Denver summer meet, 2016 - August 27
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 28, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #136 of 156
Thanks again everyone who helped organizing this meetup ... it was definitely a great day ... for me ... not so much for my wallet and bank account ...

I am currently spending a bit more time with the RNHP demo unit before I have to send it back tomorrow as it need to travel to the UK for a review ... It would be great if some people who had been listening to it could post their impressions. I would like to collect them and send a summary to the team at Rupert Neve Design as a thank you for sending us that unit extra for our meeting.

I will write down some impressions during the next days and post them in here as well.

Hope to see you all again at another meeting

PHILIP

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #137 of 156
I didn't spend a lot of time with it, but I did quite enjoy the Modi 2 + RNHP + Denon AD-D5000.

That was one of my favorite things I heard. I listened to a little bit of Daft Punk and the Tron Legacy sound track. It's hard for me to focus on the RNHP since there was a couple things I'd never heard before in the chain. It seemed a strikingly clear and detailed sound. I thought the Denons were typically muddier or boomier on the bass. In that combo I felt like everything was clear. articulate and the bass was well presented in volumes that were just a treat. It was bass heavy but the presentation was so good. It didn't feel over powering to me, just really satisfying. If all I had was that combo I could safely say I would enjoy music. I thought there was great synergy there. Better than more expensive systems I've heard.

The only setup I would say I liked more was the Yggy with the tube amp (I'm not sure what that was). I know Neve makes good stuff and I want one. The problem is trying to find a place in my life for all the gear I think deserves to be bought. I want the Chord Mojo now too. Also really dig the Ethers. I wish I could have listened to those longer. There was some old Cavalli amp. That was an interesting setup. Impressive to see how far Cavalli has come. Nice little bit of history there.

My biggest regret from this little meet is that I didn't get a chance to hear more systems but I'm super appreciative to everyone who hauled stuff out. My horizons are slightly broader having been able to touch some more gear.

Aug 29, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #138 of 156
Had a great time at the meet, thanks everyone who was able to make it. Thought we had a fair turnout, was great to see some old faces and meet some new ones!

I was able to spent some time again with the Audio Zenith PMx2. A truly remarkable headphone, but the time I spent with it at the meet did not push me over the fence on purchasing one (at full price anyway). 

There were some nice koss portables floating around, was pretty cool to hear those and be reminded how awesome of a company koss is. 

Did really like the RNHP as well. It sounded really great, effortless presentation without a hint of grain. Also really liked the design of it, felt like a solid unit. 

Speaking about the HE-1000, I had heard that a few meets ago and didn't care for it much. I really enjoyed the sound signature this time around. Not a headphone I seem myself buying (mostly because of price), but enjoyed it nonetheless! 

Aug 29, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #139 of 156
Special thanks to @arteom for binging his turntable. I loved listing to his Pink Floyd albums!

I thought the HE-1000 was magical. If I had the spendable cash...I'd be tempted.

Also loved the Oppo1, the Chord and the Ether C's with the beefy portable amp. The Audio Zenith PMx2 were also stupendous. All great stuff, as was @NewEinstein's very vintage Senheisers' that he said belonged to his dad.

Also discovered that @OrganMonster's' Grado 325's loved the Rudistor SS 'no-capacitors in signal path', amp.

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #141 of 156
  Did anyone leave a 3.5mm to 6.5mm cable converter at the meet?

could be mine ... I handed that out to someone who needed one ... need to check in my cable-bag here if I actually got it back

EDIT: That seems to be mine ... cant find my adapter any more

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #142 of 156
As I did most of my listening with the RNHP amp I posted my impressions over in the RNHP thread -> http://www.head-fi.org/t/804255/rupert-neve-designs-announces-the-rnhp-precision-headphone-amplifier/45#post_12829427

It was definitely a great opportunity to have so many headphones available to test with the amp. Most impressive for me were the LCD4.

I had two goals for this meet:

- test the RNHP amp and decide if I want to buy one
- find a headphone to complement my HD650 and that is better for rock/electronic

I bought a RNHP which should arrive tomorrow ... and I found that headphone in the Denon D5000 which I also bought a used one now (waiting for it to ship). The RNHP + D5000 combo was definitely the biggest surprise for me and it was the most fun to listen to (but definitely not neutral ...)

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #143 of 156
*Complete noob here*  Any talk of a 2017 meet?  Something in the Colorado and surrounding state area?  I can't say I'd be able to bring anything to the table but enthusiasm, but I'd love to to be able to learn from you vets.

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #145 of 156
Mar 14, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #146 of 156
Yes, I did get the PMx2. At first I was not crazy about them. It seems that the audio system driving them was the issue. I have an old Schiit Modi dac feeding the Schiit Asgard 2. I tried a few other dac's now and I will be getting the PS Audio Steller DAC soon. The Steller is replacing the NuWave Dac but it still in beta mode right now. I have been working with the company PS Audio for the past 6 months and will be buying the new unit for both the organ project and also for personal use with my headphones. I will let you know when I do get the unit. It will be fun. 

Derrick

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #148 of 156
Add me to that list as well. I missed the last one due to work demands. I am still unhappy about that. I was at all of the previous meets and really enjoyed all of them!!

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #149 of 156
I am sadly no longer in the area ... so I will not be able to help with the organization any more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back