Denon DN-HP700 vs Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Ultrasone HFI-580
Jun 8, 2012 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Rainicorn

New Head-Fier
Can anyone reccomened any of these? I've found them all for good prices. I'm interested in the audio for each of them, or if there are any MAJOR design flaws in them. It would even be good if you could just cross one of them off my list 
beyersmile.png

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 13
Haven't heard the 580. The HP700 is a great value, great sounding. However I like the M50 better in all regards including but not limited to SQ, bass, treble, build and comfort. I would pick both over the Sony's you have pictured in your avatar.

Jun 9, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #6 of 13
I think HP700 wins over M50. M50 has a bit better bass extension but not more punch though but bass put aside HP700 wins easily over M50, there's a night and day difference in soundstage and the mids are a lot more forward and detailed. I concider subjectively M50 to be about 150~$170 worth sound quality and HP700 more like 250~$300 especially for the stunning soundstage and separation.

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
I think HP700 wins over M50. M50 has a bit better bass extension but not more punch though but bass put aside HP700 wins easily over M50, there's a night and day difference in soundstage and the mids are a lot more forward and detailed. I concider subjectively M50 to be about 150~$170 worth sound quality and HP700 more like 250~$300 especially for the stunning soundstage and separation.

We must agree to disagree on this one. The op should probably hear them both to decide.

Jun 25, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 13
Here i found this on a web site that compares the two.
http://www.shopping.com/xSBS-Audio-Technica-Audio-Technica-Professional-Monitor-Headphones-Collapsible-Ultrasone-HFI-580~PRDLT-41360058-50422779

Both are worn over the head
Usage of both are professional.
M50s have a stereo sound system while the HFI580s have a Surround system
Frequency range of M50s are from 15hz-28khz.   For HFI508 it's 10hz-22khz
Driver Unit size is 45mm for M50s and 50mm for HFIs
M50s are 38ohm and HFI 32ohm
They both weigh about the same

With the ATH-M50 professional studio monitor headphones, Audio-Technica has achieved an exceptionally accurate response and long-wearing listening comfort. Designed especially for professional monitoring and mixing, these studiophones feature an efficient collapsible design for space-saving portability and storage. 

Ultrasone HFI-580 headphones give you an incredible, well-isolated monitoring and listening experience in a comfortable, foldable design. Closed headpones can produce a perception that the sound source is in the center of your head, but not the HFI-580. Using improved S-Logic Plus technology, these 'phones give you an incredibly "room-like" sound sensation. Plus, the sound quality and perceived loudness allow you to use these headphones at substantially lower volume, reducing the risk of hearing loss.

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

I couldn't agree more with this. And if you want more bass on the HP700, just remove some thick foams inside the cups. And theres another very simple mod to get (way) better treble decay, sparkle and instrument separation, which makes them sound superb.

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #10 of 13
I've had the M50 and the HP700, and think they are about on par with each other. Personally for my tastes I like the M50 better, its sound signature is more exciting without straying too far away from neutral. The M50 has more aggressive sound signature and more bass quantity, though the tightness of the bass is a hint behind the HP700. The mids are also a tad recessed. The M50 is also more easily driven. I think the two headphones are equally detailed. The HP700 is more neutral overall. Vocals on this headphone have an...airiness (best I can describe them) to them that I really like. The soundstage on the HP700 is better, but it didn't wow me by any means. Build quality is about the same on both headphones, pretty solid. However I don't think I'd recommend either one for portable use, if that's a deciding factor.

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #11 of 13
Theres a mod you can do to the HP700 that will make them as "aggressive" as the M50's. Just remove those thick foams inside the cups and the bass will be twice as much. Replace it with some blu-tack, so that the bass won't get bloated. Then the mod for the highs that does miracles to these phones. Open just 1 hole in the fabric around the driver (outter circumference), using a thin round screwer. The result is a treble with more sparkle, cleaner, better decay, more micro-detail and better instrument separation like the D7000's. I've auditioned the D7000s vs those modded HP700 and the difference is almost unexistant (the HP700 still have more bass).

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #12 of 13
sorry to revive this thread but what did the previous poster mean by outer-circumference or does anyone have a link to the mods he is talking about?

Mar 11, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #13 of 13
Just want to add into this old discussion..... first the M40 is way better than M50, when you do A/B comparison you will find out, this is fact. Then M40 is pretty close to HP700/HP800. I find the mids a tiny touch better on HP800 and for me this is a close win for Denon. I compared both of these headphones on many songs and different genres. This is my opinion here. I got both of these... sent M40 back and kept HP800. Both are great headphones for sure. I do not understand why people by M50 or Sennheiser HD25 over M40, does not make any sense. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back