Denon D2000 problem.......
Nov 9, 2011 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

limpmeat

New Head-Fier
I just received a pair of Denon D2000s after waiting a month on backorder.

These headphones are just what I was looking for, great sound, very comfortable.

Unfortunately they developed a problem after a few hours use. The right driver cuts in and out, for a few minutes at a time. When the driver is working it sounds totally fine. I have played around with the cable, wiggling it at the points where it connects to the jack and the headphones, and this seems to have no effect. Which I assume rules out the cable as the fault.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Could it be a bad solder joint where the cable meets the driver?

I doubt the driver has anything wrong as when it works it sounds great.

I'm keen to fix this myself, as I like tinkering with electronics and can solder pretty well. Also the warranty process looks like a PITA.

Any Ideas?

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 13
You are sure that in is not the connection? If you use one of those extra plugs they will do that. You must plug them directly into an amp that you know has a good connection. Sorry other than that I have no help. Good-luck.

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for your suggestion.

I thought it could be the 1/4" adapter, so I took it off and plugged into a 1/8" out on my MP3 player, and the right channel still has the same problem

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 13
Think twice about tinkering with them, if you're handy with a soldering iron and it's a simple solder issue
then you'll save yourself time.

If a driver is faulty and you've opened them ~ Denon will shut the door 
frown.gif

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 13

The Denons are easy to take apart if you want to inspect the wiring for yourself. Hold the cup in one hand and press firmly against the pad with the palm of your other hand and twist counter clock wise. The pad should just then easily pry off revealing 8 screws. Using a small phillips screwdriver, unscrew the 4 (black?) screws recessed inside the holes where the pad locks in. You can then just pull the cup off to expose the back of the driver and wiring.

If you use the appropriate screw driver and don't strip anything, Denon shouldn't be able to tell you that you took anything apart.

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 13
I thought about the tinkering cancelling the warranty. I'll see how I go disassembling it later tonight, maybe i'll chicken out :)

I don't know too much about speakers/drivers. I kinda thought when they go, they go. Not have intermittent problems.

Is this right?

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #8 of 13

So, I opened up the earpiece.

The soldering looks a bit dodgy, but i've seen worse.

On the pic above (not mine) it shows where the cables are soldered to the driver terminal. Before resoldering anything I want to check continuity, should the outer 2 pads (where the cables are soldered on) be connected to the 2 pads inthe middle?

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Think twice about tinkering with them, if you're handy with a soldering iron and it's a simple solder issue
then you'll save yourself time.

If a driver is faulty and you've opened them ~ Denon will shut the door 
frown.gif

I don't think Denon would be able to tell if the D2000s have been opened up or not, so long as nothing was messed with inside.

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #11 of 13
I stopped myself from tinkering with them. I wanted to check first to see if I could get a replacement driver from Denon, thought it might be cheaper/faster than the return registered post to Hong Kong to get them replaced/refunded (I bought them through ebay, I didn't think about international warranties etc)

Anyways, Denon told me they don't offer replacement drivers for either the D2000 or D5000 as a spare part. What? the D5000s are a $600 headphone and you can't fix them, just toss them away when the drivers wear out? How obscene!

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #12 of 13
I don't think they will offer you replacement drivers without checking it. Instead Denon will ask you to send the headphone to somewhere to fix it and drivers will be offered from Japan if needed.

Quote:
I stopped myself from tinkering with them. I wanted to check first to see if I could get a replacement driver from Denon, thought it might be cheaper/faster than the return registered post to Hong Kong to get them replaced/refunded (I bought them through ebay, I didn't think about international warranties etc)

Anyways, Denon told me they don't offer replacement drivers for either the D2000 or D5000 as a spare part. What? the D5000s are a $600 headphone and you can't fix them, just toss them away when the drivers wear out? How obscene!

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #13 of 13
I wasn't trying to get them to send a replacement driver for free, I was trying to buy one through their spare parts division. The person I spoke to said they can supply pretty much every other part of the headphone as a spare. 

Oh well, I guess I'll bite the bullet and send them back to HK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back