Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
Apr 11, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #1,201 of 2,313
Very thanks for checked. But not working correctly, because next track is not next track in folder, only played random track.

Maybe this is problem firmware, I have 3.20?
Maybe yes, update the fw, version 3.8

Apr 11, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #1,202 of 2,313
As a proud owner of the DTR1, I'm glad the Prelude was a boost to Anson's next endeavors. With that said, I'm assuming that the HA2 amp is also being discontinued at this point, since the purchasing locations are out of stock/very limited stock. I am very excited for the next step with Dethonray.

I do wonder though, will there always be support for these two products? 3-5 years from now, will I be able to change the batteries out when they go bad? While Anson aimed to show the world his signature with the DTR1, will there ever be a point of expanding on his dream with custom firmware like rockbox or the likes? I have looked into the firmware and noticed that mplayer is used as the main sound control, which depending on certain builds, does house a simple EQ which can be added via command line. Something like uploading a .EQ file that represents that, the GUI detects it just like the music, and allows you to select it would be a elegant but bare-bones solution for people wanting EQ. I also feel that people will want to continue tweaking the function of the GUI in terms of usage, looks, and so on so forth. Will there be an opportunity in the future for us software guys to utilize this beautiful hardware platform, or will this DAP disappear into the void like so many others?

Even Sony shows that the separation of battery between digital and analog is an advantage in their TOTL systems of today (think DMP-Z1) and as a trade off the usage of a micro HDMI for charging was needed. I understand the nuances behind this hardware, but what about extracting that last 1% via software? I feel that Anson is a hardware guy and maybe a community driven software platform might really bring this DAP into the greatest of all time. What's everyone's opinion on this?

Apr 11, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #1,203 of 2,313
As a proud owner of the DTR1, I'm glad the Prelude was a boost to Anson's next endeavors. With that said, I'm assuming that the HA2 amp is also being discontinued at this point, since the purchasing locations are out of stock/very limited stock. I am very excited for the next step with Dethonray.

I do wonder though, will there always be support for these two products? 3-5 years from now, will I be able to change the batteries out when they go bad? While Anson aimed to show the world his signature with the DTR1, will there ever be a point of expanding on his dream with custom firmware like rockbox or the likes? I have looked into the firmware and noticed that mplayer is used as the main sound control, which depending on certain builds, does house a simple EQ which can be added via command line. Something like uploading a .EQ file that represents that, the GUI detects it just like the music, and allows you to select it would be a elegant but bare-bones solution for people wanting EQ. I also feel that people will want to continue tweaking the function of the GUI in terms of usage, looks, and so on so forth. Will there be an opportunity in the future for us software guys to utilize this beautiful hardware platform, or will this DAP disappear into the void like so many others?

Even Sony shows that the separation of battery between digital and analog is an advantage in their TOTL systems of today (think DMP-Z1) and as a trade off the usage of a micro HDMI for charging was needed. I understand the nuances behind this hardware, but what about extracting that last 1% via software? I feel that Anson is a hardware guy and maybe a community driven software platform might really bring this DAP into the greatest of all time. What's everyone's opinion on this?
Good questions, which cannot be entirely answered now, or only from Anson himself. The HA-2 is not discontinued and still available, from Penon Audio for example. The HA-2 came on the market at the end of last year, I doubt it will be discontinued soon. Anson is working on something else now, and the next DAP is work in progress. Who knows if and when it will come out.

Regarding EQ, well, if it is as easy to implement as you are saying, then try your luck with Anson directly. Current owners might want to get an EQ, I am not. The DTR1 sounds perfect as tuned by Anson. But raising the point is a good thing.

My personal take one the DTR1, and it's no offense to you and your desire to improve an amazing device as the topics you are bringing on the table are legit, is that Anson wanted to create a very portable, powerful and TOTL sounding device based on his past professional experience. It would be dishonest to say that he failed in that enterprise, and I know you are not saying such a thing. The DTR1, even without EQ, outclasses other DAPs with EQs. You can EQ as much as want, what's not there cannot be created, even with EQ. I am not EQ averse, my 2 formers DAPs (Cowon Plenue M2 and Sony ZX300) had EQ and I used it. Special mention to the Cowon and the JetEffect7 in that regard, it was a lot of fun to use it, and with great results. Still, the DTR1 and my other DAP, the Calyx M, sounds way better than the aforementioned Cowon and Sony, with no EQ.

For the rest, keep us posted if you get feedback from Anson regarding your questions. He is a very nice individual, don't hesitate to contact him.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #1,204 of 2,313
Good questions, which cannot be entirely answered now, or only from Anson himself. The HA-2 is not discontinued and still available, from Penon Audio for example. The HA-2 came on the market at the end of last year, I doubt it will be discontinued soon. Anson is working on something else now, and the next DAP is work in progress. Who knows if and when it will come out.

Regarding EQ, well, if it is as easy to implement as you are saying, then try your luck with Anson directly. Current owners might want to get an EQ, I am not. The DTR1 sounds perfect as tuned by Anson. But raising the point is a good thing.

My personal take one the DTR1, and it's no offense to you and your desire to improve an amazing device as the topics you are bringing on the table are legit, is that Anson wanted to create a very portable, powerful and TOTL sounding device based on his past professional experience. It would be dishonest to say that he failed in that enterprise, and I know you are not saying such a thing. The DTR1, even without EQ, outclasses other DAPs with EQs. You can EQ as much as want, what's not there cannot be created, even with EQ. I am not EQ averse, my 2 formers DAPs (Cowon Plenue M2 and Sony ZX300) had EQ and I used it. Special mention to the Cowon and the JetEffect7 in that regard, it was a lot of fun to use it, and with great results. Still, the DTR1 and my other DAP, the Calyx M, sounds way better than the aforementioned Cowon and Sony, with no EQ.

For the rest, keep us posted if you get feedback from Anson regarding your questions. He is a very nice individual, don't hesitate to contact him.

Oh, I understand. I don't plan to use the EQ either, but with some simple investigation into the firmware showed it as a possibility, and even in this thread, there was a lot of rejection towards the DTR1 for not having EQ. It all comes back to no more firmware updates at this point. I fully agree with everything you said, but I still worry about support/longevity of this device, which I hope to keep in my collection for a long time. Plus, my questioning might push the DTR1 base into developing some modding for this device like the many Sony FW mods out there that can improve the various aspects, even if firmware mods included functional keypress adjustments or themes.

Apr 12, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #1,205 of 2,313
Oh, I understand. I don't plan to use the EQ either, but with some simple investigation into the firmware showed it as a possibility, and even in this thread, there was a lot of rejection towards the DTR1 for not having EQ. It all comes back to no more firmware updates at this point. I fully agree with everything you said, but I still worry about support/longevity of this device, which I hope to keep in my collection for a long time. Plus, my questioning might push the DTR1 base into developing some modding for this device like the many Sony FW mods out there that can improve the various aspects, even if firmware mods included functional keypress adjustments or themes.
Nice to see that you care about that device. It deserves it. Happy listening

Apr 28, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #1,208 of 2,313
Seriously considering getting this. Have been using a few DAP's, Pioneer XDP-300r, iBasso DX90 (which both died on me over the past few months),and I have 2 Pono's that have been serving me well since. I like my Pono, but this does sound very enticing. Am trying to hold off on big spending (Sony, A&K, etc), and this sounds like it could work for me. The Pioneer had WiFi, Bluetooth, etc, but to conserve battery, I mostly had them shut off. (have an LG V40, does fine for most streaming and bluetooth needs). Mostly in ear listening (acs Emotion right now, though The they give me trouble, Westone W60, AKG300i, Campfire Polaris, mostly not too crazy. Also have over ears, multiple, mainly using Hifiman HEK v2.
The amp is already discontinued? Not sure if I'd need it, but makes me concerned (the same concerns about longevity of the company, as noted above). I do have a birthday coming up (but no salary for now...will be back working soon, though).

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #1,209 of 2,313
Seriously considering getting this. Have been using a few DAP's, Pioneer XDP-300r, iBasso DX90 (which both died on me over the past few months),and I have 2 Pono's that have been serving me well since. I like my Pono, but this does sound very enticing. Am trying to hold off on big spending (Sony, A&K, etc), and this sounds like it could work for me. The Pioneer had WiFi, Bluetooth, etc, but to conserve battery, I mostly had them shut off. (have an LG V40, does fine for most streaming and bluetooth needs). Mostly in ear listening (acs Emotion right now, though The they give me trouble, Westone W60, AKG300i, Campfire Polaris, mostly not too crazy. Also have over ears, multiple, mainly using Hifiman HEK v2.
The amp is already discontinued? Not sure if I'd need it, but makes me concerned (the same concerns about longevity of the company, as noted above). I do have a birthday coming up (but no salary for now...will be back working soon, though).
I don’t know who spread the fake news that the amp is discontinued. The HA-2 is available here: https://penonaudio.com

Apr 29, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #1,210 of 2,313
I don’t know who spread the fake news that the amp is discontinued. The HA-2 is available here: https://penonaudio.com
Someone assumed that the HA-2 was discontinued earlier in the thread. This statement was corrected right away by myself and it's nice you have made the same thing now :)

Anson is not discontinuing any of his products for the moment.

Apr 29, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #1,211 of 2,313
Good to hear, sorry if I misread the comments and perpetuated any misconceptions (I have to avoid the term "fake news", gets under my skin, if you know what I mean...)
Still a bit nervous... wish I could hear it, though that would be difficult even in the best of times (Amazon is good about returns, though I have never been one to use it, except for legitimate damages goods, not to audition stuff).

Apr 29, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #1,212 of 2,313
This confusion is understandable (to me, at least), I just went to the Dethonray web site, the amp is not listed in Products (that penonaudio still has some doesn't guarantee they are still current, But I believe you all when you say it is).

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #1,213 of 2,313
(and, it begs the question, do you need the amp. Of course, the word "need" is itself difficult to assess in the world scheme of things, but in the "audiophile" scheme of things.... Likely, for iem's not, but for planar, possibly/likely...)

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #1,214 of 2,313
This confusion is understandable (to me, at least), I just went to the Dethonray web site, the amp is not listed in Products (that penonaudio still has some doesn't guarantee they are still current, But I believe you all when you say it is).
I too am wondering why he doesn't list the amp on his website. Maybe he doesn't have time for such a negligibility :wink:
(and, it begs the question, do you need the amp. Of course, the word "need" is itself difficult to assess in the world scheme of things, but in the "audiophile" scheme of things.... Likely, for iem's not, but for planar, possibly/likely...)
I don't use the amp with the DTR1 (maybe @F700 can chime in), but I do use it with my Calyx M (for the Stellia). Now, the Stellia wouldn't "need" the additional amplification at all, as it isn't even a planar, BUT it benefits from the additional juice nonetheless! Maybe the same goes for IEMs, I can't confirm that. But my feelings would tell you: Get the amp. It´s a really great product. I had the VorzAMP Duo II in my possession that cost nearly 4 times, and IMO it was inferior. Do I have to say anymore? :wink:

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #1,215 of 2,313
Do I have to say anymore? :wink:
No, you have told everything. The DTR1 doesn't really need the HA-2. Still, I would take it if you have full size headphones. It is not a lot of money and it makes a noticeable difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back