Denon D7100?!
Feb 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #1,246 of 1,920
Quote:
Well the difference between listening to them through my iPod straight and my Colorfly is massive, maybe the DAC, but it is amped out of the Colorfly. They certainly make a combination that I enjoy anyway. I wouldn't ever say that you should never amp any headphones, especially ones that come with a 6.7mm jack lead option.

LOL okay, I guess I should clarify this just in case there's confusion later on.  What I mean is that that - if you're using a DAP - don't bother with the additional amplification.  All DAPs - unless you've found a way to listen to line out - are gonna give you amped output.  Just as your Colorfly has an amp, so does your iPod, as does my Zune, and so on. 
smile.gif

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #1,247 of 1,920
I think for any Denons, old or new, a good DAC is more important. They don't really need too much power to get loud, overamping them could have negative effects.

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #1,248 of 1,920
Quote:
I think for any Denons, old or new, a good DAC is more important. They don't really need too much power to get loud, overamping them could have negative effects.

Quote:

LOL okay, I guess I should clarify this just in case there's confusion later on.  What I mean is that that - if you're using a DAP - don't bother with the additional amplification.  All DAPs - unless you've found a way to listen to line out - are gonna give you amped output.  Just as your Colorfly has an amp, so does your iPod, as does my Zune, and so on. 
smile.gif

Thank You Gents (Assuming Male)... I really appreciate that, I was reading through this entire thread after the comments and thought that I had made a terrible mistake, not a cheap one either :)

Thanks Warrenpchi for clarifying that, I am more at ease now, and less confused as to why when running them from my Headline does not make them sound better at all and why the Colorfly will sound better than the iPhone. I was really baffled on that one! Now it becomes clear...I don't claim to know all that much at all, I just know that I am searching for the best that I can get to take on my travels.

And thank you LinkPro also, totally agreed, and I appreciate you comments regarding Denons and good DAC's...I really never set out to buy a pair of Denons, they just sounded so good straight out of my Colorfly that I couldn't help it. You are also of course very right, I don't even have my Colorfly at half power and it is quite enough! Although maybe for a track or two I pop it up a little bit :)

All in all, and I know that this is a D7100 thread, but I am genuinely really pleased with the combo of the Colorfly and the D7100's. It is essentially an upgraded portable rig from Grados and an iPod/phone, so perhaps it might become clearer why I think the sound is so much better.

I probably should have come on here and started asking questions, possibly, I am a physicist so know I have a tendency to start looking at numbers and curves, which is kind of why I didn't, I just wanted to listen.

For now, portability wise, I am really happy, I am even getting used to the looks of the D7100's, and they do go nicely with the Colorfly aesthetically. They are also ridiculously comfortable, can wear them all day easily, no more Grado ache.

I think I will be ready to try and strive for even better in about six months, at which time I will start to ask questions, or perhaps even come to a meet!

Anyway thanks for the nice non flaming posts. Reassuring that I am not a fool with money and bad ears :)

CHEERS!!

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #1,249 of 1,920
Quote:

Thanks Warrenpchi for clarifying that, I am more at ease now, and less confused as to why when running them from my Headline does not make them sound better at all and why the Colorfly will sound better than the iPhone. I was really baffled on that one! Now it becomes clear...I don't claim to know all that much at all, I just know that I am searching for the best that I can get to take on my travels.

We are all noobs in one way or another. 
smile.gif
  True wisdom comes in knowing that we are noobs. 
wink.gif
  Truth be told, as a premium DAP, I would not be surprised if your Colorfly outperformed your iPhone due to a better DAC or internal amp.  But as I have not owned/heard either piece of gear, and know very little of both, that is a guess at best.

Quote:

All in all, and I know that this is a D7100 thread, but I am genuinely really pleased with the combo of the Colorfly and the D7100's. It is essentially an upgraded portable rig from Grados and an iPod/phone, so perhaps it might become clearer why I think the sound is so much better.

For now, portability wise, I am really happy, I am even getting used to the looks of the D7100's, and they do go nicely with the Colorfly aesthetically. They are also ridiculously comfortable, can wear them all day easily, no more Grado ache.

And your comments are totally welcome!  I'm sure they would be of use for anyone with a Colorfly contemplating the purchase of a D7100 (or vice versa).  Your experience and impressions will serve as additional data points, and data is never bad.  It's the interpretation of data that gets tricky once in a while. 
wink.gif

Quote:

I think I will be ready to try and strive for even better in about six months, at which time I will start to ask questions, or perhaps even come to a meet!

CHEERS!!

I would definitely advise attending a meet.  They're a great place to learn, try out different gear, meet fellow enthusiasts, and have a good time.  I think you'd be surprised at just how friendly everyone is.  You would also be helping out others by sharing your gear and experience as well.

And, I've only now realized that it hasn't been said yet, but welcome to Head-Fi!  Sorry about your wallet. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #1,250 of 1,920
I bought my D7100 for 42x sterling pounds new, never opened straight from authorized UK distributor with one year warranty and 30 days money back. That is about 635$.

While the promotion lasted they were cheaper in this particular shop then D600.

Also D600 can be bought for around 330 euros in Europe which is about 435$.

I believe this is a steal in either case.

Anyway I am slowly but surely starting to love my D7100 as the burn-in progresses. They are very immersive headphones.

I am about into 50ith hour of listening of them and I would realy like for them stay the way they are :) but I think the biggest changes are still ahead of me.

Cheers

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #1,251 of 1,920
Quote:

We are all noobs in one way or another. 
smile.gif
  True wisdom comes in knowing that we are noobs. 
wink.gif
  Truth be told, as a premium DAP, I would not be surprised if your Colorfly outperformed your iPhone due to a better DAC or internal amp.  But as I have not owned/heard either piece of gear, and know very little of both, that is a guess at best.

And your comments are totally welcome!  I'm sure they would be of use for anyone with a Colorfly contemplating the purchase of a D7100 (or vice versa).  Your experience and impressions will serve as additional data points, and data is never bad.  It's the interpretation of data that gets tricky once in a while. 
wink.gif

I would definitely advise attending a meet.  They're a great place to learn, try out different gear, meet fellow enthusiasts, and have a good time.  I think you'd be surprised at just how friendly everyone is.  You would also be helping out others by sharing your gear and experience as well.

And, I've only now realized that it hasn't been said yet, but welcome to Head-Fi!  Sorry about your wallet. 
biggrin.gif

The single nicest and and most intelligent post to welcome someone to a group online I have ever had. If only the world could be like this. THANKS! And I will certainly be hanging around and reading and participating too :) Now see below for an explanation and a tip with regards to the wallet. :)

I was in a shop in the UK called Selfridges, you may know it, it is like a high end department store, but there are only like three in the UK, maybe more, but I think only 3. They sell a lot of headphones. They also have an amazing food hall which includes an amazing Champagne Bar. A Colorfly in my Pocket and Six of seven "France 77's" Later (Champagne with elderberry liqueur cocktail) I went headphone shopping and certainley did not get any discount of the MSRP :) It's OK, I can afford it .... it's almost worth it for the story : ) Don't drink n can shop!!

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #1,252 of 1,920
Quote:
I bought my D7100 for 42x sterling pounds new, never opened straight from authorized UK distributor with one year warranty and 30 days money back. That is about 635$.

While the promotion lasted they were cheaper in this particular shop then D600.

Also D600 can be bought for around 330 euros in Europe which is about 435$.

I believe this is a steal in either case.

Anyway I am slowly but surely starting to love my D7100 as the burn-in progresses. They are very immersive headphones.

I am about into 50ith hour of listening of them and I would realy like for them stay the way they are :) but I think the biggest changes are still ahead of me.

Cheers

I am really enjoying them too! But see above ... I paid more than TWICE that hahahahaha.....

I am noticing them starting to change a little after about 8 days of pretty heavy use....

By the sounds of things I am in for a lot more of that in the future....

Thanks for your comments, and for making me want to put a gun in my mouth :) :)

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #1,253 of 1,920

I paid $600 for a brand new pair of D7100's, I paid even less for my D7000's.

I use a Burson amp and it plays very nicely with my Denons.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #1,254 of 1,920
The TH-900 cost 2300 USD right now, the D7100 are 700 USD. Why compare the new Denons with headphones more than 3 times the price? Not very fair.

Yes they sell low as 700 dollars due to poor sales but the retail price is 1200 dollars

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #1,255 of 1,920
Quote:
Yes they sell low as 700 dollars due to poor sales but the retail price is 1200 dollars

Well, retail price is gonna drop. Who's gonna buy on sites that sell for 1200 when others sell them at 700...?

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #1,256 of 1,920
Quote:
Quote:

I'm actually not the world's biggest fan of the HD 650 by any means, so that determines a lot for me right off the bat.  I can see (or hear) why some people like them, they're just not mind-blowing in my book.  Actually, I've got a pair of HD 650 here on loan at the moment, so I'll give it another listen tonight to see how I feel about it. 

well, i dont like hd 650 either, that's why i sold them a while ago.

Sorry for being OT, just wanted to wrap this up from a few days ago...

Finally got my stuff unpacked from the SF meet last week and gave the HD 650 a go.  In some areas, they are very competent.  And again, I can see why a lot of people like them, particularly when paired with better components in the signal path.  But honestly, still not my cup of tea at this point in my journey.  Back in the box they go. 
smile.gif

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #1,258 of 1,920
Feb 25, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #1,260 of 1,920
 I don't really like this headphone (just me) but here is the lowest price from Amazon. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back