Denon D7100?!
Aug 29, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #1,877 of 1,920
Crikey! wish I had read this thread a few days ago.... just got my hands on a pair of Denon 7100s and so far they sound absolutely &%^&%* awful. Ghastly.

I bought them to replace my very much loved all-time favourite headphones - Denon D-5000 - on which unfortunately the pin holding one of the earcups and headband together has snapped (I've jury rigged it back together).   I saw the 7100s at a good price and thought they must be the perfect replacement... but oh dear, they sound terrible - muddy soggy bass, dull slow treble.  In many years with headphones I've never heard any of them change radically during semi-mythical "break-in" periods.  

thanks goodness for UK distance selling regs!

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #1,878 of 1,920
that's a real shame.

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #1,879 of 1,920
that's a real shame.

Indeed.

Crikey! wish I had read this thread a few days ago.... just got my hands on a pair of Denon 7100s and so far they sound absolutely &%^&%* awful. Ghastly.

I bought them to replace my very much loved all-time favourite headphones - Denon D-5000 - on which unfortunately the pin holding one of the earcups and headband together has snapped (I've jury rigged it back together).   I saw the 7100s at a good price and thought they must be the perfect replacement... but oh dear, they sound terrible - muddy soggy bass, dull slow treble.  In many years with headphones I've never heard any of them change radically during semi-mythical "break-in" periods.  

thanks goodness for UK distance selling regs!

If you love the Denon D5000s, then the Fostex TH-600s are for you. They're better in every way, with more clarity and tighter, deeper bass.

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #1,880 of 1,920
Those Fostex phones are the old style Denons in trendy black are they not?  Wonder if they've done anything about that weak pin between cup and headband.

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #1,881 of 1,920
Those Fostex phones are the old style Denons in trendy black are they not?  Wonder if they've done anything about that weak pin between cup and headband.

They did, it's a stronger bolt. They're similar, but tighter-sounding.

Nov 1, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #1,882 of 1,920
Just a quick update. My D7100 are well past 400h. They go through a quite a transformation from around 150 to 300h mark.

At around 300h mark they have settled for me and no more changes really happened from that point in time.

They are very balanced and neutral headphones with plenty of musicality in them. Very good buy. I assume that haters never got to 300+ stage as the bass falls back into its place eventually and everything evens out to the extent that if not extra musicality would be present in them they would become a bit boring from all this neutrality.

They are very raveling and will show all the downsides of the system and sound best with low impedance amps. Did not try them with much of valve amps but the ones I did were not the greatest matches for them.

Cheers

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #1,884 of 1,920
My everyday setup is Eximus dp-1 and its built in head-amp.

Nov 11, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #1,885 of 1,920
the comments on the 1st page just love it 

just love how the ppl on this forum acts when hearing DENON name
they just saw some photos of the d7100 and instantaneously hate it

nice

this forum should be divided to 2 parts :

audiophile guys 
and fun guys

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #1,886 of 1,920
the comments on the 1st page just love it 

just love how the ppl on this forum acts when hearing DENON name
they just saw some photos of the d7100 and instantaneously hate it

nice

this forum should be divided to 2 parts :

audiophile guys 
and fun guys

We actually owned them, listened to them extensively, and then decided we didn't like them. But please continue with the misinformation. :rolleyes:

Nov 11, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #1,888 of 1,920
As you can see later in the thread, despite disliking the way they look I did order a set, but then sent them back after a few weeks due to them sounding horrible.

They're unsuitable to be Denon's flagship headphone and there are too many other models out there, in their price range (and below), that offer better performance.

Nov 11, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #1,889 of 1,920
As you can see later in the thread, despite disliking the way they look I did order a set, but then sent them back after a few weeks due to them sounding horrible.

They're unsuitable to be Denon's flagship headphone and there are too many other models out there, in their price range (and below), that offer better performance.

One major point I don't really like about the D7100 is that it uses the same drivers as the D600. The D600 sell for $340 and the D7100 for $1200. So, you're paying $800 for an enclosure difference? It was much more about having a diverse product line, so the D7100 had some cosmetic changes and they called is a "flagship" because it has wood accents.  Even the D600 sits uncomfortably in that price given its sound. 

Nov 11, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #1,890 of 1,920

One major point I don't really like about the D7100 is that it uses the same drivers as the D600. The D600 sell for [size=inherit]£2,330.96 ($340)[/size] and the D7100 for [size=inherit]£8,226.93 ($1200.).[/size] So, you're paying [size=inherit]£5,484.62 ($800)[/size] for an enclosure difference? It was much more about having a diverse product line, so the D7100 had some cosmetic changes and they called is a "flagship" because it has wood accents.  Even the D600 sits uncomfortably in that price given its sound. 

nice point of view .. i also thought of it but wasn't sure .. so what is the really difference between the two ?? .. how come they produce different sounds .. is it the wooden can ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back