Determining the greatest headphone of all time, with poll
May 2, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some, my included poll may be a little strange because I group completely unrelated headphones together. When you vote, please write a post below specifying which headphone of the grouping is your favorite. A few months from now, if this thread sustains, I will put together a chart, and we can determine a list of head-fi's top 10 favorite headphones.

Your posting was smart. Very non linear, & can lead to some great debates..
I'm sure the Yammy 1000 Ortho deserve a mention as well..

May 2, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #17 of 44
Oh lawd have mercy on the thread!

May 2, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #18 of 44
I've owned or listened to almost all of these. At the end, it's mostly personal preference.

I voted for the AKG K-1000. It was an innovative design, sounds like nothing else, and is mercifully devoid of bling. If only manufacturers went after innovation rather than serving up bling and silliness. Reading the boards, you'd think that lots of wood and metal with tweako cables an inch in diameter are all you need for a quality headphone.

Props to Sennheiser for the largely unappreciated research and development put into the HD-800. It is very much appreciated in these quarters. That the HD-800 doesn't drip with audiophile jewelry is a "detriment" to some, but the thing sounds fantastic. I didn't vote for it because the K-1000 pushed the envelope farther, and nearly 20 years ago.

Sigh.

And then to think AKG followed the K-1000 with a dog like the K-701....

May 2, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #19 of 44
Threads like this are horrendous. Anyway voted for the K1000, that is the best headphone I have heard to date (I have owned or heard most of the headphones except for the: HE90, but I really do prefer a car for that kind of money).

(ow and I fully agree with Uncle Erik's post above).

May 3, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #21 of 44
I was skeptical, but I just took delivery on these bad boys:

coloud-hello-kitty-headphones-pink-label-11347996.jpeg

The HK-966tsi/LE ... It sends the likes of the HD800, T1, and PS1000 scurrying to hide under their mommies skirt to cower as they wet their pants. Mine came modded with the larger "Paw-Pads" as the only thing the stock pads are good for is as a hemorrhoid cushion for hamsters.

May 3, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on the music genre and the person in question.

"Best" is subjective, since everyone finds different things differently.

You know, before I got the HK-966tsi/LE I might have made the exact same point, not to mention the amp and front end you actually pair the cans with. But the HK's defy all of that "subjective" nonsense and cut right to the heart of the music. Short of these babies, I'd completely agree with you.

May 3, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #26 of 44
Not trying to be rude, but is there a point to this thread? Have we not done this ten thousand times already, in one form or another?
confused_face_2.gif

May 3, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HK-966tsi/LE ... It sends the likes of the HD800, T1, and PS1000 scurrying to hide under their mommies skirt to cower as they wet their pants. Mine came modded with the larger "Paw-Pads" as the only thing the stock pads are good for is as a hemorrhoid cushion for hamsters.

paw-pads. heh. paw pads.
*dries tears*
thank you. i cried from laughing so much.

May 3, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #30 of 44
My vote goes towards the Stax SR-007 headphone. It really it wonderfully balanced with great micro detail, soundstage, bass, everything! And this this just from me listening to them on an SR-717, not even a BHSE yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back