Desktop amp for HE400's
Oct 15, 2014 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ziphyx

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Recently after much research I bought myself a pair of hifiman HE400's. I listened to them thoroughly and read a lot of reviews and threads concerning these headphones and amps to drive them. I am actually very pleased with these headphones though I feel like they could use a touch more juice. These headphones are obviously not for on-the-road use as they are basically speakers on the outside so I'm just looking for a desktop amp to drive them. Here's the deal; I listen to rock, rock 'n roll, indie and that kind of music mostly. I'm not a basshead but I definitely like the bass to be present and precise. The current setup I use at home is my laptop > focusrite scarlett 2i2 > HE400's. The focusrite is mainly for recording purposes but I use it as a DAC as well. My budget is around €200 or $250. I know this headphone is only 35ohms but I'm planning to buy some studio headphones (600ohm beyerdynamics maybe?) in the future so I'd like the amp to be able to drive those as well.

I know there's a lot of threads with somewhat the same question though where I live I don't really have to opportunity to test a lot of amps and chose the best sounding, as they are (almost) not sold in stores around here. I have to order them online. That's why I do a lot of research before I buy something :)

I probably forgot to mention a lot of information so feel free to ask. Thanks for your help and patience!

Oct 15, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 5
An amp that's good for 600 Ohm headphones won't necessarily pair well is a low efficiency model like the HE-400. Lower efficiency means you want an amp with more raw power (more current). High impedance means you want something with a higher voltage swing (you might notice that such amps deliver more power at higher impedances that those amps with "raw power").

So that's just a warning. I've been using a Schiit Magni with my Sennheiser HD600, and it sounds "good," but it's definitely "better" with my Valhalla. Magni should drive the 400's without any issue, and would probably sound "good" or "okay" with those 600 Ohm Beyers.

Oct 15, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #3 of 5
An amp that's good for 600 Ohm headphones won't necessarily pair well is a low efficiency model like the HE-400. Lower efficiency means you want an amp with more raw power (more current). High impedance means you want something with a higher voltage swing (you might notice that such amps deliver more power at higher impedances that those amps with "raw power").

So that's just a warning. I've been using a Schiit Magni with my Sennheiser HD600, and it sounds "good," but it's definitely "better" with my Valhalla. Magni should drive the 400's without any issue, and would probably sound "good" or "okay" with those 600 Ohm Beyers.

Thank you for pointing that out. I hadn't thought of that, but in that case, I prefer an amp that takes the full potential out of my HE400s. I haven't got any high impedance headphones (yet) anyway. I've read a lot of good things about schiit amps, but I have to order them online, they are not sold in stores around here. So I'm still undecided on that.

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #4 of 5
Thank you for pointing that out. I hadn't thought of that, but in that case, I prefer an amp that takes the full potential out of my HE400s. I haven't got any high impedance headphones (yet) anyway. I've read a lot of good things about schiit amps, but I have to order them online, they are not sold in stores around here. So I'm still undecided on that.
Schiit is all online. All direct. I think there are a few partners in Europe (still online), but don't quote me on that. If you have any other concerns about ordering from them, send an email. Their average response time is often measured in minutes.

I think I've heard that the Asgard sounds "better" than Magni, but Magni will give your 400's more than enough power. You probably don't need to get anything more than Magni unless you want the gain switch (for other headphones) and the Preamp outs (for speakers).

Otherwise, the O2 (Objective) tends to get a lot of love at the Magni price level. I don't have experience with that one, but it should still drive your 400's with authority.

Oct 15, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 5
Schiit is all online. All direct. I think there are a few partners in Europe (still online), but don't quote me on that. If you have any other concerns about ordering from them, send an email. Their average response time is often measured in minutes.

I think I've heard that the Asgard sounds "better" than Magni, but Magni will give your 400's more than enough power. You probably don't need to get anything more than Magni unless you want the gain switch (for other headphones) and the Preamp outs (for speakers).

Otherwise, the O2 (Objective) tends to get a lot of love at the Magni price level. I don't have experience with that one, but it should still drive your 400's with authority.

That's 2 options I have come across the most actually. I would like a gain switch and preamp outs, so that cancels out the Magni for me. I will compare the O2 and Asgard a little more and maybe send Schiit an email as you suggested. Thanks for your help! I am still open to other suggestions I have not thought about though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back