Denon D600 VS Senn HD 600/650 VS ?
Dec 9, 2012 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

payj

Head-Fier
I will be listening via macbook and ipod.

genre is hip-hop, rap, alternative and techno. Pretty much in that order.I will pair either one up with a fiio if need be. I want the build quality to be in your face as well.

Both get pretty good reviews overall. I overlooked the 80+ page thread on the D600's for two hours. I also looked at other threads and reviews. I feel pretty good about them overall. I am coming from $20 headphones. So the technicalities are pretty much null to me. But I want to buy once cry once if sort to speak. So I want to make the right descion first. Overall just want to have fun with them.

Open to others as well. No more than $450-$500 if you do suggest something else....

Dec 9, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #3 of 32
what kind music you listen? Do you plan to puschase amp in the future? say something about things like that so people can tell you
smile.gif

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #4 of 32
a vote for denons here.

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 32
Denons kill the Senns. When going from Denons to HD650s, the Senns felt dull and really didnt provide any benefit at all over the Denons. Plus the Senns need to be spoiled with an amp, and the build quality didn't seem as good.

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #8 of 32
take a look at the HE-400 thread.  i have not heard them myself but people love them (particularly for your genres of music).  if you're going to spend $500 on headphones, might as well take your time researching.  all the reading in the wold won't compare to actually listening to them but it should give you a ballpark idea of the sound signature. 

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 32
It would probably be wise to do as the user above suggested, and factor the HE-400 into the equation before any decisions are made.

Personally, I think the D600 is a terrible headphone and is ridiculously overpriced. But, it probably does pretty good with the genres you listed.

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #10 of 32
Can you elaborate on please katun?

All the research I have done points that the d600s are a great headphone overall. I have read reviews on this site including the 80 page thread. People get pretty technical, but overall the reviews are good. So I am a bit confused on your statement.

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #11 of 32
For bassheads, yeah, they're probably a "great headphone overall". But they are FAR from a "great headphone overall" when said as a general statement.

I just find they're a poor excuse for a high end headphone. Luxurious packaging, amazing cable, but awful sound. They sound very similar to Sony's $80 XB700, except the XB700 sounded a little better.

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #12 of 32
Hmm leaning toward the d600's. Just need a few more pats on the back before I pull the trigger.

Here, take this push on your back.

and LOL not even the XB1000 can compare with the D600, in fact nothing currently in production for Sony stands a chance. But to each his own.

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #13 of 32
Hmm gosh. Did a search on the he400 here and general web, between those and the d2000 which is most comparable to the d600 , people seem to prefer the he400 and there cheaper....why is this so freaking hard lol

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #14 of 32
Hmm gosh. Did a search on the he400 here and general web, between those and the d2000 which is most comparable to the d600 , people seem to prefer the he400 and there cheaper....why is this so freaking hard lol

The D600 is comparable to the D5000. Not D2000, the D600 easily owns the D2000 with my music preferences. If you just want bass the D2000 has the upper hand, but then again any Sony XB would do the job and are cheaper.

If you want the HE400 keep in mind they're harder to drive, while all the Denon sound great straight out of any source. That's what I love about them.

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #15 of 32
HE-400 can be looked(may need to buy amp for them which = more $$$$$$) at but the new denon ive seen so far have not been getting positive review, the main thing i hear is that these new model is a "step back" from the previous generation also i'm not sure about the comfort level of the denons, if you want opinion on basshead can check this guy 
http://www.head-fi.org/u/179563/malveaux and PM him with your question 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back