Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
May 21, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #226 of 2,313
I would say in 3.5mm, the clarity is better than SPKM.

I think the most logical direct competition with the DTR1 is the QA361. From my memory, the clarity may be similar on both but the sound of QA361 was a little bit dry which I do not like at all.

Thanks for the reply. From what you and other people have said, it sounds as if, from a purely sq perspective, this competes with top tier daps.

May 21, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #227 of 2,313
I would say in 3.5mm, the clarity is better than SPKM.

I think the most logical direct competition with the DTR1 is the QA361. From my memory, the clarity may be similar on both but the sound of QA361 was a little bit dry which I do not like at all.

What if DTR1's 3.5mm to SPKM's 2.5mm balanced? I'm curious how DTR1 would actually fare against summit-fi portable DAPs.

May 21, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #228 of 2,313
If you compare micro detail & clarity, i think they are on the same level.

At the end, It all depends on your taste. I think SPK is on a warmer side and the functionality between them is incomparable.

May 21, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #230 of 2,313
Does the player have a proprietary USB, or you can charge the player with any cable?

May 21, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #231 of 2,313
Does the player have a proprietary USB, or you can charge the player with any cable?

Power is supplied by a "wall wart" that uses a mini-HDMI connector. It outputs 2 separate power supplies, to charge two separate internal batteries. 1 Charge circuit is 8.5vdc 800 ma, the other is 8.5vdc @ 300ma.
Included is a USB cable to mini-hdmi; BUT that cable is ONLY for DATA transfer of files to/from the DTR1.

So, without that specific power supply, you will have no way to power the DTR1. (For me this is an issue, solveable short-term, IF they can sell a spare charger. Longer term, would like to see IF a USB-C PD charging system could be designed. I would even be OK with combined charging system for the 2 batteries, knowing that best sound will come when running on batteries alone, and not connected to a "future" USB-C charger.)

Really like this design, just don't like the custom charging and data connection.

May 21, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #232 of 2,313
Power is supplied by a "wall wart" that uses a mini-HDMI connector. It outputs 2 separate power supplies, to charge two separate internal batteries. 1 Charge circuit is 8.5vdc 800 ma, the other is 8.5vdc @ 300ma.
Included is a USB cable to mini-hdmi; BUT that cable is ONLY for DATA transfer of files to/from the DTR1.

So, without that specific power supply, you will have no way to power the DTR1. (For me this is an issue, solveable short-term, IF they can sell a spare charger. Longer term, would like to see IF a USB-C PD charging system could be designed. I would even be OK with combined charging system for the 2 batteries, knowing that best sound will come when running on batteries alone, and not connected to a "future" USB-C charger.)

Really like this design, just don't like the custom charging and data connection.
This could be a deal breaker for someone. Hope they will use USB C port in their next generation product

May 21, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #233 of 2,313
Thank you for your answer. I am interested in the player but I live in US and I don't know if they have a character that works here, plus to have another charger just for this player is not convenient, because if you lose the charger you can't charge the player anymore

May 22, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #239 of 2,313
Hello to all happy users of this interesting device!
Have a question for you: is dtr1 taking exfat formated microsd cards only or fat32 are also good to go?
Firmware update can only be done with Fat32 format. Exfat works for music files, but not for fw-update. Anson, CEO from Dethonray, confirmed that to me by latest fw-update.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back