Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
Jul 28, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #556 of 2,316
They do, and I'm glad they do as I like that feature. And there's only a small chance that you press/hit the volume buttons unintentionally because they are so slim.

Agreed. Ideally, when the lock function is on, by using the power button to turn the screen off for example, you can control only the volume buttons and only wake the screen and other buttons by clicking the power button again.

Honestly, I can deal with the rest of UI just fine, but adding this type of lock would make a great difference (for me).

Jul 28, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #557 of 2,316
Honestly, I can deal with the rest of UI just fine, but adding this type of lock would make a great difference (for me).

I may sound like a brainless fanboy but apart from the missing case and a few minor improvements I'd like to see (folder play, battery life indicator in %, button lock)there's absolutely nothing I don't like about the D'ray. It's a simple but sexy little device with a fast and stable UI, good battery life, outstanding support and a beyond doubt SQ (to my ears).
I'm quite sure button lock is already on the to-do list. If you want to play it safe, just write him a message. He'll probably reply within the next few hours.

Jul 29, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #561 of 2,316
I have not tried but I know one person who purchased DTR1 after trying it with his Andromeda. What I can recall that , no noise floor .

Would it trouble you to ask him about the tuning of Andros on it?

The stated output impedance of 0.2 Ω seems a bit low for the Andromedas, which to me would mean the Andros are likely bass-heavy. slightly boated, and have reduced dynamics.

I love the Andros but gotta say pairing them can be a pain. I really want the dethonray but those are my main IEMs, and I might get lotoo paw gold or something instead if the pairing is subpar.

Jul 29, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #562 of 2,316

The stated output impedance of 0.2 Ω seems a bit low for the Andromedas, which to me would mean the Andros are likely bass-heavy. slightly boated, and have reduced dynamics.

I love the Andros but gotta say pairing them can be a pain. I really want the dethonray but those are my main IEMs, and I might get lotoo paw gold or something instead if the pairing is subpar.
Yes but you have to wait because his DTR1 still in customs.

Jul 29, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #563 of 2,316

Learn something new today! I never knew that having too Low an output impedance would cause sound changes in an IEM. Always heard that high OI was bad; specificaly when 8 times the OI of the Player is more than earphone/headphone impedance. Is there a similar "rule of thumb" for low OI ?

Jul 29, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #564 of 2,316
No such rule for low OI. People have a preference for 2 ohms OI with Andromeda specifically because it rolls off the bass a bit, pushes the upper mids, and brings the tonality into a tuning they prefer.

Andromeda was designed to have lots of energy at the bottom as well as top octaves, yet people fight that tide to achieve their desired sound. And I don't blame them.

Generally, near zero OI is the goal with very low impedance earphones.

Jul 29, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #565 of 2,316
Learn something new today! I never knew that having too Low an output impedance would cause sound changes in an IEM. Always heard that high OI was bad; specificaly when 8 times the OI of the Player is more than earphone/headphone impedance. Is there a similar "rule of thumb" for low OI ?

It depends on the IEM itself in terms of how the tuning is impacted by different impedance - the Andro is known to be very sensitive to this. Also, it was supposedly tuned with a Sony ZX2 at 2Ω.

From my partial understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, for certain IEMS, different frequency ranges react differently to output impedance loads and this leads to changes in the overall frequency response of the iem.

Jul 29, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #567 of 2,316
No such rule for low OI. People have a preference for 2 ohms OI with Andromeda specifically because it rolls off the bass a bit, pushes the upper mids, and brings the tonality into a tuning they prefer.

Andromeda was designed to have lots of energy at the bottom as well as top octaves, yet people fight that tide to achieve their desired sound. And I don't blame them.

Generally, near zero OI is the goal with very low impedance earphones.

Thanks, I get it now. You are looking to color the sound of the Andromedas with a high(for them) output impedance ! So, you already know that the DTR1 won't give you the OI you want?

I just assumed that IEM Mfrs used a low impedance when tuning their iems. Never knew the Andros were tuned using a 2.0 OI... Wonder what mfrs really use when tuning their iems...

Anyway, personally prefer the low OI of the DTR1.

Jul 29, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #568 of 2,316

Considered getting an IEmatch? Works a treat w/ my MD+ which have similar behavior. For a long term solution you could probably also have a cable made with some resistors in the y-split to add a couple ohms. Linum make some resistive cables (i.e. the non-Super BAX is 1.5 ohm IIRC) which have added benifit of being very comfortable and light.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #569 of 2,316
Considered getting an IEmatch? Works a treat w/ my MD+ which have similar behavior. For a long term solution you could probably also have a cable made with some resistors in the y-split to add a couple ohms. Linum make some resistive cables (i.e. the non-Super BAX is 1.5 ohm IIRC) which have added benifit of being very comfortable and light.

Both good ideas. The cable might be a great option, thanks!

Jul 29, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #570 of 2,316
this Dethonray Dtr1 or Fiio M11,.... any comparisons?
I had the M11 and now have the DTR1, from memory the DTR1 is more dinamic and the bass is stronger, the power of Dtr1 is awsome no way 1.7 vrms, the m11 is good but can not reach the DTR1, soundwise of course, the advantage of the m11 is the UI and Android options

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back