Denon D7100?!
Oct 7, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #1,036 of 1,920
Quote:
Yes. The 7100 to me looks like they had about 15 cooks in the kitchen and they tried to squeeze in a little of each one's ideas.

K550 looks ok, not aggressively bad. Somewhat understated throwback look.

The Momentum looks awesome in my opinion. Classy, grown up. Like they achieved exactly what they meant with it. Ultimately none of this matters I guess, but do the 7100s really sound so much better than the 7000 to warrant their price?

I mean, they way the outer pieces take on so many different shapes make it look like an accident or like some some user mod where they slapped these coverings on the wood that don't fit or go at all.

Plus the name "Music Maniac". The guys at Denon sure are tacky.

Remember that episode of the Simpsons where Homer got to design his own car?

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #1,037 of 1,920

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #1,038 of 1,920
Quote:

Plus the name "Music Maniac". The guys at Denon sure are tacky.

Remember that episode of the Simpsons where Homer got to design his own car?

perfect comparison.. nail on the head haha.. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #1,040 of 1,920
Quote:
Why... Why! While I may be deviating from popular opinion, I found the D7100 gorgeous. Yet, the impressions, the reviews... Even confirmatory bias can't save me now.

To be fair Nom it doesn't appear that everyone hates them. Even some reasonably experienced headfiers. If it floats your boat why not try it out? It may not be as bad as some are making out to be, who knows?

Oct 17, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #1,042 of 1,920
Quote:
To be fair Nom it doesn't appear that everyone hates them. Even some reasonably experienced headfiers. If it floats your boat why not try it out? It may not be as bad as some are making out to be, who knows?

Well said.
I happen to like them. Some others seem to do so as well, some hate them. Others agree with hating them just for the looks without even having heard them.
If you can try them out in a store it doesn't cost you a thing.
For me my D7100 + a TH900 seems like a nice combo.

Oct 17, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #1,043 of 1,920
I got to try the D7100 on the April Music Eximus DAC/amp at RMAF last weekend.  Unfortunately the D7100 sound worse than they look - muddled bass and rolled off highs.  They should have stuck with the D7000.  I'd rather buy the $300 V-MODA or $349 M-100 or Senn Momentum than these, and neither of those is really an audiphile headphone.  The TH-900 is much better, and noticeably improved vs the prototype I heard last year.  TH-900 is still overpriced at $1,999 but I can see it commanding $1200-$1400 as a fair price.

Oct 17, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #1,044 of 1,920
Quote:
I got to try the D7100 on the April Music Eximus DAC/amp at RMAF last weekend.  Unfortunately the D7100 sound worse than they look - muddled bass and rolled off highs.  They should have stuck with the D7000.  I'd rather buy the $300 V-MODA or $349 M-100 or Senn Momentum than these, and neither of those is really an audiphile headphone.  The TH-900 is much better, and noticeably improved vs the prototype I heard last year.  TH-900 is still overpriced at $1,999 but I can see it commanding $1200-$1400 as a fair price.

^ What he said. 
smile.gif

Oct 17, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #1,045 of 1,920
I got to see and hold the D7100 today. It looks a lot better in person. I was surprised that I didn't have to expand the headband to fit my head. Never a headphones that was so big that the fully retracted headband fit my head.

I didn't get to hear it because they didn't have a setup that would do it justice. I will go back with my own setup next week.

Oct 17, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #1,046 of 1,920
Quote:
I got to see and hold the D7100 today. It looks a lot better in person. I was surprised that I didn't have to expand the headband to fit my head. Never a headphones that was so big that the fully retracted headband fit my head.
I didn't get to hear it because they didn't have a setup that would do it justice. I will go back with my own setup next week.

Looking forward to your impressions sir! Yes the D600/7100 are quite big, just 1 notch down from the D600 fits my rather big/long head. I can see women or guys with small heads having fit issues.

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #1,047 of 1,920
Quote:

fairness in price is relative.. you have to remember that the Urishi finish on the cups of the TH900 alone is extremely valuable - some "googling" will show you small pens or a single wine glass with the same Urishi finish go at least $500+.

I agree that just for the audio quality and build $1400 may be reasonable (many agree its one of the best dynamic headphones in current production) add the valuable and beautiful Urishi finished cups and you are looking at $2000+. To me its fair, its a work of art both in terms of audio and visual beauty. For those who think the pricing is too steep the TH600s may be closer to the $1k margin and will forgo the Urishi coating/wood cups for matte metal cups (at least as far as the prototype shows).

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #1,048 of 1,920
Quote:
fairness in price is relative.. you have to remember that the Urishi finish on the cups of the TH900 alone is extremely valuable - some "googling" will show you small pens or a single wine glass with the same Urishi finish go at least $500+.

I agree that just for the audio quality and build $1400 may be reasonable (many agree its one of the best dynamic headphones in current production) add the valuable and beautiful Urishi finished cups and you are looking at $2000+. To me its fair, its a work of art both in terms of audio and visual beauty. For those who think the pricing is too steep the TH600s may be closer to the $1k margin and will forgo the Urishi coating/wood cups for matte metal cups (at least as far as the prototype shows).

I think sound quality is much more important than having Urishi finished cups, and if I have to give up sound quality to get a cheaper TH-600 then I may be out of the game altogether.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #1,049 of 1,920
Quote:

I think sound quality is much more important than having Urishi finished cups, and if I have to give up sound quality to get a cheaper TH-600 then I may be out of the game altogether.

To each is own. I like to display my audio so for me the extra $ was worth it (also note that I prefer the audio quality of the TH900s to the $2k LCD3s; add the better build/materials and aesthetics and its a no brainer), but I can understand the case against. Guess only time will tell how the TH600s perform compared to the TH900s.

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #1,050 of 1,920
Quote:
To each is own. I like to display my audio so for me the extra $ was worth it (also note that I prefer the audio quality of the TH900s to the $2k LCD3s; add the better build/materials and aesthetics and its a no brainer), but I can understand the case against. Guess only time will tell how the TH600s perform compared to the TH900s.

I've also wondered, why can't these expensive Urishi finished cups isolate external noise better?  I've had that same complaint with the Denon headphones, and many other closed headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back