonray DTR1 or QLS QA361? I have been looking for something more on the minimalistic side like these two and they both seem to be receiving rave reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back