Denon D7000 Review!
Mar 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #61 of 257
Mar 8, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #62 of 257
They are nice looking headphones but I really dislike their sound - they ring like crazy. The best Denon's I have heard were modded by Smeggy and completely destroy the sound of the stock D7000.

Doesn't Purrin have CSD's of this headphone proving it sucks?

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #63 of 257
They are nice looking headphones but I really dislike their sound - they ring like crazy. The best Denon's I have heard were modded by Smeggy and completely destroy the sound of the stock D7000.

Doesn't Purrin have CSD's of this headphone proving it sucks?

I'd call them "pitchy" with bad material, but I wouldn't say they ring. Modding really does make them bloom, however. Some damping and a little extra mass are required to bring out their best.

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #64 of 257
LOL you guys are funny.

I wouldn't say it sucks, but I think people should be aware of what they are getting. The OP did a good job describing these headphones and I largely concur with his views. Where we differ maybe is the treble "sparkle" aspect. The pair I measured had a nasty spike and resonance at 9k. I think I've referred to it as the "D7000 sharp razor of death." Personally I'm extremely sensitive to resonances in this area, but many others are not. The OP did have a good point that this spike is balanced somewhat by a mid and upper bass boost.

Another thing I've noted is that this spike differed on individual 'phones. Shane55's D7000 did not exhibit this behavior - at least not to the extent of the pair that I measured. I think my exact quotes were something along the lines of "screwdriver bring shoved in my ear" for the ones I got the measurements on.

I definitely prefer the more controlled bass on the D7000 compared to the D5000/D2000. This is largely what Smeggy's mod does, although there are other more subtle changes. The D7000s have a suckout somewhere in the mids, but compared to the ED8 (which are really "advanced" Beats) they certainly would have a lot of midrange. I had D5000s which I modded at one time in my life, but honestly I've since outgrown this kind of sound and prefer something more neutral with more clarity and articulation.

It's not a bad choice for a sealed phone, especially for those susceptible to its charms; and there aren't many good ones in the seal headphone category.

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #66 of 257
The D7000s already have a good cable. As for best cable, it depends upon what you what do to, and it's the last thing you should do.

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #67 of 257
The D7000s already have a good cable. As for best cable, it depends upon what you what do to, and it's the last thing you should do.

This. Cable changes are... umm... very low on the list (to be diplomatic about it) and you should do everything else first. If anything, I'm gonna recable mine with a lighter cable to make it more manageable, not because I expect, or even want, a change in sound.

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #69 of 257
What a review! It is really impressive, thank you!

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #70 of 257

Quote:

It's not a bad choice for a sealed phone, especially for those susceptible to its charms; and there aren't many good ones in the seal headphone category.

This maybe true, but there are better closed headphones for much cheaper.  I prefer the M50 by quite a bit.  And they measure better too.  No "razor sharp ringing of death". 

But to each his own.  Very thorough review, it's nice to see someone sit down a actually write a review!  Even if I don't agree. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #72 of 257

Quote:
This maybe true, but there are better closed headphones for much cheaper.  I prefer the M50 by quite a bit.  And they measure better too.  No "razor sharp ringing of death". 

eek.gif

Personally, never heard the D7000 myself, but the Razor Ringing of Death does look a bit terrifying. Seems to be at a really problematic spot to have ringing too: 

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #73 of 257
Really? I found the treble on the M50s much harsher. The bass also seemed more bloated on them, and the mids weren't as musical (rounded/liquid/warm) as the D7000s. But as you say, each to his own! The M50s are certainly way cheaper, so you're winning there.

Quote:

But to each his own.  Very thorough review, it's nice to see someone sit down a actually write a review!  Even if I don't agree. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #74 of 257
While the treble spike does exist, it isn't nearly as much of a problem as it seems. I'm pretty treble sensitive, and with a little EQing, it's almost completely gone. Also, at the moment I only need to EQ spotify (I use equality to do it), as far as I remember (I am out of state at the moment, I can verify this when I get back) I do not need to EQ foobar2000, which is where I store my FLAC content
I've noticed a definite correlation between the bitrate and sibilance.
And so far, I haven't noticed sibilance with my zune 30.

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #75 of 257

Quote:

I concur -- I will upgrade the cable as part of the LA7000 process, but only because they will already be there and I would not want to go 80-90% with a mod at this level.  Might as well go to 11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back