Denon d2000 no bass. Help!
Jan 16, 2013 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

wntrsnowg

New Head-Fier
First thread post, but long time lurker. Just got a d2k off the sale forums here and i notice they have no bass, which is strange seeing as they are legendary bass cans. Seller claims them to be burned in. I have hooked up to multiple sources including a laptop, desktop motherboard , asus xonar dg in my desktop, ipod 3rd gen, ipod 3rd gen line out to fiio e5.

I also bought a ultrasone pro 750 on amazon in hopes of comparing these and only keeping one. The 750 has been burned in and has more bass (and is a higher ohm headphone).

So im a little confused. Was i sold a broken d2k? Sorry for the long read.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 12
Try sinegen on Windows. Anyway, IMO the Denon D2000 don't have that much midbass but they have a nice level of subbass compared to other headphones that I have heard. Also they don't add extra bass to songs that aren't already bassy.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 12
I also found them to have insufficient bass for my tastes.  I owned them twice and couldn't get into them.  You might try the SoundMAGIC HP100s or the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros if you want a more satisfying bass response.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 12
saw thread title, figured amp was insufficient, entered thread and was pleased.  Get a real amp.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 12
If you want, you can make the Denons absolute bass monsters. I was in your position too when I first received mine, but I noticed it wasn't that they were bass deficient, they were just focused on a different aspect. It's really hard to truly grasp subbass until it's actually experienced, as VERY few headphones can truly do it. Midbass is quite level compared to the rest of the bass, and it really takes some adjustment to appreciate the bass the Denons give. Now, with the FiiO E11, the bass EQ set to 2, and a little more bass EQ on my source, and the Denons can have bass out of this world. To the extent where even a basshead may think it's too much. I do suggest a slight EQ though, and you could also listen to "Papers" by "Usher" if you want a good test of subbass performance. If you don't have an amp, though, they probably will sound very bass deficient. Amps do waaay more than volume increasing.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 12
You ahouldnt need to eq or add bass boost to any of these phones. Just get a proper amp. Stop goofing around with e11's and e7's. Get an e9 at a minimum. I use a magni and its crush mode. You guys spend 200-300 bucks on cans but cheap out on source/amp. Spend 100 to 200 for a magni or odac/o2 or tubemagic.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #10 of 12
I hope that post was a joke.  Going from E11 or E7 to E9 isn't going to magically make his Denon have bass.  As it stands, with the iPod itself, and the Xonar soundcard, the Denons should already have a lot of bass.

Two possible problems:

1: you're used to subwoofers or big speaker setups and/or car audio
2: you're trying to play bass-light songs through them.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #11 of 12
Ok fair enough I dont know what songs hes trying with, and maybe my idea of bass is not what can be produced from an ipod or e7. Personally going from the e7 to magni was night and day with bass. Maybe he just has a lemon or something happened during shipping.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for the responses guys.  I've tested, and continue to test, a wide variety of music.  Most of which I have listened to different ways (different headphones, different HT setups, etc.) and I know where bass should be. I don't expect the d2ks to make bass where it isn't supposed to be.  I was mainly trying to make the point that, from what i've read, the pro 750 and d2k should be bass heavy.  The pro 750 has, i would say, nearly twice as much bass at the moment played from the same source(s).

Quote:
You ahouldnt need to eq or add bass boost to any of these phones. Just get a proper amp. Stop goofing around with e11's and e7's. Get an e9 at a minimum. I use a magni and its crush mode. You guys spend 200-300 bucks on cans but cheap out on source/amp. Spend 100 to 200 for a magni or odac/o2 or tubemagic.

I've read that the E9 has too high of output impedance for a can of such low impedance (25 ohms).  From what I've seen around, a low impedance amp must be paired for best results

And btw TMRaven, I saw in your signature your comparison of the d2000 vs. HE-400 and I will listen to the songs used in your comparison. That should give me some basis of comparison with my d2000, roughly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back