Denon D2000 vs. Audio Technica M50 vs. Shure SRH840 unamped and amped
Dec 2, 2010 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

vk93

Head-Fier
So I have pretty much narrowed my search down to these three headphones. I dont own an amp, atleast not yet and I for sure will not buy one along with any of these headphones. However I was wondering if someone can give me a full detail comparison of these three headphones when unamped and amped. Also, how do they sound with Hip Hop music, alternative music like Gorillaz, Radiohead, Linkin Park (add some mainstream alternative), etc., and other genres? If there are other headphones you guys think would be better, feel free to suggest them. Thanks!

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #3 of 49
Hey man, its great you got questions and everything, but have you searched through this site to find related threads? Because the people here are getting really bored of answering these same types of questions. You don't even want to know how many ATH-M50, and SRH840 threads there are here, like hundreds. Even the Denon's have a lot of threads. I suggest you look at all of those first.

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 49
Yes I have been looking through the threads, but alot of people have mixed feelings about the Denons portability and running unamped, so Im kind of confused by what the general basis is. Also no one has answered how the M50s and Denons and Shures compare unamped, so I was asking that.

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #6 of 49
Actually... all your questions have been answered. I know I've answered them before, but will do so again.
I have found that the differences amped to unamped for these three are minimal. That said, the D2000 benefits most from amping... but again, it's slight.

The M50 and 840 are both very easily powered by a good DAP. They, like everything benefit somewhat from an amp, but it's really not necessary as they both sound great unamped.
I liked the sound of the 840, but until you try them on, you will never know if your're one of those who find it painful (top of the head). I did, and so couldn't keep them. The 840 is great for other reasons, but I found that the right mix of everything in the M50. Comfortable, great sound, good isolation, blah, blah...

Good luck.

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #7 of 49
Thank you very much Shane. I just called a local guitarcenter to see if they offered the 3 above headphones. They had the m50s and shures, but not the Denon D2000s. Is there a place you know of where I could try them all or the Denons. If not, could you answer me the question of how good the Denon D2000s sound unamped when compared to the M50s and Shures?

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 49
the M50s have angled drivers. when I listened to them, I can feel their bass in right position. Their treble is quite extended, but a bit shrill. the soundstage is decent for a closed headphone. however, if you listen complex music genres like metal, you will find they are a bit small.

the denon ahd2000s beat the M50s largely in soundstage. Sure, because their price is more than double. you will find better mid as well as instrument separation, imaging.

I tried the shure srh840 1 time, they are neutral and a bit fatiguing

edit: your genres are not suitable with shures. I think you should try ath m50 or ultrasone

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #13 of 49
D2000 seems to have the most potential when I owned them but I figure they'll need a midrange oriented amp to bring those recessed mids out. The highs is annoyingly harsh to my ears but soundstage, imaging, and somewhat boomy but fun bass are great. The M50 is better balanced without the annoyance and sounds quite fine unamped. You can't go wrong with the M50 really.

What I'm trying to say is that out of a random setup, the M50 is more likely to better sounding; however the D2000 has the potential to beat them in an optimum setup. Both are great for your music.

Haven't listened to the Shures yet.

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #14 of 49
the d2000 sounds like what you are looking for, but I have not experienced the other headphones.  The d2000s benefit from dynamat mod/have the sound profile for your type of music/are easy enough to drive with an ipod and that sort.  I liked them alot, I regretted when my friend sold his pair to his other friend (I wanted them
triportsad.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back