Desktop Portable, but what source?
Aug 1, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #16 of 38
The Samsung Q1B in stock & on sale again at ClubIT.

(*I've never purchased from them, so I can't vouch for their service)

Aug 2, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People keep mentioning the Micro DAC. This unit has the DAC built in with USB, coaxial and optical inputs. The issue is what digital source to feed its DAC.

I know that they are only available as used units but my H140 would still do the trick - even if it would be dwarfed by this amp. bbrand makes a good point. Battery life is an important issue.

Thought the DAC was optional. 'course it seems silly not to get it without that nice option.

Aug 3, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #20 of 38
Well I could no longer resist so I pulled the trigger about 3 minutes ago
eek.gif

Anyway, to keep it on topic I will be using it primarily with a new Asus tablet PC (R1F) running Vista Ultimate. A nice little tablet as it has SPDIF out and the optical drive is removable and can also take an additional HD (with FLAC encoded music) or an extra battery for extended play time. I'll also probably hook up my iHP-140.

Aug 3, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I could no longer resist so I pulled the trigger about 3 minutes ago
eek.gif

Sorry about your wallet, man. Would you do me a favor and PM me or post here about your impressions and how the gear works together. I'm worried about draining the batteries of the host devive. It seems that might be a problem. We actually do stuff to prevent this as much as possible, but still, we do draw some power into the 2902 chip. Anyway, lemme know how it works for you, ok?

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry about your wallet, man. Would you do me a favor and PM me or post here about your impressions and how the gear works together. I'm worried about draining the batteries of the host devive. It seems that might be a problem. We actually do stuff to prevent this as much as possible, but still, we do draw some power into the 2902 chip. Anyway, lemme know how it works for you, ok?

No problem. It's the least I can do seeing as how you have solved my transportable problem
icon10.gif

P.S. I actually consider the desktop portable a little of a bargain and besides my wallet has suffered some "larger insults" lately
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #24 of 38
what if it could play other formats, like DVD-A and SACD with a digital connection to the Desktop Portable's DAC(can this be done? I was thinking there were some players that could be hooked up to their own DAC). plus DVD for movies to be used with the Dolby Headphone feature on the future revised Desktop Amp.

or would just CD and DVD be best? or just CD? and something?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...highlight=pcdp

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tungsten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
04-28-2006, Welcome to the club...

Great question. I asked this question too a while back. I came to my own conclusions… namely, that the player I want is no longer being manufactured today. And it probably never will be again. Sad but true, and I got over it in time, with much therapy and grief counseling
wink.gif

I too just wanted to buy a brand new PCDP unit, a top model, and then really look after it and make it last 10 years. To listen to CD’s with the line out, or Digital Optical line out connected to some really good DAC/AMP combo etc.,. In fact, I would buy multiple redundant units of the same model if I could find such a mythical PCDP that I actually liked…

Excuse me while I hijack this threat as a vehicle to air my grievances of PCDP's and offer up a wish so that the Gods may hear what it is we truly desire...

Oh HeadRoom, we beseech you, we petition you, to answer our prayers, to produce a CD Transport in the vein of the Desktop Line of products! Create a beautiful solid black aluminum CD player with Digital Optical and Coax outputs only! With no shock protection and no fancy useless features.

Only the 7 sacred buttons are needed!
  1. Stop
  1. Play
  1. Pause
  1. Forward
  1. Back
  1. Repeat
  1. Mode

We can only hope.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tungsten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
04-29-2006, You can tell a quality Discman just by looking at it... honestly.

Yes, you're right but I was imploring HeadRoom to create such a CD Transport. That makes it different. If anyone could do it, they could.
eggosmile.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Is their an estimated (revised?) eta on this fine piece of equipment? Thanks.

It's not shipping yet?

Aug 25, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Hello ... Have these started shipping yet? If not what is the new ETA? Inquiring minds want to know.

I'll check into it Monday and let you know.

Aug 27, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #30 of 38
Dear Tyll,
I have already ordered several of your amplifiers all the way to Australia. I have been so content with the venerable Desktop Portable (with DAC) thus far that I have even brought it to Spain where I am working for 6 months.

I have tried a variety of sources including analog, and USB (with a small Fujitsu Lifebook UMPC). The most convenient though has been my old Iriver IHP140 but alas the battery is dying. Looking for a replacement with optical out, I found an Edirol R-09 very cheap in Japan. Although designed primarily as a recorder, it plays MP3s or WAVs off a 4Gb card and runs on 2xAA batteries (20hrs playback). Interstingly the sound quality seems better using this and the optical input of the Desktop Portable rather than playing the same file via computer and USB.

So to answer the question of this thread, this has now become my preferred source as it is small and light, and does not require the boot up time of a UMPC. Sound quality is excellent. It is no big deal to transfer files to and from the card.

I am now particularly interested in the Micro Portable with DAC as I think this will complement the R-09 to make a lightweight, hi-fidelity rig.

This is the link to the player, and no I don't work for Roland.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...7&ParentId=114

Users who are viewing this thread

Back