DENON DA-10 DSD - New portable DAC/Headphone AMP
Nov 3, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #136 of 353
It is such a shame that I cannot use the digital out of my A15 walkman with DA-10. I find myself craving more to DA-10 while I am HUGO. Not it does not make DA-10 technically better and for a lot HUGO is better sounding but for me DA-10 is more what I want and I am okay with it.

What is stop me enjoying it is the apple environment. 

Denon seem to placed all the key focus on Denon sounding great with apple products than with computers. As is it will be a lot of hassle getting it work with andriod products. 

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #137 of 353
i think setting the gain to high is adding to my disliking of the sound signature i am getting, so on normal gain the sound sig is good but it does not suffice the audeze, so now i will try to find if i add an alo rx mk3 will solve this, as when i set the gain to high in denon it just is noisy and everything falls apart, i am starting to miss my chord hugo

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #138 of 353
I am an iem user so I am lucky as I don't need much gain.

I only had an issue with one of my iem, rest so far has been working on my side.

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #139 of 353
I am an iem user so I am lucky as I don't need much gain.

I only had an issue with one of my iem, rest so far has been working on my side.

i really can't believe u put this close to chord hugo, no way is it near the chord in sq department the chord high is miles better

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #140 of 353
it should not come as a surprise at all - because from the very start - denon has profiled the da-10 as a partner especially suitable for apple products and denons own headphones. everything is not suitable with everything. simple as that.

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #141 of 353
it should not come as a surprise at all - because from the very start - denon has profiled the da-10 as a partner especially suitable for apple products and denons own headphones. everything is not suitable with everything. simple as that.

i thought since the denon headphones have great bass and are on the warm side, i thought that this will be sound sq in da10 but not at all its like flat, neutral and not to my liking unfortuently thats why i am selling it on the forum.

maybe i should start looking at hifiman daps as they say they have warm,and bass signature

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #143 of 353
DA10 has arrived 
Hot from Price Japan in a big brown box wrapped in industrial strength bubble wrap sealed in a plastic bag

In the box
The case contraption is interesting and would protect the unit and attached source in a bag but I will never use it as it is too bulky
Included cables are $2 items and a little disappointing at this price level but they work , I have better cables on hand so again I won't use them
Various pieces of paper warranties warnings quick guide etc 
Cd ROM version of the excellent user manual

DA10
Made in China serial # 5XX 
Build quality is OK , body is all plastic with a thin veneer of alloy top and bottom which is a little sharp at the edges . Switches have a positive solid feel , there is quite a bit of free play in the volume knob due I think to the on/off function but it works fine and the feel is good
Lights are refreshingly dim no search lights here 
Cable connections are all firm and positive

In use everything worked as expected , with my Ipod classic attached and the selector set to Ipod the classic came to life automatically when the DA10 was activated . With my Clas there was quite an elaborate start up sequence so this simpler routine is welcomed .
Connection to my laptop required a driver download which went without incident
Once again plug in , select USB , switch on and DA10 magically appears in my audio devices list

HD650
First session around three hours with the HD650 from my favorites selection on the Classic
Power is good driving the HD650 easily on low gain 
Sound is neutral with a slight mid bump there is a very pleasant sense of air in the upper mids similar to the HD650 on an OTL amp
Range and stage are both normal for the HD650 separation and definition are better in the high range 
Overall I think the DA10 pairs well with the HD650 although it is possibly a little light at the low end
AL32 processing seems to work well with my 16/44 collection on the Classic giving a soft smoother more tube style signature compared to the Clas

More soon

Nov 5, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #149 of 353
  I'm going to wait til they list the DA-10 on amazon.com, it cost way too much as an import. 

Wait a bit longer, once you see these on amazon US I can promise you that importing them will be far cheaper. Japan prices tend to fall rapidly. Right now they are on 380 AUD, that is 32 less than what I paid(which includes postage and forwarding cost).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back