Detail and resolution without treble emphasis
Sep 9, 2009 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ear8dmg

500+ Head-Fier
I've noticed that a lot of detailed headphones I've tried also have quite a treble emphasis that makes them sound slightly unrealistic. It's a 'crispness' or 'sparkle' that you just don't get in live acoustic music. I wouldn't say it's alway manifested as sibilence but that can be a potential consequence.

It's been a while since I heard them but I don't remember it being present on the HD600s or HD580s.

So - which headphones in all price ranges are good with detail, without sacrificing realism by becoming too hot at the treble end?

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 19
I thought that the DT150's by Beyerdynamic had excellent detail with a very warm overall sound signature. I've heard the 580's once and loved them. I won't compare based on memory, but the DT150's had great detail retrieval.

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 19
x2 on the HD650,and maybe the HD600 also but i didn't listen to it.
as for the HD650,I have them for about 2 monthes and I can definitely say that you can hear every little pipss in the recording with a nice little roll off in the treble.
although for me the treble is just right...not rolled off in any way.

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on the HD650,and maybe the HD600 also but i didn't listen to it.
as for the HD650,I have them for about 2 monthes and I can definitely say that you can hear every little pipss in the recording with a nice little roll off in the treble.
although for me the treble is just right...not rolled off in any way.

Wha?

Split personality, eh? There's medication for that.

EDIT: To actually add something constructive, I would recommend the HD600 with a silver cable. Plenty of detail and resolution, but without the bite of some of the other options around.

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To actually add something constructive, I would recommend the HD600 with a silver cable. Plenty of detail and resolution, but without the bite of some of the other options around.

Yep, that's what I had and it has detail and good treble. Another solution would be to find an akg k501 (or k500 if you can find one). It's an incredibly balanced headphone.

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Wha?

Split personality, eh? There's medication for that.

EDIT: To actually add something constructive, I would recommend the HD600 with a silver cable. Plenty of detail and resolution, but without the bite of some of the other options around.

Maybe I didn't put it right...but what I meant is that they have less treble action than in other cans (this is a well known fact with the senns...) but that is just the right amount for me. is this more clear now?

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 19
I further add to the HD600/650 suggestions. The highs are certainly not missing on my 650s, but are much, much tamer compared to my 325is. Also, they have detail, which I think is the whole point of this exercise.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that the DT150's by Beyerdynamic had excellent detail with a very warm overall sound signature. I've heard the 580's once and loved them. I won't compare based on memory, but the DT150's had great detail retrieval.

It's funny that I should see this so soon, since I bought yours hoping for more or less exactly what the OP is describing(Oh, and it's also nice that they're closed). Can't wait to hear them.
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've noticed that a lot of detailed headphones I've tried also have quite a treble emphasis that makes them sound slightly unrealistic. It's a 'crispness' or 'sparkle' that you just don't get in live acoustic music. I wouldn't say it's alway manifested as sibilence but that can be a potential consequence.

It's been a while since I heard them but I don't remember it being present on the HD600s or HD580s.

So - which headphones in all price ranges are good with detail, without sacrificing realism by becoming too hot at the treble end?

The best I heard are the DT48... They lack brightness, & are lite on treble, maybe even muted treble, but are the most detailed & resolving headphones I ever owned.

Sep 9, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

...I would recommend the HD600 with a silver cable. Plenty of detail and resolution, but without the bite of some of the other options around.

It helps, but resolution still isn't on the level of the HD 650 (the less so with attached Zu Mobius or the like).

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #14 of 19
JaZZ, I find the HD600 to have more detail than HD650. I find that the HD650 has less treble and more bass which kills some of the details. This is however my opinion.

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #15 of 19
I find the DX1000 more detailed than the HD600 (and HD650 from remembrance) because of its excellent seperation, soundstage and balanced, controlled bass and they're not hot on the treble (altho maybe a bit more extended/balanced than the HD600).

The seperation and soundstage might be a negative thing tho on some records and some (many?) find the DX1000 too much on the bass heavy side.

Wouldn't be surprised if a headphone like the DT48 would be even more detailed, looking at its praise here on head-fi and its dead flat freq graphs
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back