Denon D2000 Sibilance....
Sep 8, 2011 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

nicholars

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

Hmmm I kindof like these Denon d2000.... Only problem is the treble hurts my ear drums... Is likely to calm down with more burn in or not?

Also how are the Audio technica m50's in this regard?

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 15
the pair i have were used when i bought them but not a hint of sibilance.

30+ hours should take the edge off i reckon.

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
the pair i have were used when i bought them but not a hint of sibilance.

30+ hours should take the edge off i reckon.

Thanks for the reply.... These phones are definately growing on me, although slightly tighter bass and slightly smoother highs would be perfect.... Its more like a massive grin then a smily face shaped EQ atm lol....

I also ordered some Audio technica m50's to see what all the fuss is about although I have a feeling they are not going to be as good as these.... Only way to see is to try them out myself I guess.... I was thinking of trying some ultrasone hfi 2400 as well but buying 3 pair of £150-£200 headphones at once is pushing it a bit!

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 15
The longer I listen to them the less these problems seem to be noticable....

Seems like these headphones do benifit a lot from burn in. Bass seems to be tigher and treble seems to be smoother.

Malveux thats a pretty monumental headphone collection you have there lol... How do you rate the D2000 compared to your other phones?

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 15
Have u noticed any problems with your D2000 such as fraying cables or ear cups falling off? How long have you had them for? I am liking the sound of them but I am a bit paranoid about freying cables and screws after readng about them :/

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 15
I had the D2000 and yes there is always sibilance especially on the voices but it add a certain charm to the sound along with accentuated details, it doesn't sound flat but more like "fun" home theater setup, one of the reasons i sold them, its nice at first but it quickly become annoying, this coloured sound...

ps : I have read that Markl mods add even more treble and sibilance.

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Have u noticed any problems with your D2000 such as fraying cables or ear cups falling off? How long have you had them for? I am liking the sound of them but I am a bit paranoid about freying cables and screws after readng about them :/

Was the D5000's that suffered with the fraying cables from what i've read on here. Ear cups are solidly held in place with 4 screws, can't imagine them ever falling off really.

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:

Heya,

I take care of all my equipment, so no, not a single headphone in over 10 years has fallen apart or received damage.

I'm sure I could break them if I tried.

Don't let a few isolated instances proclaimed and copy/pasted by the masses on the internet sway you. It's still one of the best headphones you can get in the tier.

Very best,

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #12 of 15
The cord of the D2000 is really stiff and retains a memory after you remove it from the box, and if you try to straighten it out of a tangle, you'll start getting frays from where the cord was bent sharply.  To alleviate the tension and help it lose its memory, you can wrap the cord on a circle the opposite in which it came in.  That should help reduce fraying.

As far as sibilance goes, they are a bit sibilant from a treble spike.  Sibilance is half the problem of the recordings themselves though, so it's not just a headphone's fault when dealing with sibilance.  You can use an EQ or a warm tube amp to help subdue the treble a bit.

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #14 of 15
Sibilance on the D2000 and D5000 really bothered me and I had to return them. M50 definitely reminds me of the D2000, although the bass doesn't thump as hard, but the highs also don't hurt my ears. And this doesn't have anything to do with the sound, but the headbands are practically identical.

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #15 of 15
Tbh since I have a) burned them in some more b) changed my EQ settings.... The treble is not fatiguing anymore.

I think reading too much into forum posts of damaged headphones etc. Is probably a bad idea because there are so many people on the internet that it makes things blown out of proportion....

Anyway so far I am VERY impressed with these headphones overall after using them for most of today... Sibilance / fatiguing treble has basically gone now iv burned them in / EQ'd them.

Tbh they do seem very well made.... and tbh they sound awesome! Frankly in terms of listening enjoyment they give the shure 840's a serious whupping! Hopefully they will be ok!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back